Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys I hope you all are having a great time with your N’s so far loving mine have done a couple of things to it and this last one is driving me nuts. I couldn’t wait to get a catless down pipe so I had the “bright” idea of gutting my cat so I did it the most environmentally efficient way possible 🤦🏻. I removed the primary O2 sensor and punched it out. I had previously bought a 90 degree defouler to get rid of the p0420 code. After I was done with the “mod” I plugged everything back in including the battery and turned on the car to let it spit out the chunks of the catalyst material. And there was the check engine light. At first I didn’t think much of it thinking I just had to adjust the defouler in or out more to get it to the right amount of flow. But after hours of trying things and getting hand burned by the Down pipe many many times I decided to stop until I had an OBD scanner to find out exactly what code I had. To my surprise it was a p0030 code out of everything. So I cleared the code and there it was after every ignition cycle. I went trough the fuses and pulled out the heated o2 fuse and got a code for the secondary 02 as well meaning the fuse was working just fine. Pulled the fuse for the primary 02 (the one on the connector) and that was fine too. Looked at all the wiring to make sure nothing got burnt or nothing was disconnected everything looks good. So I concluded I had damaged my 1st 02 sensor while removing it to gut the cat. Went on Sixth elements website and picked up a brand new o2 sensor slapped it in and yep there’s the code still. Last thing I did was disconnect the 1st o2 sensor completely and it still throws the same p0030 code which is bizarre because if there is no sensor there is no way there’s just a heater element issue, you would think it would display more codes regarding the primary o2. Maybe my ecm is faulty. This is driving me insane and the worst part is that my car hasn’t been popping, fuel economy and performance has been affected as well. Overall 0/10 on the cat delete worst experience of my life hopefully someone here has any idea of how to deal with this. Other than taking it to Hyundai, they are just gonna look at me like 👁👄👁

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
Are you sure all the cat. material came out? Could there be a clog somewhere? Just a thought.... Hope it ll works out.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
2020 PP Race Red//Fully Bolted
127 Posts
Double check connections, clear the code, unhook the battery for a while, reconnect the bat and drive it. If it doesn't go away after 10-20 min of driving then I'd start looking into other possibilities. These codes are permanent and will only clear once the ecu sees it working.correctly for a period of time

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Hello guys I hope you all are having a great time with your N’s so far loving mine have done a couple of things to it and this last one is driving me nuts. I couldn’t wait to get a catless down pipe so I had the “bright” idea of gutting my cat so I did it the most environmentally efficient way possible 🤦🏻. I removed the primary O2 sensor and punched it out. I had previously bought a 90 degree defouler to get rid of the p0420 code. After I was done with the “mod” I plugged everything back in including the battery and turned on the car to let it spit out the chunks of the catalyst material. And there was the check engine light. At first I didn’t think much of it thinking I just had to adjust the defouler in or out more to get it to the right amount of flow. But after hours of trying things and getting hand burned by the Down pipe many many times I decided to stop until I had an OBD scanner to find out exactly what code I had. To my surprise it was a p0030 code out of everything. So I cleared the code and there it was after every ignition cycle. I went trough the fuses and pulled out the heated o2 fuse and got a code for the secondary 02 as well meaning the fuse was working just fine. Pulled the fuse for the primary 02 (the one on the connector) and that was fine too. Looked at all the wiring to make sure nothing got burnt or nothing was disconnected everything looks good. So I concluded I had damaged my 1st 02 sensor while removing it to gut the cat. Went on Sixth elements website and picked up a brand new o2 sensor slapped it in and yep there’s the code still. Last thing I did was disconnect the 1st o2 sensor completely and it still throws the same p0030 code which is bizarre because if there is no sensor there is no way there’s just a heater element issue, you would think it would display more codes regarding the primary o2. Maybe my ecm is faulty. This is driving me insane and the worst part is that my car hasn’t been popping, fuel economy and performance has been affected as well. Overall 0/10 on the cat delete worst experience of my life hopefully someone here has any idea of how to deal with this. Other than taking it to Hyundai, they are just gonna look at me like 👁👄👁
P0030 Causes;

Faulty Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit

Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit fuse

Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit open shorted to ground

Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit poor electrical connection

Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

You’ve either got a bad 02 sensor, poor connectivity or the 02 sensor isn’t heating up fast enough to send the right signal to the ECM.

Start by visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.

Oxygen Sensors (O2S) or Heated Oxygen Sensors (HO2S) have to reach a minimum operating temperature of 750 degrees F to produce an accurate voltage signal.

The faster the oxygen sensor reaches that temperature the faster the sensor will start sending an accurate signal to the ECM.

More than likely it’s not operating at the proper temp to send the correct voltage signal. That’s my best guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts