Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my Veloster N PP a couple of weeks ago, and have been loving it ever since.
Just a few days ago I started to get what feels like a misfire at lower RPMs (right around 2500-3000) that doesn’t go away until the engine is completely warmed up.
It’s bad enough that it feels nearly like the car is “bucking” so to speak.
No check engine light comes in, but you can feel it stopped with the car in neautral as well.
The car only has just over 400 miles on it currently, only used Premium gas to fill and haven’t “gotten on it” too much as it still isn’t out of the break in period.
I’m not too worried as there is obviously a warranty on the car, and I will probubly be in contact with the dealer soon, but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this issue as well?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have experienced a couple of stumbles that feel like a fuel delivery glitch - part throttle with motor not warmed up yet. I'm not sure that it is frequent or severe enough for me to worry about at this point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A fuel delivery issue seems like a possibility, though mine has been doing it steadily for the past several days.
Added to that, today when shifting from 2nd to 3rd right around 3-3500 it lots all power for a few seconds, and seems to be hesitating to start when cold as well.
I’ve got an appointment with the dealer on Tuesday.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I also notice that "bucking" but only after starting and when it's cold. It seems to go away quickly as it warms up. Also, I have only experienced it in N mode (regular N and my custom N). In Standard or Econ, I have experienced it. I rarely ever use Sport, so I don't know about that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine refused to start with the first push of the button one morning, and then the next day I got the hesitation/missing feeling when I was accelerating. Each problem has only happened once, but I'm a bit more concerned that there are others with the same issue. It has only run on premium since I got it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I noticed it on mine originally in the “normal” mode one morning when it was around 35 degrees out.
Since then, when it does occur, although not seemingly often, I have tried it out in the N custom mode as well, and it acts the same.
I attempted to get a video of it just today to show the dealer when I bring it in, but it didn’t do it this time (figures).
The other day I got a chance to have a coworker go for a quick ride after work, and he noticed it as well at the time. (Around 50 degrees out, and I had let it warm up for several minutes)
Although it does seem to go away after the car is fully warmed up and has been driven for a while, this doesn’t seem (to me at least) a normal thing for a new car to do, unless there is something I’m missing here.

Either way, I’ll update after the dealer looks at it on Tuesday, though I am worried they will not be able to replicate it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Today it was rainy in the low 50's here, and mine didn't buck. It did seem like it happened pretty often when it was in the 30's and below - but as others say, when it is warmed up, it settles down. Another thing is that I have only noticed it happen in 2nd gear. Maybe as soon as it happens, I ease up and use a taller gear? I have run premium myself, although I'm not sure what the 1st tank had from the dealer ... I assume regular. The last thing I'll mention is that for me, it didn't start happening until maybe 450-500 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I joined this forum to report that my brand new Veloster N PP is doing the exact same thing. It has 660 miles on it, and this morning after starting my car I started noticing misfires during very light driving, like it was stuttering. Then on the highway it was like it was missing power. After getting fully warmed up, the issue seemed to go away, but this is very concerning for a brand new car...

at the time it happened it was about 60 degrees outside, and the car is running 93 octane

note: when I purchased the car a few weeks ago, it ran perfectly fine in 50 degree weather. Also last week it was 90 degrees here and it also ran fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked my car up at the dealership yesterday, before the delivery while inspecting the car, the engine light came on with a misfire code. They took a week trying to find the problem until they had to call a technician from Hyundai who came in and found a wrong size screw somewhere causing a malfunction. They gave me extended warranty on the low because they couldn't find a replacement car. Haven't had issues yet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I noticed it on mine originally in the “normal” mode one morning when it was around 35 degrees out.
Since then, when it does occur, although not seemingly often, I have tried it out in the N custom mode as well, and it acts the same.
I attempted to get a video of it just today to show the dealer when I bring it in, but it didn’t do it this time (figures).
The other day I got a chance to have a coworker go for a quick ride after work, and he noticed it as well at the time. (Around 50 degrees out, and I had let it warm up for several minutes)
Although it does seem to go away after the car is fully warmed up and has been driven for a while, this doesn’t seem (to me at least) a normal thing for a new car to do, unless there is something I’m missing here.

Either way, I’ll update after the dealer looks at it on Tuesday, though I am worried they will not be able to replicate it.
Can you tell us what took place at the dealership?

·
Registered
5 Posts
update:

my issue that started several days ago is getting worse now,

it is now happening on every cold start. When this happens, it's like the engine is losing all power for a half a second (stuttering under very light throttle). While this was happening, I even tried flooring it in second gear to see what it would do, and got no acceleration. I'm not being hyperbolic, it was zero acceleration - I was wide-open-throttle for 5 full seconds and it barely maintained the current speed. I managed to get onto the highway (was going to work) and all throughout the highway drive it felt like it was missing power - I noticed the boost gauge barely went over 10psi (this is the performance package model)

I have a feeling this will end up being a recall

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Can you tell us what took place at the dealership?
Sorry, I got a little busy last week and completely forgot to update here.

I spent an hour at the dealership on Tuesday, and as I figured, they were unable to get it to do that while it was there. They stated that the next step would be leaving it with them overnight so that they could experience it when it's cold.
Now that the weather has been warmer, the car seems to be running perfectly fine, and I haven't had it happen again.

I guess we'll see what happens next winter...
Though it is concerning to see so many people with similar issues, hopefully that means it'll get resolved.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update:

my issue that started several days ago is getting worse now,

it is now happening on every cold start. When this happens, it's like the engine is losing all power for a half a second (stuttering under very light throttle). While this was happening, I even tried flooring it in second gear to see what it would do, and got no acceleration. I'm not being hyperbolic, it was zero acceleration - I was wide-open-throttle for 5 full seconds and it barely maintained the current speed. I managed to get onto the highway (was going to work) and all throughout the highway drive it felt like it was missing power - I noticed the boost gauge barely went over 10psi (this is the performance package model)

I have a feeling this will end up being a recall
That sounds very similar to what happened when I took a coworker for a drive.
I let the car idle for a bit, took it easy until it was warm, than suddenly on a 1-2 shift, again right around 3-3500rpm, it lost ALL power, just like yours did.
After shifting up and driving for a while, it stopped, and hasn't done it since, but still, that was pretty concerning...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Pc and Itchy, appreciate you guys and the others who have had similar experience with this issue..pretty disconcerting. It sounds to me like a "black box" software or possibly a hardware (component) issue. I do hope it gets resolved quickly for all current owners and those of us awaiting delivery. We have to wonder how many current owners are having a similar experience.....

If you are a forum member having no similar issue it might be valuable to let us know...we could get an idea as to the percentage of cars this is occurring with.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't know if it's the same kind of problem, but 3 times now I have noticed the engine can barely start. It has happened when cold and after being warmed up, so that isn't much of a clue. As mentioned before, it seems like it is starved for fuel. Once it starts, it seems OK. I have always used 91 octane (that's my only choice within the Chicago/Northern IN area - although I believe that IL does formulate their fuel differently).

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know if it's the same kind of problem, but 3 times now I have noticed the engine can barely start. It has happened when cold and after being warmed up, so that isn't much of a clue. As mentioned before, it seems like it is starved for fuel.

This could go hand in hand with the problem as PcChip and Itchy are describing it.....Pc and wasjrx51, have you discussed or taken your car in to your dealer with this issue? It would seem we need to get some additional visibility at the dealer level with this.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
It sounds like a fueling issue and if that's the case, I was hoping that this issue was fixed before the VN was released. I remember researching about the i30N and I did find that many of them had an issue with their HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) dating back to a year ago when the i30N was first released. Here's a quote from a user (Moritz) on the n-cars.net forum:

"Sounds like the high pressure fuel pump doesn't work properly. This is a well known issue. There are many different threads on that topic in the German forum. Typical symptoms are:
- uneven engine power
- engine misfire
- loss of power

Later:
- "check engine" in the dashboard
- corresponding error in the fault memory
Contact your dealer - he should already be informed."

Link to their thread: https://n-cars.net/forums/threads/technical-bulletin-for-misfire-high-pressure-fuel-pump.558/

Sounds awfully similar to some of the symptoms you guys are experiencing, although a user on there had their ECU and HPFP replaced and it didn't seem to work...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I don't know if it's the same kind of problem, but 3 times now I have noticed the engine can barely start. It has happened when cold and after being warmed up, so that isn't much of a clue. As mentioned before, it seems like it is starved for fuel.

This could go hand in hand with the problem as PcChip and Itchy are describing it.....Pc and wasjrx51, have you discussed or taken your car in to your dealer with this issue? It would seem we need to get some additional visibility at the dealer level with this.....
I'd have to agree, it would be better if more people having the issue at least let the dealers know, even if it doesn't amount to much but them being aware of the issue.
By the way, I also noticed mine hesitate to start once as well, when this issue started flairing up
I'm in western PA, and since the weather has warmed up, it hasn't been giving me any problems. I'm not sure if that has any correlation, but I guess I'll find out next winter.

[/QUOTE]
It sounds like a fueling issue and if that's the case, I was hoping that this issue was fixed before the VN was released. I remember researching about the i30N and I did find that many of them had an issue with their HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) dating back to a year ago when the i30N was first released. Here's a quote from a user (Moritz) on the n-cars.net forum:

"Sounds like the high pressure fuel pump doesn't work properly. This is a well known issue. There are many different threads on that topic in the German forum. Typical symptoms are:
- uneven engine power
- engine misfire
- loss of power

Later:
- "check engine" in the dashboard
- corresponding error in the fault memory
Contact your dealer - he should already be informed."

Link to their thread: https://n-cars.net/forums/threads/technical-bulletin-for-misfire-high-pressure-fuel-pump.558/

Sounds awfully similar to some of the symptoms you guys are experiencing, although a user on there had their ECU and HPFP replaced and it didn't seem to work...
That's great information, thanks!
I had no idea that the i30N was/is having a similar issue, I'll have to check out those forums as well.
I'm curious if they ever got any kind of recall or service bullitan.

·
Registered
75 Posts
They did end up replacing quite a few ECU's and in some cases the HPFP on the i30N in the UK and Europe via a service bulletin. It appears that no codes showed up for techs to troubleshoot so it was very difficult to find the problem. The symptoms are exactly as owners on this forum have described. Not reassuring for us here in the U.S. and Canada....You would think this was all sorted before they started production and shipments to North America...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts