Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm (eagerly) awaiting the (eventual) arrival of my Veloster N, I'm thinking about what things I'd like to do to it from the get go. I was hoping for some input on what you've all experienced with yours, and what you'd recommend for a new N right off the lot.

I definitely think I want to do some sort of paint protection, but I was wondering what is the best solution.

Would it make most sense to get PPF/a clear bra on the front end of the car and then have it ceramic coated after the fact to help protect the rest? Or is just one or the other sufficient (just a bra, or just ceramic coating)?

What approach did you all take, or what would you recommend?

I'm seeing most people on this forum saying they paid anywhere from $750-1500 for a ceramic coating, but I haven't gotten a sense for how much front end PPF would cost. I'm wondering if it is worth it to do both, or if one or the other would be sufficient.

Appreciate any input/feedback!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I went the DIY method with Avalon King coating not long after I got my VN as there wasn't much paint correction needed (some build-up on the wing and a couple other places where the protective wrapping was done for shipment needed attention with a clay bar). The paint on these is quite thin as is the clear coat. The ceramic coating helped smooth out the clear. I would still recommend the clear bra on top of the coating especially if the VN is going to be a daily driver. The ceramic coat can only protect so much.

·
Registered
2020 Manual Performance Blue N, stock. PPF on front.
291 Posts
Actually it's best to get the entire front end of the car wrapped in ppf including:
-front bumper
-full hood
-full fenders
-headlights
-mirror caps
You could also do the lower rocker panels.
After that is completed you could get the whole car ceramic coated.
Note:you put the ceramic coat ing on top of the paint protection film, not the other way around.
Just watch a few YouTube videos.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually it's best to get the entire front end of the car wrapped in ppf including:
-front bumper
-full hood
-full fenders
-headlights
-mirror caps
You could also do the lower rocker panels.
After that is completed you could get the whole car ceramic coated.
Note:you put the ceramic coat ing on top of the paint protection film, not the other way around.
Just watch a few YouTube videos.
Thanks for the info! I'll most likely look to get the PPF done first, then a ceramic coating after the fact.

Would something like this work? 2019-2020 Hyundai Veloster N 3M Pro Series Clear Bra Deluxe Paint Protection Kit

Did a quick google search and that's what came up. I'd have it installed professionally, but does it make sense for me to purchase the kit myself and then bring it to a professional to have it done? Or do they usually procure it themselves?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've done a lot of research on this and from what I've read the most important thing is to find a very competent paint protection film installer.
Secondly most good installers will not use full kits but will use bulk film and wrap the edges it's better to wrap the edges because when you use a kit there's always parts of the car that are still exposed. Best thing is to go on YouTube and do a little research.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done a lot of research on this and from what I've read the most important thing is to find a very competent paint protection film installer.
Secondly most good installers will not use full kits but will use bulk film and wrap the edges it's better to wrap the edges because when you use a kit there's always parts of the car that are still exposed. Best thing is to go on YouTube and do a little research.
Got it, appreciate the info. It looks like a clear bra is going to run somewhere around ~$1500 to cover most of those spots you mentioned. Not too bad, but also thinking about doing a ceramic coat on top of that will bring it to around $3000, not something I'd love to drop immediately after shelling out for the car itself too.

If I were to prioritize one initially, would you all recommend the clear bra first? And then eventually either a) try my hand at doing a ceramic coating myself or b) have it done professionally. I figure a clear bra + a good wax/sealant could hold me over for a while until I get a ceramic coat.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Got it, appreciate the info. It looks like a clear bra is going to run somewhere around ~$1500 to cover most of those spots you mentioned. Not too bad, but also thinking about doing a ceramic coat on top of that will bring it to around $3000, not something I'd love to drop immediately after shelling out for the car itself too.

If I were to prioritize one initially, would you all recommend the clear bra first? And then eventually either a) try my hand at doing a ceramic coating myself or b) have it done professionally. I figure a clear bra + a good wax/sealant could hold me over for a while until I get a ceramic coat.
I would do the paint protection film first and then use a product called "Rejex" until you put on a ceramic coating.
Rejex is much better than a wax, lasts around 8 months to a year.
That's what I'm doing and then next spring I'm going to put on car pro Cquartz UK 3.0 ceramic coating over the entire car including the ppf.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sounds like you came to a good decision. I had the front clip (front, hood, fenders) Clear braed and then the whole car ceramic coated (including the outside of the wheels). I think it was $1800-1900. Very pleased with it 9 months later. I have 4900 miles, no rock chips or dings. I am careful with it. I had it on a road course track for a 2 day driving school, and no issues with chipping

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like you came to a good decision. I had the front clip (front, hood, fenders) Clear braed and then the whole car ceramic coated (including the outside of the wheels). I think it was $1800-1900. Very pleased with it 9 months later. I have 4900 miles, no rock chips or dings. I am careful with it. I had it on a road course track for a 2 day driving school, and no issues with chipping
I'm hoping to do the same thing. I've decided at the very least I plan to get a clear bra immediately once I get the car, it's a question of whether I'll also get a ceramic coat from the get go, or do what Maverick suggested and do some sort of sealant in the mean time and eventually apply a full ceramic coat (either professionally or myself). If I could get a quote for both for what you paid, I'd probably hop on that. Still need to shop around to find something in that price range (initial quotes were ~$3000).

Another thing: I want to get a tint done. I'm guessing this needs to be done before I get a ceramic coat too, right?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Tinting the windows is the least expensive of the three.
I would get the ppf done first to prevent getting any chips on your new car.
Then get the windows tinted.
And finally put on a good long lasting sealant on the paint for the winter.
Over the winter do some research on ceramic coatings and decide which one is best for you.
That's my plan anyway.
I've watched enough YouTube videos to feel confident in applying the ceramic coating myself.
I can do all the prep work:
-washing
-degreasing
-iron removal
-clay bar
Then take the car to a pro for the final polishing, paint correction, before I apply the ceramic coating.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm getting paint protection film applied to my car tomorrow, full front end, and I'm debating putting black film on the roof, what fo you guys think?
It will not only give the car a unique look and stand out from all the other perfomance blue N's, but will also protect the paint on the roof.
My installer quoted me $200 for the roof and shark fin antenna.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have seen pictures of the VN with the black wrap on the roof and I really like it! It looks very "natural" as there are many different vehicles on the road these days with coloured roof options.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm getting paint protection film applied to my car tomorrow, full front end, and I'm debating putting black film on the roof, what fo you guys think?
It will not only give the car a unique look and stand out from all the other perfomance blue N's, but will also protect the paint on the roof.
My installer quoted me $200 for the roof and shark fin antenna.
Funny enough, I'm planning to do the exact same thing with my Perf. Blue once I have my hands on it. I'd say go for it - like Ulysses said, I've seen a few pictures of some roof wrapped Ns and I really liked the look, so I plan to do it. I'm thinking about wrapping the A pillars to match the roof wrap too - I think that looks particularly nice as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts