Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shifting into 3rd I noticed that I can feel it going into third instead of smoothly going in like the other gears, it's almost like I can feel mechanical feedback through the shifter upposed to the smooth shift for other gears. It's not grinding or making any noise the shift just feels almost gritty or notchy. Is this normal? I'm thinking of putting in Motul 300 or Motul DCTF and seeing if it helps? The car only has 1500 KMs so I'm not sure if I should take it to the dealer or try the fluid first?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Huh, that sounds like what mine does going into 1st. It's not every time though, maybe 1 in 20 shifts. If I let it go, it still seems to go into gear without issue, but if I'm not trying to take off, I often take it out and back in before I let go of the clutch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It goes into gear fine but it feels like there's little notch points as it's going in. A very mechanical feel. If I shift up near 4k rpm it's super smooth in 3rd usually.

I went and tested today and it's like this going into 2nd sometimes too, I also noticed it's not every shift into 3rd. I could get really smooth shifts if I pushed the shifter slightly towards 5th going into 3rd instead of straight in but this might be placebo.

I'm wondering if maybe the low km means the linkage is a little tight and needs to loosen up a little?

·
Registered
35 Posts
It goes into gear fine but it feels like there's little notch points as it's going in. A very mechanical feel. If I shift up near 4k rpm it's super smooth in 3rd usually.

I went and tested today and it's like this going into 2nd sometimes too, I also noticed it's not every shift into 3rd. I could get really smooth shifts if I pushed the shifter slightly towards 5th going into 3rd instead of straight in but this might be placebo.

I'm wondering if maybe the low km means the linkage is a little tight and needs to loosen up a little?
Honestly sounds like there is no issue, 3rd and second are sometimes like that with me too. It's likely that it's just a quirk of this specific gearbox.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you haven't done the trans fluid change, then it won't hurt. It made my shifts smoother. My 3rd gear is a little grindy but it's not that bad. I think the fix to this is slight adjustment of the shift cable linkage which would require you to remove a bunch of trim to get to it. It also clears up more when the car heats up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Early on for the manual the VN felt really stiff, after about 5-7k miles it loosens up quite nicely; likely could do it earlier by just rowing the gears more frequently.

3rd and 6th were generally problematic early on, 1st will always be a bit stiff when downshifting (a very noticeable gritty feeling, syncros have a lot of work to do there).

My running theory is that the syncros are really tight on tolerances early on and as you put wear on them they seat themselves a bit better.

This is my first like < 10 mile manual though, I don't know if any of the above is truly normal I just noticed the problem has largely disappeared with mileage.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Early on for the manual the VN felt really stiff, after about 5-7k miles it loosens up quite nicely; likely could do it earlier by just rowing the gears more frequently.

3rd and 6th were generally problematic early on, 1st will always be a bit stiff when downshifting (a very noticeable gritty feeling, syncros have a lot of work to do there).

My running theory is that the syncros are really tight on tolerances early on and as you put wear on them they seat themselves a bit better.

This is my first like < 10 mile manual though, I don't know if any of the above is truly normal I just noticed the problem has largely disappeared with mileage.
I go by the rule that I never downshift into first. There are occasions where I would be coming to a stop and still moving where I might shift into first(less than 5mph) from a higher gear but I try to avoid it. I tend to only use that gear for taking off. Breaking in the shifting has helped too, mine has noticeably gotten smoother and when going on a long drive with a decent amount of shifting it is pretty smooth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just read through this post again in more detail...but you downshift into first 😮
Well... it's a thing I do everyday; I turn the corner down the street from house in third, approach the lip to the incline to my driveway and garage and downshift into first and then slowly crawl the car up the driveway while feathering it. Florida doesn't have hills but because I am in a flood-zone my house is raised and because the VN is super low to the ground I have to be careful and I prefer to keep my daily in the garage since the sun can beat the **** out of the paint.

No point feathering in second... first gear exists for a reason.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well... it's a thing I do everyday; I turn the corner down the street from house in third, approach the lip to the incline to my driveway and garage and downshift into first and then slowly crawl the car up the driveway while feathering it. Florida doesn't have hills but because I am in a flood-zone my house is raised and because the VN is super low to the ground I have to be careful and I prefer to keep my daily in the garage since the sun can beat the **** out of the paint.

No point feathering in second... first gear exists for a reason.
That’s different I thought you were downshifting into first consistently to slow yourself down lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
That’s different I thought you were downshifting into first consistently to slow yourself down lol
Lol 😂 no, majority of slow speed is spent in 2nd... I'll maybe drive around in first in a tight parking garage but mostly because I'll likely need to stop for corners or pedestrian's etc. The VN thankfully has enough grunt it can tug it's way at idle in 2nd and kinda roll in 3rd even if it's flat enough.

First manual as a daily though so I have done plenty of things I likely would prefer to avoid but it's better to keep the vehicle in gear vs feathering the clutch so I prefer the above.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts