Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just got a new 2020 Veloster N PP and have like 250 miles on it now. I've never driven on a track before and I don't know anything about car internals. I want to learn both though. I signed up for a HPDE event in a couple months time.

What should i focus on learning and doing to the car before i take it there?

· Administrator
2,102 Posts
Proper entry and exit on a corner. With this car you can smash the gas midway through the corner without much drift or spinning out. Make sure you have over 600 miles on the car before you go to the track. The motor needs to be broken in first. You will have a blast with it. Let me know if you decide to modify the suspension a little. I have a GREAT set-up and now the car handles like a Porsche. No joke.... Have fun and stay safe! Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

Best regards,

-Mike

· Registered
17 Posts
The car is pretty well setup for track use from the factory. If you’re going to do anything to the car, I would say get better tires. The stock Pirellis leave a lot to be desired when they’re pushed to the limits.

You may want to try driving the track in Forza or another game before you do it in real life. Or at least watching videos of others driving the track. Knowing the track really helps

· Registered
184 Posts
Quirky's Track Day Tips:

• Drink lots of water the day before and day of, it's easy to get dehydrated standing out in the sun all day and sitting in a hot car
  • Come prepared. Bring a chair, water, snacks, sunscreen, and an open mind. If you have them: jack, basic tools, torque wrench, pressure gauge, and a camera.
  • Learn the track beforehand through videos and track maps, if you can find a turn by turn guide that's even better.

Not must haves but are nice:
  • Different tires and wheels for the track, a good 200tw is perfect.
  • Better brake fluid and pads

Welcome to the addiction!

· Registered
61 Posts
Good advise already posted. If this is your first time taking a car on the track, learning your corner entry, apex and exit will come with time. Not a rule of thumb but when I'm at a new track I look for some of the Miata locals, place yourself behind him and watch and follow them way around the track but note you'll most likely be using more brakes then those 2400 lb ballerinas.
Regarding the OEM tires, they are MEH, OK for the street and OK for learning the car on the track. I'd recommend dropping the pressure prior your session, the recommended pressure listed is far to high for track work. When on the track they will give a lot of audible feedback, all most too much but again OK for learning the car and track.
Regarding the car as a whole, it's pretty well set up from the showroom, I personally haven't had any issues with over heating or boiling the OEM brake fluid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.