Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

Pirelli vs Michelin

7K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  Julio 
#1 ·
I’m still running the original Pirellis on my 2020 VN. I’ll be going with some new wheels soon and thinking about going with Michelins. I’m staying with the 19s. There seems to be a consensus here that the Michelins are the superior tire. I’ve run Michelins for years on my other vehicles and have always felt they are the best. With regards to replacing my VN tires, I’d like to ask you all about your thoughts and recommendations.

Bill

Reactions: Qrush
#3 ·
I dont mind the Pirellis, they're just not as sticky as the PS4S, but they handle pretty damn good. Don't get the hate frankly. And it's easy to look good in magazine tests if you just put Cup2s on everything, but that's not realistic.

With that said, I wouldnt buy them again since they'll probably be overpriced as hell since it's an OE tyre, at least here in Canada (seen them pretty cheap at TyreRack for the US guys). I'd consider the Continental ExtremeContact Sport if you want to stay in the same category of tyres.

#6 ·
Havent noticed any bad wear, but most of their track time have been in the wet or damp admittedly. The one dry lapping night I did on them they dealt with it fine I thought, even having to deal with a banked oval. In the end any street-oriented tyres will dislike prolongued sessions, unless you have camber and less understeer. Driving matters too, see a lot of people putting in too much lock which is sure to destroy fronts.

#12 ·
How many tires have exploded in F1 this season or wrc verse the numbers of tires that have been fitted, swapped, and raced on?

Has there been 3 tire explosions this year in f1 not affiliated with wheel to wheel contact? How many sets have gone on from practice to q1/2/3 to race day. 3 sets per team. 2-3 sets per race. 8 races in?

Seems like a low number to me for cars that live on the limit and go over curbs.

BUT YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT - they are probably just bad at it.

-JE

#13 ·
How many tires have exploded in F1 this season or wrc verse the numbers of tires that have been fitted, swapped, and raced on?

Has there been 3 tire explosions this year in f1 not affiliated with wheel to wheel contact? How many sets have gone on from practice to q1/2/3 to race day. 3 sets per team. 2-3 sets per race. 8 races in?

Seems like a low number to me for cars that live on the limit and go over curbs.

BUT YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT - they are probably just bad at it.

-JE
I would call it an unacceptably high failure rate for safety critical components, especially to fail in a spectacular way rather than gracefully. The fact that no driver died as a result is a minor miracle (Stroll had people going by at 200mph while spinning, had Verstappen spun to the right instead of left he would have hit the pitwall divider).

#15 ·
If staying w/19" and if you're planning on doing HPDE or track day's and from limited options in this size and load ratings, I'd stay away from the Pirelli's and Michelin PS4S, and give the Goodyear F1 Supercar 3's a try. While I have no first hand experience, I've seen them at the track, mostly on 1LE's and they keep a really good pace with acceptable wear.

#16 · (Edited)
Latest issue of Grassroots Motorsports has a big rundown of all of the tires. One thing they brought up on the Eagle F1 SuperCar 3's is that sub 265mm versions come molded deeper and do NOT perform as good. So what you're seeing on the Camaros may not translate to our size.

Of course, that could be a good thing. Better street tire, better wet tire, still acceptable for track use. In other words, same as the PS4S. ;)

#17 ·
Here's a long shot, I've tried these and was expecting a more, but if you're looking for about the same performance as the OEM take a look at these, it may save you some $$$.
Accelera 651 Sport
At the track they has provided very similar lap times and audible feedback as the Pirelli's, even though they are UTQG rated at 200 they don't preform the same as other 200TW's.
Oh, one more item to add regarding these compared to the Pirelli's, the side wall is more stiff on these el-cheepo's with much less roll over when pushed hard.

#22 · (Edited)
The Pirelli summer tires give the car better dry road performance (in theory). Mine are pefectly fine. I am running my 19" now and they perform well, though a bit noisy. I have PS All Seasons on my 18" rims. I want to use the Pirelli's when the weather is appropriate and keep the Michelin's on the rest of the time. When I wear the Pirelli's out then I can decide what I want to do with the 19" rims. I do like the 18" rims as they take-away a bit of the harshness.

Reactions: RedVN
#29 ·
Went from PZeros to PS4S on my last car for a street tire. The difference in traction levels and confidence was pretty extreme for me. I also tried out Indy 500s but really they didn't compare to either. Were just a temporary budget tire. I am however pretty excited to tryout the new Cup 2 Connects. Surprised with the 240 tread wear on that type of tire. That will likely be my next purchase.

#33 ·
I don't believe the PS4S warranty allows tracking the car in any capacity. But for a strictly street summer tire (no events or track use) the warranty "should" work. For the track there are much better tires anyway. I have never tried to use a tire warranty though, so it's only speculation on my part.

#40 ·
PS4S Michelins are not track rated tires and will chunk (history related) with higher temps and g-load lateral force.

IMO not a good choice for track venues, other than a few track days a year.

If your going to track the car, opt for track rated, properly heat cycled tires. Longevity is not an option, when doing so either. Start with Nitto NT05 or Michelin Sport Cup tires.👍🇺🇸

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.