Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the boomba catch cans on the N? Im a bit confused as to the difference between the stage 1 and 2 versions and if you need both of them. Supposedly stage 2 is the more important one?

·
Registered
76 Posts
What's the difference between CCV intake and PVC? How are installs different? What makes one different from the other? I am very curious too, but I have not made a post about this.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
The PCV catch can runs inline with the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve and retains its factory function. When the intake manifold pressure is close to or greater than atmospheric pressure, the PCV "check" valve closes and, thus, this hose experiences no flow. Conversely, the PCV hose will experience "metered" vacuum when the engine is idling, steady state cruising, and decelerating. This would normally draw unwanted crankcase vapor, unspent fuel, and oil sludge into the intake manifold immediately after a high load run. Note: No inline check valve is required since Radium catch cans are pressure sealed. This means a direct intake manifold connection is permitted.

The CCV catch can runs inline with the crankcase vent port. At low loads it experiences atmospheric pressure, but when the engine is at high load (WOT), this line will experience high flow out of the crankcase. This would normally lead to oil and sludge accumulation in the air filter intake pipe. Oil accumulation will occur in the intercooler which lowers the thermal efficiency properties of the heat exchanger and leads to decreased performance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the explanation! I've heard some back and forward about whether or not this car should have a catch can. What are your thoughts? Is it worth investing in a catch can for this car or no?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed ADD w1 v3 catch can to a 2022. I drove 1500 miles no issue and i recently got a CEL to come on. Wife drove and it to friends and on way homelight came on. I drove it around a bit and noticed high idle (around 1k to 2k temps around 200degrees or so. I checked all connections at all points with no signs of leaks. Took to dealership and they blaming it may be the can. They said they went through everything else possible for the P0507 code. We will see what happens. I have AEM intake, HKS blow off valve, and velossa tech ram air thats it. Anyone ran into anything similar?

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N PP
176 Posts
I installed ADD w1 v3 catch can to a 2022. I drove 1500 miles no issue and i recently got a CEL to come on. Wife drove and it to friends and on way homelight came on. I drove it around a bit and noticed high idle (around 1k to 2k temps around 200degrees or so. I checked all connections at all points with no signs of leaks. Took to dealership and they blaming it may be the can. They said they went through everything else possible for the P0507 code. We will see what happens. I have AEM intake, HKS blow off valve, and velossa tech ram air thats it. Anyone ran into anything similar?
One or both of the check valves have failed. ADD W1 v3 use a cheap check valve that is notorious for failing. Same exact thing happened to me. When the check valves fail, it is basically introducing a vacuum leak to your intake because the Version3 has a third hose to the intake between the air filter and the turbo . This will cause a high idle too. The P0507 code is triggered when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects that the engine is idling higher than the specified idle rpm range. When mine failed, the check valves internals were sucked into to the engine. Luckily I didn't have an engine failure, but I've heard that some are not so lucky. I believe the check ball is made of Delrin plastic. It was quite a shock when I took the check valves off and there was nothing inside. I will post a link to a quality check valve made for catch cans.

Reactions: Slimsnady

·
Registered
176 Posts
Here is a link to a Stinger forum where a guy had the same issue.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Here is the link to the UPR billet check valves they sell.

Reactions: Slimsnady

·
Registered
3 Posts
One or both of the check valves have failed. ADD W1 v3 use a cheap check valve that is notorious for failing. Same exact thing happened to me. When the check valves fail, it is basically introducing a vacuum leak to your intake because the Version3 has a third hose to the intake between the air filter and the turbo . This will cause a high idle too. The P0507 code is triggered when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects that the engine is idling higher than the specified idle rpm range. When mine failed, the check valves internals were sucked into to the engine. Luckily I didn't have an engine failure, but I've heard that some are not so lucky. I believe the check ball is made of Delrin plastic. It was quite a shock when I took the check valves off and there was nothing inside. I will post a link to a quality check valve made for catch cans.

The dealership said it was a failed check valve. Well let's see what ADD W1 says about this. I have it in their service report too!

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
You have a warranty with the ADD W-1. This has been a reoccurring problem for many of their CC owners. The issue is, they use one can for both PCV and CCV. It’s not a good set up IMO and they cheaped out on the other part.

Some of the CF cans have disintegrated or have split at the epoxied joint. 👍🇺🇸

·
Registered
3 Posts
You have a warranty with the ADD W-1. This has been a reoccurring problem for many of their CC owners. The issue is, they use one can for both PCV and CCV. It’s not a good set up IMO and they cheaped out on the other part.

Some of the CF cans have disintegrated or have split at the epoxied joint. 👍🇺🇸
I'm glad I joined this group. I just wish I had researched better. Atleast there was no major issue!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts