Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm in the process of buying a 2020 VN + performance pack from Carvana (2020 Hyundai Veloster - Carvana) and thought I'd join and say hi. I know the 2020 doesn't have as many safety features as the '22 or the cool seats.

The VN I'm looking at has about 21k miles on it, and I'm planning to get a full inspection and compression test done on it immediately after buying it. I recently had a very bad experience with Carvana buying a Focus ST that ended up being a POS (it has a bad oil leak and compression came back BAD) but I'm swapping out the ST for the VN and am a bit nervous.

Is there anything in particular I should look out for on the '20 VN? Are there any common mechanical issues or otherwise? Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
hmmm for a 20 vn only known issues i know is the HPFP on the cars make sure to check for leaks and make sure to go under it and check for yourself and the engine to see if there's aftermarket parts on it other than that you're good to go, make sure tires aren't bald also.

·
Registered
2019 smol PP
293 Posts
Peeling clear coat on wheels.and HPFP are the worst. I forget if the '20s already had the knock detection flashed but you should Google that TSB to see if it applies.

Definitely do your due diligence checking for prior mods, especially drivetrain stuff like piggybacks, downpipes, BOVs, or sloppy intercooler installs. You'd be hard pressed to find a never modded VN and there are some ppl out there who have no idea what they're doing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'm actually going to switch to a 2022 after all 😅 the newer seats and the safety features are too cool to pass on. I'll have to do some research on HPFP and the clear coat issues. If I keep it, I plan to get it professionally detailed and ceramic coated so hopefully that helps. Are the clear coat issues isolated to wheels or does the body paint have issues with it too?

·
Registered
20 VN PP MT Perf. Blue, 22 KN Sonic Blue
112 Posts
I had my HPFP go out. But your car is still under warranty, so I wouldn’t over stress about it. It’s worth looking into upgrading to the hpfp they use in the tcr VN. This is applicable to both 20 and 22 VNs. I have a 20 VN and a 22 KN and I like the more simplistic stuff in the VN since I use it for the track. Honestly the 20 has served me well. For daily driving though it’s nice to have the more safety of the KN. Either way welcome! Hope you enjoy the VN

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm in the process of buying a 2020 VN + performance pack from Carvana (2020 Hyundai Veloster - Carvana) and thought I'd join and say hi. I know the 2020 doesn't have as many safety features as the '22 or the cool seats.

The VN I'm looking at has about 21k miles on it, and I'm planning to get a full inspection and compression test done on it immediately after buying it. I recently had a very bad experience with Carvana buying a Focus ST that ended up being a POS (it has a bad oil leak and compression came back BAD) but I'm swapping out the ST for the VN and am a bit nervous.

Is there anything in particular I should look out for on the '20 VN? Are there any common mechanical issues or otherwise? Thanks in advance. :)
A leak-down test is much superior to a compression test. Ask any racing mechanic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts