Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t reach the throttle pedal while braking. I saw a video of a guy doing it easily in a VN. He must have huge feet. My shoe size is about average, 11D.

Whats the best solution?

PS I’m not interested in automatic rev matching. If you like it, God bless. I want to heel toe. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
No issue here, I'd say I have average sized feet lol. I do it with the side, not the heel obviously.

·
Registered
2019 Chalk White Perf Pack - Master of breaking stuff.
161 Posts
I can't remember who the manufacturer is (I wanna say Boomba?) but there are others that make spacers so you can adjust height and allow easier heel-toe action.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't remember who the manufacturer is (I wanna say Boomba?) but there are others that make spacers so you can adjust height and allow easier heel-toe action.
the brake pedal is a lot higher than the gas. That’s a problem. It’s also the space between them.

·
Administrator
1,897 Posts
Breck's makes the spacers. I think they come from South Korea. You can find them on e-Bay.

Hope this helps?

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
600 Posts
I never mastered heel-toe driving, but I sure do like the rev-matching.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Curious.....you want to heel-toe because it's fun or because you think you can do it better than the computer?
Alos, based on your picture, are you trying to Big toe-little toe? There is reason it's called heel-toe. You need to rotate your foot in order to blip the acc pedal while braking.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Curious.....you want to heel-toe because it's fun or because you think you can do it better than the computer?
Alos, based on your picture, are you trying to Big toe-little toe? There is reason it's called heel-toe. You need to rotate your foot in order to blip the acc pedal while braking.
I prefer the auto rev match vs heel toe, its just that bit more crisp. Especially since the car is a DBW throttle and not a cable throttle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do it for fun.
It’s called heel-toe. in practice some people blip with their heel, others with the right side of their foot. Both styles are awkward for me on the VN. The brake pedal is higher than throttle and far apart.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you don't want to commit to the Breck's spacer yet you can try spacing out the accelerator pedal assembly with some washers. I wouldn't recommend this as a permanent solution, just to try it out for a drive and see if it helps.

I may or may not have done this myself and found it to be an improvement. If it helps and you want a more permanent solution, you can get the spacer, otherwise you can remove them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I prefer the auto rev match vs heel toe, its just that bit more crisp. Especially since the car is a DBW throttle and not a cable throttle.
I'm with you. The ECU calculates the exact rpm needed based on gear and speed. A human will never come close to being as accurate

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm with you. The ECU calculates the exact rpm needed based on gear and speed. A human will never come close to being as accurate
Putting heel toe aside, turbo and dbw is harder to rev match than NA with a cable throttle. Having said that, I’ve only had the VN for 1000 miles and I’m getting better at rev matching on it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The brakes a super sensitive when the car is new, go do a bed-in later at night on the highway, after that it'll be muuuch easier to modulate.

So like do 75 to 40mph braking, start with medium pressure and slowly work it up to more force. After you feel brake fade just keep driving until they cool down, 10-15min or so. Dont do it when it rains tho !

·
Registered
59 Posts
no problem heel-toeing with the way the pedals are from the factory for me. Size 9.5 shoe. I wear minimalist shoes with no heal rise. I turn rev matching on when I'm wearing boots when heel toe is just too awkward or hard.... but I like the act of rev matching it myself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For anyone who may be considering the Breck's spacer, I installed it yesterday and would highly recommend it. Very well made and install is solid. The pedals are now in the perfect position for heel-toeing (I use the ankle roll method). Before, I could only reach the throttle if I braked with just my big toe, which is not exactly confidence inspiring, and would occasionally miss the throttle pedal altogether. Now, I can comfortably brake with the ball of my foot, and blip the throttle.

The spacer also raises the pedal up about 20mm. While it obviously doesn't actually improve throttle response, being able to push the throttle more when blipping makes it feel a bit faster.

Next improvements for me will be the linear throttle mapping with JB4, and maybe a throttle body spacer. I'll make sure to post updates!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought the Becks throttle spacer. Any tips on how to install it? I poked around the throttle pedal area and it’s not just an obvious bunch of bolts you remove. I’m in a 2022 R if that changes anything. Thanks!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought the Becks throttle spacer. Any tips on how to install it? I poked around the throttle pedal area and it’s not just an obvious bunch of bolts you remove. I’m in a 2022 R if that changes anything. Thanks!!
Sure thing, I'll post a photo later today!

Also, for those interested in a longer-term update: I love the pedal spacer for street-driving. For driving on track, the horizontal shift is still great, but the pedal is raised a bit too much for my preference. Under hard (i.e. threshold) braking, my foot falls too low to comfortably heel-toe. I can and do use rev-matching, but it is still fun to heel-toe on track. A slightly thinner version of the spacer would be great, though some of that thickness may be required for strength?

Still love it on the street though!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts