Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received the Peirce Motorsports upper strut brace this week ordered through KDM. No a hard install but you will lose some plastic trim work that houses the wiper fluid lines. Remove the wipers(14mm), plastic trim(flat&phillips), disconnect the wiper fluid line, removed the 6 14mm bolts from the struts, discard the black top mount brackets, install the new strut brace using the 6 bolts provided from Peirce. Don't tighten any bolt down all the way because I had some issues getting my socket down in the brace because the clearances between the nut and brace were very tight. Also one other thing to note is the engine cover is a challenge to get on and off but it will go back on. Best way I have found is to get the cover on the top right rubber grommet on first and then line up the oil cap.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hell yeah, that is nice. Let us know what you think after putting a little time on it. Its on my list for sure. Thanks brother.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I gather that this is more rigid than the N Performance one, but at least you don't lose all the entire lower cowl with that one. Beautiful piece though.

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
It does look great. How close is it to the brake reservoir cap? Do you have to take it off to check it? Thanks for any info.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does look great. How close is it to the brake reservoir cap? Do you have to take it off to check it? Thanks for any info.

Best regards,

-Mike
There is enough clearance to get the cap off and not sure if it was intentional but there is a hole punched through the brace centered with the reservoir opening. With a small funnel no need to take the brace off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am also curious how it drives. There is underbody bracing in the front, so I wonder if might reduce the effectiveness of a strut tower brace. My past experience has been that a strut tower brace is a "must have". Not so sure with some of the additional bracing. I am open to opinions on this.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had this brace amongst other bits from Jim (Pierce Motorsports) on my 2013 VT and will swear by them. This coupled with the 4 point brace made a huge difference imo.

On my 2020 N I installed his trunk brace plus the front and rear sway bar. Nice difference!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I got to drive it today and when I was throwing it into a corner it took less steering input to get the car to rotate and setup to hit a corner. Could be placebo lol. I wish I had a little more track time before giving you guys some good feedback. I am scheduled to do a track day this coming Saturday but I'll be running the nitto nt01's tires. Upgrades like this you have to be pushing pretty hard to get the benefits. Unfortunately where I get to street drive and test I really don't have a great place to test until I get to the track. Also I'm still waiting for the lower 4pt brace which I know is going to make a difference. I'm hoping that arrives before Saturday.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Off subject sorry but I saw someone with a ccv catch can as well as the pcv catch can that I see you have

Do you have any thoughts on the idea of a dual catch can or plan on installing a ccv catch can alongside with your pcv?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Off subject sorry but I saw someone with a ccv catch can as well as the pcv catch can that I see you have

Do you have any thoughts on the idea of a dual catch can or plan on installing a ccv catch can alongside with your pcv?
No problem it's a good question. For now the car is being used only on weekends to cruise and sometimes my wife is driving it so not a ton of load on the engine. However I do plan on doing 2-3 lapping days per year. Once it becomes more of a dedicated track car then I'd look at doing the ccv side. There was a good discussion on this topic here Oil catch cans I hope it helps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
No problem it's a good question. For now the car is being used only on weekends to cruise and sometimes my wife is driving it so not a ton of load on the engine. However I do plan on doing 2-3 lapping days per year. Once it becomes more of a dedicated track car then I'd look at doing the ccv side. There was a good discussion on this topic here Oil catch cans I hope it helps.
Thank you!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I installed a Jegs oil separator on the turbo-side as this side does not usually see much accumulation. So far, a bit of water, but no oil. My Genesis Coupe always has oil in my turbo oil separator. On the PCV side, I have a larger catch can and it is accumulating water, oil, etc. I am wondering on this car if there are some baffles in the valve cover reducing oil pull from the turbo side. Aside from a bit of moisture that oil separator is completely clean.

Reactions: Melan

·
Registered
99 Posts
since oil and fuel boast about cleaning carbon deposits and having detergents, wouldn't fuel and oil blow by be a good thing on intake valves? lol sorry if that was dumb af...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pretty much you don't want any blow-by. On my Genesis, without the turbo-side catch can, you suck oil right into the turbo blades and it will create a film inside the intercooler. Not good. On the PCV side it seems to be less oil as it is water and blow-by gasses. Looks awful. For a GDI engine you want clean and filtered air rushing by the valves. Nothing else since there is no cleaning action from the injector spray.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As benificial as they can be I have always wondered why these filters are not installed by the manufacturers as a stock part. However, kudos to the aftermarket companies for grabbing some bank.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've been reading a bit on catch cans and why they don't come included factory, the repeating argument is that it's another maintenance component for the masses who can't even get oil changes right. Secondly, a cost factor

1 - 20 of 22 Posts