Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just rolled over to 6,000 miles on my ‘20 N. On the interstate tonight, about 10 minutes from home, my N completely lost power steering. Switching between modes changed nothing and I still had no EPS. Turning on the off ramp required quite a bit of effort, but as soon as I was able to stop and pull over somewhere safe, I turned the engine off and then back on. On restart, I had full EPS again. I had no EPS light or check engine lights during the failure or after.

I’m starting to think this may be a problem for some of the N’s out there, as there is another post in this sub forum reporting another power steering failure. Has this happened to anyone else? Thoughts, comments?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ever drove a car with no power steering? Sitting still (like turning out of a parking spot) sucked and proved that people were built different back then. However at any speed, the steering got easier. I would have thought it would follow those rules but maybe my thinking is off due to power steering pump creating restriction?

Glad you got it over safe, but hit up the dealer and see what they say, most ECUs monitor and report for repeat faults, not the first instance, maybe the ECU logged it and it can help them debug as that does not seem fun at all. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Old cars with no PS had very little caster and steered much more easily than modern cars with lots of caster. That's why modern cars suck so much when the PS goes out.

If it's working now, I'd take it back to the dealership and let them know what happened. Get it in writing and have them inspect it. Chances are they will find and do nothing since it works now. But if it happens again, you need to have it in writing that it's not the first time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened to me last Friday in the middle of a 1500-mile trip. Was able to pull off the freeway and power steering came back after restarting the car. Freaked me out for a bit. Will have the dealer check it next time I get an oil change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts