Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my second dealer oil change (total of 5100 miles on the car) I brought the car home. Next time I moved it I have oil on the garage floor. Will over filling cause oil to leak out?

I moved the car to the other side of the garage 3 days ago, just checked and there is a new oil spot on the floor.

The oil level is a little above the top level mark on the dipstick.

Thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just a bit over the top of the upper marl won’t cause the oil to leak out. More than likely it’s residual oil from the oil pan bolt or oil filter, or possibly either or both of those are a bit loose.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
More than likely, they didn't wipe off the oil filter base or any of the run off from the replacing the filter. Also, check the filter for tightness.

Oil won't come out the dipstick and overfilling up to 1/2 qt is engineered for with GDI Fuel Dilution.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone. I’m taking it back to them to figure out (and clean up the mess). The spots on the floor are more than just a few drops.
5DB50DFB-91F3-41DF-A9A5-AE5515E230B8.jpeg

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Ah yes sir I would also. I'll bet they didn't put oil on the filter ring! This is one step that can't be omitted with any car. If they ran the filter up dry, it won't seat properly and leak. It's an easy thing to forget but a mandatory exercise on every fill. The only other thing they might not have done is put in a crush ring on the pan bolt.:)

·
Registered
2020 PP Veloster N in Racing Red
17 Posts
Ah yes sir I would also. I'll bet they didn't put oil on the filter ring! This is one step that can't be omitted with any car. If they ran the filter up dry, it won't seat properly and leak. It's an easy thing to forget but a mandatory exercise on every fill. The only other thing they might not have done is put in a crush ring on the pan bolt.:)
Either that or they forgot to include a crush washer and improperly torqued the oil drain plug. Mine had no crush washer from the previous oil change which was done by a dealership under warranty :poop:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Occasionally I ask myself why I continue to do my own maintenance when it doesn't cost much or take very long to have someone else do it (or is even included with the sale price of the car). Not to mention the number of times Hyundai has asked why I don't bring my car in for it or what would need to change for us to consider doing so.

Posts like this remind me why. Unfortunately it's likely the same techs performing more technical work on the vehicle as well.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When my wife bought her Elantra GT of course the first service was free. When I went to perform the second oil change the oil filter was really wrenched on there. I completely deformed it yet is was still holding. I went down to the dealer and told them they botched the first oil change and to swap the bent-up oil filter with a good one AND not to over tighten the filter this time. They did this and the service manager was quite apologetic. Granted, oil changes are done by the newer and less experienced mechanics, but I reminded him that some very simple training and mentoring would have prevented this. My dealer is pretty good otherwise, but I do all basic maintenance myself, I document it and I follow a much more rigorous schedule than they do. My cars reward me with good service and a long life.

Reactions: Gphoffman

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Follow up. They had the shop foreman work on it while I was there (and watching from a distance). The determination was the “the drain plug crush washer wasn’t properly seated”. Which I took to mean they didn’t torque it correctly. I told them I wanted the plastic tray cleaned up; they took it off and washed it. It was interesting that they looked at the entire bottom side of the car (using a flashlight), looking at the suspension on all 4 corners and calipers and rotors. In and out in 30 minutes.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
In out and done. Typically, technicians don’t double check their work. Sad fact but it happens more often than not.

They have to get to the work assigned to them by the Service intake, which sometimes leads to them working on more than one car at a time. Distraction is the major cause.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts