Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am considering either a red or blue 2020 N PP. I was wondering if there are any widespread major issues with the car that I should be concerned with. Just a little background about myself... I had a Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged for six years, then traded that in for a 2014 Focus ST. The ST had major electrical issues that caused the car to bog and literally stall when coming to a stop, multiple times a day. It was a known widespread issue that at the time Ford didn't know the exact root cause of, and could not fix it. I ended up having to trade the car in after 3 years into my 5 year lease. I ended up getting a new CX3 2016 full loaded, with every intention to trade that in early and go back to a stick. So that pretty much brings me to now. Needless to say I do not want to go through what I went through with the ST again, so any info you can provide would be great. Also, how would you say the interior compares to say an ST as I know thats one of the biggest drawbacks of the N. I appreciate any info you guys can provide.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Most wide spread issues are things like the rear view mirror vibrating in N mode around 3k rpm, or the drivers door handle getting stuck in freezing temperatures. Nothing else really comes to mind. Some people had quality issues with clear coats on the 19 inch rims as well. All of those problems to my knowledge can be and have been easily resolved with the dealerships. Oh and the brakes bind to the disks in certain situations. Usually after they heat up and you pull the ebrake and they get wet/humid. Not really a problem, it just makes a lound bang when they release and people dont like that. It doesnt happen alot to most people from what ive seen.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If reviews hadn't harped on it you wouldn't even notice the interior being substandard with the plastics...

Spend some time reading the different N forums...I haven't noticed any widespread problems to date. To me it seems like the 5th to 6th shift has been the most unified complaint so far. I have the issue, not all the time, I've learned how to mitigate it. Solutions have ranged from replaced syncros to adjusted shift linkages.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have had two N a 19 base model and now a 2020 Performance Pack. the e-brake binding and the door latch freezing are the only problems i have had . with the door i open the passenger door and push the drivers door open. the E-brake i simply release and give it a quick bump in first . I had proposed that the base was perfect for me but i got a great deal on the PP so i up graded. It is the most fun car i have driven and i have had close to 35 different cars and trucks. It will still get great mileage on the highway using eco mode and cruise i have gotten 35.4 what's not to love about the car. Just don't expect to fit 4 people in it for a cross country trip.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Another known minor issue is that this car comes with a sound generator that people have complained will make a vibrating/rattling noise in th 3k+ rpm range. Most people including myself have just disconnected it. Some people have experienced LSD warnings on their cluster gauge, but I don't think it was an issue once they brought it to the dealer or disconnected their battery for a period of time. I'm not certain on what the issue was with these folks, but it doesnt seem to be a bad one considering what ive read on it. The peeling of the clear coat on the factory wheels will be a bit of an annoyance, but I've got my car in the dealership now having them handle that. My dealership wont handle all 4 wheels right now because "The issue isnt bad enough yet" total garbage in my opinion, but thats been my experience so far. So far I can't say there have been many folks with serious issues with the car. Solid vehicle.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Your issue with the ST sounds a lot like the issue I had with the FRS I traded in to get my VN. The FRS issue stemmed from incompetent machanics installing a new engine however, but the problem was exactly the same as yours.

The only reason I traded it in, honestly, is that I spoke to a salesman who accepted the trade in WITHOUT AN INSPECTION and didn't ask any questions (except whether it was manual and color) so I got a great trade in- more than other places had offered.

As for issues with the VN. I've had some buzzing around the windscreen area, but it stopped on its own. Others removed the sound generator to get rid of the buzz.

I've read about door handle issues too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts