Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll be doing my first transmission fluid change soon. I have already ordered the fluid which I have seen a lot using redline MT-LV GL-4. Do I need both a gasket for the fill and a crush washer for the drain?

I currently have Part No.:17511-16000 and Part No.:21513-11000 sitting in a cart ready to order. Are these the two that I need or are they something else? I have seen a few posts but nothing seems to be definitive. I will probably be doing oil changes at dealership with the complimentary free changes up until like 36k miles or whatever it was. Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
If you have less then 10K on the odometer you really don't need to change the fluid, unless you're utilizing the car on the track or several duty. Some are simply changing it for a better grade transmission fluid but there's no need to.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have less then 10K on the odometer you really don't need to change the fluid, unless you're utilizing the car on the track or several duty. Some are simply changing it for a better grade transmission fluid but there's no need to.
I don't track the car but I drive it hard on the weekends. I usually do first fluid changes on a new car after break in pretty early. There is no harm in it other than costing a little extra money. I have heard the fluid improving shift feel. Until I add bushings and short shifter I would use the fluid to help reduce the somewhat crunchy shifting into first. It could just be a linkage issue but the fluid could improve the feel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't track the car but I drive it hard on the weekends. I usually do first fluid changes on a new car after break in pretty early. There is no harm in it other than costing a little extra money. I have heard the fluid improving shift feel. Until I add bushings and short shifter I would use the fluid to help reduce the somewhat crunchy shifting into first. It could just be a linkage issue but the fluid could improve the feel.
Just as a data point I change the fluid at 5k in my car with the Redline fluid and shifting was definitely improved for me. Goes into 6th like butter where before at times it seemed to take more focus. The drain plug is magnetic and this is how mine looked when I changed it:
IMG_1054.JPG

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just as a data point I change the fluid at 5k in my car with the Redline fluid and shifting was definitely improved for me. Goes into 6th like butter where before at times it seemed to take more focus. The drain plug is magnetic and this is how mine looked when I changed it:
View attachment 5803
Yea, I'd say despite whatever the manual says, that fluid seriously needs to be changed along with the first oil change. Black sludge with metal particles circulating around is only going to wear everything down 10x faster. Everyone seems to report similar appearance too. Dealer even confirmed it should not look that way so early but for whatever reason it does.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have heard the tolerances are really tight on the drivetrain. I think I even read an article that showed an increase in performance over time once things loosen up and there is less friction more so that usual.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have heard the tolerances are really tight on the drivetrain. I think I even read an article that showed an increase in performance over time once things loosen up and there is less friction more so that usual.
You’re right, it was Car and Drivers long term vehicle:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yea, I'd say despite whatever the manual says, that fluid seriously needs to be changed along with the first oil change. Black sludge with metal particles circulating around is only going to wear everything down 10x faster. Everyone seems to report similar appearance too. Dealer even confirmed it should not look that way so early but for whatever reason it does.
I'm a fan of getting break in fluids changed early, especially motor oil, but when I heard the positives of using Redline I knew I was going to change it out early. I was somewhat caught off guard by the particles on the plug plug TBH!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm a fan of getting break in fluids changed early, especially motor oil, but when I heard the positives of using Redline I knew I was going to change it out early. I was somewhat caught off guard by the particles on the plug plug TBH!
There was metal particles far beyond what the drain plug could capture floating around in mine. That was with never grinding a gear or ever launching the car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll try to piggyback off of this thread about another question related to the change. Would an oil extractor work well for the transmission fluid change? I don't know how large these metal shavings will be if it might possibly clog up the extractor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts