Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I installed a forge intercooler with cold pipe and bov, forge turbo inlet and catch can Car will make 8-10psi and then start to fall off.. I checked every hose and clamp this morning and everything is tight and on.. disconnected the boost Solenoid to see and same thing.. swapped out to the stock bov and still same thing.. wtf is going on that I’m missing ?

·
Registered
2020 PP Race Red//Fully Bolted
124 Posts
Any strange sounds? If there were a boost leak chances are you would hear it. Is the turbo making any noise? Waste gate plugged in and connected to the actuator?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any strange sounds? If there were a boost leak chances are you would hear it. Is the turbo making any noise? Waste gate plugged in and connected to the actuator?
No crazy noises and yes everything is connected

·
Registered
413 Posts
I think it's possible for boost to go down with a larger intercooler. But it doesn't always translate to less power.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's possible for boost to go down with a larger intercooler. But it doesn't always translate to less power.
to a point yes but going from peaking at 21 to now not going over 10 is a big difference

·
Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
139 Posts
Myke, you're running a JB4 correct? Did you swap back to map 0 to see if you have an issue on stock tune?

·
Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
139 Posts
Ok, and you've confirmed no boost leaks. When the car is losing boost is it being lost by the BOV purging (easy to hear) or is it the waste gate opening too early preventing your turbine from spooling up? Are you using the stock boost control solenoid or did you upgrade to a pierberg/MAC solenoid? Did you replace all your vacuum lines when you did the new boost pipe? When you hooked the JB4 back up to the map sensor on the boost pipe you didn't accidentally connect the car to the map sensor and JB4 to itself?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions man, those are just the next things I would look at if I was having the same problem. I just Did the boost pipe on mine a couple weeks ago and haven't had any issues. Keep us posted, I'm interested on what you find.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, and you've confirmed no boost leaks. When the car is losing boost is it being lost by the BOV purging (easy to hear) or is it the waste gate opening too early preventing your turbine from spooling up? Are you using the stock boost control solenoid or did you upgrade to a pierberg/MAC solenoid? Did you replace all your vacuum lines when you did the new boost pipe? When you hooked the JB4 back up to the map sensor on the boost pipe you didn't accidentally connect the car to the map sensor and JB4 to itself?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions man, those are just the next things I would look at if I was having the same problem. I just Did the boost pipe on mine a couple weeks ago and haven't had any issues. Keep us posted, I'm interested on what you find.
brother your good. I asked myself all those same questions 100 times ..but I think I found the problem. So being that I increased not only the flow but the volume of air it’s causing the bov to start dumping.. now this is what I missing in the beginning. When I installed the forge unit is when it first happened, so when I switched back to the factory unit and it did it I figured it had to be something else cause the factory bov worked fine before the install. I am going to order the spring kit tomorrow to see if I’m right..

·
Super Moderator
1,833 Posts
Are you still running the stock bov solenoid? Something else to look into. The factory one is so - so... Keep us all informed. Hope you find the problem and then a solution.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you still running the stock bov solenoid? Something else to look into. The factory one is so - so... Keep us all informed. Hope you find the problem and then a solution.

Best regards,

-Mike
yea it’s still on the factory boost solenoid, I will definitely look into a upgrade tho

·
Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
139 Posts
Good call on the BOV spring. I use the boomba which is non adjustable. Which BOV are you running? I would second ghost on the BOV solenoid, I think the stock one much like the stock BOV belongs in a spare parts box when you start using more boost like we are with a JB4 tune. Hope you get it worked out brother. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good call on the BOV spring. I use the boomba which is non adjustable. Which BOV are you running? I would second ghost on the BOV solenoid, I think the stock one much like the stock BOV belongs in a spare parts box when you start using more boost like we are with a JB4 tune. Hope you get it worked out brother. Keep us posted.

Yea I think he was on to something so I ordered the peirburg one from sxth. I have the forge unit . it’s nice that it’s buildable but I really feel like the extra springs should be included.. this morning I added some shims under the spring so it was under even more tension and behold 15.6 psi but it’s still venting under wot.. just happy to be on the right track ..

·
Super Moderator
1,833 Posts
For a trouble free BOV I first went with a GFB and now I have an HKS. Both hold the full boost when the pedal is pressed. The Go Fast Bits BOV was adjustable too by cranking down on the center spring. Let us know how it goes with the new spring? If all else fails you can go with either one of these or the Boomba one. All would be a great replacement.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Most of the issue that come up with the FMIC install revolve around how the silicon 90’s are installed. They need to be closer to the ends of the 90’s. Most install them to far up the pipes an create issues with sealing. Reposition all the 90’s closer to the ends of the boost pipes and cold pipe.

As for the OEM diverted and boost solenoid. Bag’em for spares. Both the boost control solenoid and diverted are erratic operation. Make sure all the line going to both are sealed with tie wraps or small metal clamps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@RedVN @Ghost @QuasiSweetLew
So here’s a update for y’all..my bov springs came today so I ran and threw on their blue spring 23-30 psi and low and behold it’s better but still did it.. so I turned around and swapped for the stiffest spring which is rated for 30+ psi ( it hurts to push it with ur thumb it’s so stiff) and it still failed .. so I went and checked every coupler again checked all the 90’s tighten a few but nothing more then a 1/8 of a turn took it for another spin and nope 👎.. so now I’m hoping the boost Solenoid fixes it..

Do you guys think it’s possible that maybe this one bov for be defective??
What else could it be??

·
Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
139 Posts
For kicks and giggles have you tried running with your stock bpv installed? If it was in working order when it was taken off the car and you run it in map 0 for diagnostics you should be 15-16psi all day long at WOT. If that works I'd say bad BOV if it still dumps boost early I'd look to swap the solenoid.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts