Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha all you N enthusiasts, happy holidays and I hope you're keeping it classy. Just wondering if anyone has looked into ,or has gotten a oil cooler on their N. As I am running almost full bolt-ons minus turbo ,which I'm hoping to get done by February. Figured not such a bad idea to keep temperatures down.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Are your oil temps actually running high though? Oil coolers are great for track cars but for a street car they introduce a ton of potential leaks and failure points. I would first verify through used oil analysis (ie send a sample to Blackstone labs) that your oil is getting overheated. Assuming you're using a good modern synthetic, it's probably fine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are your oil temps actually running high though? Oil coolers are great for track cars but for a street car they introduce a ton of potential leaks and failure points. I would first verify through used oil analysis (ie send a sample to Blackstone labs) that your oil is getting overheated. Assuming you're using a good modern synthetic, it's probably fine.
Under hard driving running temps of up to 250 that's what the big gulp air intake as well as Forge front mounted intercooler,

·
Registered
99 Posts
250 is perfectly safe for synthetic oil. If you're not maxing out the oil temp gauge regularly, don't worry about it. Just make sure you're using a good synthetic in the heaviest weight for your climate and you'll be fine.

(also an intake and intercooler are both power adders and would raise oil temps, not lower them, because they allow the engine to make more power which means more heat)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both reduced oil temp almost immediately. But only under a heavy driving.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
250 is perfectly safe for synthetic oil. If you're not maxing out the oil temp gauge regularly, don't worry about it. Just make sure you're using a good synthetic in the heaviest weight for your climate and you'll be fine.

(also an intake and intercooler are both power adders and would raise oil temps, not lower them, because they allow the engine to make more power which means more heat)
Okay that's good to know then, was thinking I was going to start running Royal purple, what do you recommend.

·
Super Moderator
1,793 Posts
Amsoil Signature Series 5W30 is what I use. Love the stuff!

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
Okay that's good to know then, was thinking I was going to start running Royal purple, what do you recommend.
In the past few years, I've have used Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge Syntec and Motul 8100. The thing with modern synthetic oils is that they're all really good but application matters. So first things first, decide what weight you're going to use. I live in southern Arizona, so I use a 5w40, although I could also use a 10w40 or 15w40. Next is to make sure that the standards the oil meets are the same as (or better than) what the manual calls for. Also, look for something that specifically mentions turbocharged engines and/or direct injection. Personally, I'm doing a lot of highway miles and very little spirited driving right now so I'm using Castrol Edge 5w40. This is also what I use in my wife's Santa Fe (2.0T engine closely related to ours). If I were flogging the car more, I would use Amsoil, Motul or Liqui Moly. But especially if you're worried about high oil temps, make sure you get the weight right.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
77 Posts
When I purchased this car 2021 N I saw that the dipstick said 0w30 and I purchased some mobil 1 in that weight. I am planning on changing my oil in between the dealership oil change ( free) . I am using the oil filter ( oem) . I have a number of quarts of 5w 40 from my previous car. It was a fiat 500 Abarth. I always used the pennzoil plat with the Ferrari emblem on the bottle. It is for a turbo charge engine. I live in Charleston SC and it will probably never get below 0 . Should I just put the 5 w 40 in the n when I go to the autocross or track?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I remember when I had the fiesta, the general community consensus was that an intercooler was mandatory. These 4 cylinders with high compression ratios produce a lot of power and fun but the sacrifice seems to clearly be at the cost of heat soak. I'd like to see more reviews of the ones available for this car before purchasing though. Also, the prices seem quite high.

·
Registered
184 Posts
An FMIC and bigger snorkel will not affect oil temps. Has a higher chance of increasing temps actually, since now the car can make bigger explosions with the more dense air.

A modern quality synthetic is good to 300+ without breaking down. Not getting your oil up to temp (212+) can cause more issues with deposits.

While the motor says 0w30, the owners manual has an entire range of acceptable weights dependent on climate. I'm in Texas, I run AmsOIl 5w40 in the winter and 10w40 in the summer, I also track and autocross the car and regularly see 260 for oil temps -- car is fine. Oil coolers are not necessary unless you are exclusively tracking the car.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I finishing up an R & D fitting for them now. It will be available after the first of the year but they will hove one available for the VN. Be patient I'll keep you up to date.
Merry Christmas!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Does adding an oil cooler mess with the ECVVT at all?
perhaps the addition of the oil cooler would change the flow characteristics or oil pressure?

I do know that the car comes with an oil cooler stock.perhaps a water cooled variant as opposed to air cooled that after market offers.
1616286666715.png

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Does adding an oil cooler mess with the ECVVT at all?
perhaps the addition of the oil cooler would change the flow characteristics or oil pressure?

I do know that the car comes with an oil cooler stock.perhaps a water cooled variant as opposed to air cooled that after market offers.
View attachment 4869
No issues with VVT, pressure or flow characteristic. Yes, the VN comes with an air/water oil cooler.

·
Super Moderator
1,793 Posts
When I purchased this car 2021 N I saw that the dipstick said 0w30 and I purchased some mobil 1 in that weight.
Please do NOT take this as a diss...... But try NOT to use Mobil 1 if you can help it. I have seen 3 turbo motors now NOT like the stuff. My friends (he's 61) VW Passat is in the shop right now and it used Mobil 1 it's whole life. It's only got 65K on it. It burns oil like mad and after tear down much coking on the turbo. That means it was burning..... Just be careful and try to use a better synthetic for a turbo car.

Best regards,

-Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts