Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can only find Quaker State Euro 0w-30 synthetic oil is this ok for the VN or should I go with a diff brand
my first oil change is coming up next week or so, can only find the Euro style 0w-30, can anyone advise or recommend a diff brand?
or should I purchase directly from Hyundai. also whats the difference in Euro style vs others.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used for my first oil change : Pennzoil Platinum Euro lx 0W30 bought from Canadian Tire on sale. 5L for 50$.
I called different Hyundais in Vancouver and this is also what they use but for 14$/L.
I bought the OEM oil filter from the dealer tho

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N w/PP
304 Posts
0w-30 or 5w-30 is fine. Look for the SP or SN+ rating.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used for my first oil change : Pennzoil Platinum Euro lx 0W30 bought from Canadian Tire on sale. 5L for 50$.
I called different Hyundais in Vancouver and this is also what they use but for 14$/L.
I bought the OEM oil filter from the dealer tho
good to know homie. i've been callin store after store here in Toronto.. looks like I may go with the Pennzoil Euro or Quaker state Euro.. waiting for Hyundai to get back to me

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
For the same reason it also recommends 5W-30, 5W-40 etc, in the owner's manual. It's a guideline recommendation of usage, not mandatory.:)(y) Personally, I believe the 5W - 30 /40 oils provide better lubrication and protection for the engine and the turbo, then any 0W- motor oil.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Personally, I believe the 5W - 30 /40 oils provide better lubrication and protection for the engine and the turbo, then any 0W- motor oil.
Ditto, Red.

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: RedVN

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N w/PP
304 Posts
We can have a spirited discussion over 0w versus 5w (and I may lose), but the BK1 in my Genesis likes the 40 weight oil better. The idle is smoother and the engine feels better (I know, subjective). I have 5w-30 in my VN now and it seems fine, but I am considering 5w-40 at some point.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
I was going to try 5W40 too at some point too. Amsoil it will be. Am hoping it quiets this noisy motor down. Sounds like a diesel sometimes. Lol.....

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: RedVN

·
Registered
353 Posts
I recently went from a low viscosity 5w30 (almost a 5w20 after 3000 miles) to a high viscosity 5w30 (it's almost a 5w40 to start). Under similar conditions my oil temp is about 5 degrees higher now, it should still be doing a better job than the "lighter" stuff but just something I noticed.

0w oil should slightly increase fuel mileage just due to being easier to pump when cold but typically will have more viscosity improvers than a 5w30 or 10w30 and these can shear down over time. There are some exceptions to this but for the most part that is a trade off to consider as long as the 5w30 you are comparing is of similar quality.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Buy some amsoil online.
I was going to try 5W40 too at some point too. Amsoil it will be. Am hoping it quiets this noisy motor down. Sounds like a diesel sometimes. Lol.....

Best regards,

-Mike
I run 5w-30 in the winter and 10w-40 in the summer here in Texas. Mainly because of tracking/auto-x in the summer.

Also, I'm an AMSOil Independent Retailer, just sayin' ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts