Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last thread on this was locked. You can check that thread to see the reason why.

I will start it up again, because I have bed the pads in and have one a Track Cross event with them.

Bedding in:

I attached a GoPro to the fender and recorded the bedding in process. I did bunch of stops from highway speeds.

Here is the video of that:

I give some tips and guidance on bedding in the pads. I would say, don't go crazy with high speed stops. If you can, do it on a race track as part of the first session. There are some existing resources on YouTube on this.

First event feedback:

I was really worried that these pads would be too aggressive for PZeros. They kind of are. It's a very high friction compound. As soon as you install them, after driving for few miles, the bite on them becomes much much better. It was really nice after bedding them in.

The event was Track Cross. Auto cross on track without cones. It was my first time on track. I will probably do another thread on the event and the video of my fastest run. I placed P3 in class.

RST1s are perfect for these types of events. It is a single run and then you grid again. So the brakes don't get too hot. Since the pads have excellent cold bite, I didn't have to use as much brake pressure. With the stock pads, I would have to apply a lot more pedal pressure. Trailing the brakes was also a breeze. The car would rotate really well.

I also did lunch laps at highway speeds behind a pace car. With some gaps, I got to test higher speed braking lap after lap. I managed to get into ABS much easier. I think this pad will really force me to threshold brake and not get into the ABS. The bite of the pad also improved the more heat I generated. In about two weeks, I will be doing an HPDE at Summit Point Main. I will be driving at higher speeds and using the brakes more. I will report back here once I finish the event.

There are some changes from last season. I am on RBF600 fluid. I removed the dust shield to allow the inner face of the rotor to radiate more heat. I had higher wear on the pads on the piston side on the stock pads. That might also be nature of the sliding calipers.

Anyways, so far I am very happy with the pads. They are absolutely right about these pads not being for street use. They are embarrassingly loud! I will be swapping back to the stock rotors and pads if I need to drive a lot with my car. For now, I use wife's car more.

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
571 Posts
Last thread on this was locked. You can check that thread to see the reason why.

I will start it up again, because I have bed the pads in and have one a Track Cross event with them.

Bedding in:

I attached a GoPro to the fender and recorded the bedding in process. I did bunch of stops from highway speeds.

Here is the video of that:

I give some tips and guidance on bedding in the pads. I would say, don't go crazy with high speed stops. If you can, do it on a race track as part of the first session. There are some existing resources on YouTube on this.

First event feedback:

I was really worried that these pads would be too aggressive for PZeros. They kind of are. It's a very high friction compound. As soon as you install them, after driving for few miles, the bite on them becomes much much better. It was really nice after bedding them in.

The event was Track Cross. Auto cross on track without cones. It was my first time on track. I will probably do another thread on the event and the video of my fastest run. I placed P3 in class.

RST1s are perfect for these types of events. It is a single run and then you grid again. So the brakes don't get too hot. Since the pads have excellent cold bite, I didn't have to use as much brake pressure. With the stock pads, I would have to apply a lot more pedal pressure. Trailing the brakes was also a breeze. The car would rotate really well.

I also did lunch laps at highway speeds behind a pace car. With some gaps, I got to test higher speed braking lap after lap. I managed to get into ABS much easier. I think this pad will really force me to threshold brake and not get into the ABS. The bite of the pad also improved the more heat I generated. In about two weeks, I will be doing an HPDE at Summit Point Main. I will be driving at higher speeds and using the brakes more. I will report back here once I finish the event.

There are some changes from last season. I am on RBF600 fluid. I removed the dust shield to allow the inner face of the rotor to radiate more heat. I had higher wear on the pads on the piston side on the stock pads. That might also be nature of the sliding calipers.

Anyways, so far I am very happy with the pads. They are absolutely right about these pads not being for street use. They are embarrassingly loud! I will be swapping back to the stock rotors and pads if I need to drive a lot with my car. For now, I use wife's car more.
Thanks for this post. This was informative. Super cool video - perfect music choice!

-JE

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wanted to share some updates on the pads.

I'm happy with the pads. Great bite, never had any fade. High friction behavior is great for setting hot laps.

I have 12.2mm left with 141 laps in Summit Main across two HPDEs. I did 3 Track Cross Events (about 24-25 runs with lunch laps behind a pace car). I already got past the pad screws that pagid uses. I have about 6-7mm left on the pad material.

I will be using these pads only for track cross now. For HPDE, I am switching to RSL2. RSL2 is much nicer on rotors. I heat checked rotors in a few sessions with RST1. Rotors are still fine to use of course.

Attaching photo with RSL2s as I have an HPDE coming up next weekend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Curious on the compatibility of the RSL2 pad compound with the stock pads in terms of switching back and forth. I've had some instances in the past on another vehicle where I would get pad deposits on the rotor, causing significant shudder during heavy braking. I followed pad brake in procedures, so it is possible that the pad compounds did not mix well together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have gone through the stock, 2 sets of ebc yellows and now on some rsl2’s on the same rotors. I have had no issues however I have only 6k miles on them so ymmv....

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is no compatibility between pads. You are suppose to scuff the rotors when switching pads OR used an abrasive pad to scrub it by driving on the street.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts