Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

Registered
This situation has left me with absolutely no faith that anyone will do the right thing. So my interaction with someone from Meineke corporate was now clearly just a formality. They won't return any calls and nothing they said would occur has occured. They haven't even spoken once to the dealer who has my car. Fine. I get it, they're a sleezeball corporation trying to cover their mistakes. Now I'm literally stuck because for some unfathomable reason I can not get the dealership to put in writing what they verbally told me. Not even a document stating "this is what we found and this is why you need a new transmission". Just the run around. They jumped all over getting the part though which I got them to lower the price and I may have the car back this week. The real kicker was that I got an e-mail this morning presumably from their sales manager saying there's a high demand for my car and they want to offer to buy it from me for 10k less than I paid after I pay them 6k to fix it.

I need something on paper from the dealer more than anything else right now as supporting documentation to move forward with any legitimate action. The cost of a lawyer at $275 per hour whom I "may" be able to recover fees from in court is not worth it imo. If I were to lose I could be on the hook for like 20k between the car and both sides attorneys. Small claims looks like the way to go but I must admit it's confusing. Total BS.
I'm sorry for you my friend, I really feel horrible for your situation, and I find it quite disgusting and despicable that people will not have integrity and own up to their mistakes and failures.
Unfortunately this is the world we live in now we're profits are put above morals and values.
I know this advice is coming late, but sometimes in these situations recording conversations can be so beneficial in making your case.
I was going to say that the moral of this story is to always take our cars to the dealerships for maintenance, but even dealerships can screw things up, cause damage to other parts of the car(door dings for example.)
I find that if I have the space, tools and time, its always best to do the maintenance myself, especially things like oil/fluid changes, brakes, light bulbs etc.
Now with YouTube, you can easily find maintenance videos on almost everything.
Good luck.

Registered
Have you files a consumer protection action against the company?

Maybe, is always the case when you go to court with a lawyer. You have to rely upon a judge and jury to deliberate a satisfactory settlement. Small claims is the place to take the individual business, along with any and all documentation, photos & witnesses you can muster. Your past service and inspections at the dealership service department are a start. They can print them out for you from the service computer database.

Dealerships are generally, not wanting involve themselves. However, it doesn't cost anything to take it to small claims court, unless you desire legal representation. Sure, they want the car because they know they are able to get a premium price off your loss. You can't negotiate with them either on the price either.

Meineke has a multitude of complaints against them with BBB and other agencies, they aren't about to or are interested in helping the individual who has problems with one of their franchises.

I'm a bit dismayed at the actions of the mechanic and business.
Sad state of affairs and I'm truly sorry you had to experience it first hand.馃槚
I guess I will look into consumer affairs again. I went there last night and when I got the call back it was some **** wanting me to pay a monthly fee for something. I just want some help getting my car fixed. Ugghh.

Registered
I'm sorry for you my friend, I really feel horrible for your situation, and I find it quite disgusting and despicable that people will not have integrity and own up to their mistakes and failures.
Unfortunately this is the world we live in now we're profits are put above morals and values.
I know this advice is coming late, but sometimes in these situations recording conversations can be so beneficial in making your case.
I was going to say that the moral of this story is to always take our cars to the dealerships for maintenance, but even dealerships can screw things up, cause damage to other parts of the car(door dings for example.)
I find that if I have the space, tools and time, its always best to do the maintenance myself, especially things like oil/fluid changes, brakes, light bulbs etc.
Now with YouTube, you can easily find maintenance videos on almost everything.
Good luck.
Well the dealer was the one that screwed me. I was too scared to use anyone but them. Now I'm refuse to let them touch my car

Registered
Doesn't cost anything to file a direct complaint;
There's a lot of good information here on what to do and how to go about it.
Gonna check this out after I get off work. Thanks man. You've been extremely helpful. I for some reason wasnt finding this info

Registered
Discussion Starter #68
Have you files a consumer protection action against the company?

Maybe, is always the case when you go to court with a lawyer. You have to rely upon a judge and jury to deliberate a satisfactory settlement. Small claims is the place to take the individual business, along with any and all documentation, photos & witnesses you can muster. Your past service and inspections at the dealership service department are a start. They can print them out for you from the service computer database.

Dealerships are generally, not wanting involve themselves in legal matters other than their own. However, it doesn't cost anything to take it to small claims court, unless you desire legal representation. Sure, they want the car because they know they are able to get a premium price off your loss. You can't negotiate with them either on the price either.

Meineke has a multitude of complaints against them with BBB and other agencies, they aren't about to or are interested in helping the individual who has problems with one of their franchises.

I'm a bit dismayed at the actions of the mechanic and business.
Sad state of affairs and I'm truly sorry you had to experience it first hand.馃槚
Oh I totally understand Hyundai's reluctance to get in the middle of it from a business perspective but the odd part is they were the ones who volunteered to do exactly that because of how obvious the situation was. I almost get the vibe that they were told from higher up to zip it and say or do nothing further. I'm not paying them anything without at least some sort of print out that describes what they found and why I needed a transmission though and I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

The thing is, consumer protection agency and any other entity including a court will want supporting documentation. There's actually some great articles about suing large corporations in small claims court because in most cases they are at a disadvantage and in some states are even forbidden from bringing lawyers. Most people win by default due to no-show. The tricky part looks to be serving exactly the right person (in this case in nevada, a corporate officer), making sure everything is done properly and then of course getting the judgment enforced later on. I'm not giving up though and I'll get the local news station involved if I have to (I've made it happen before).

Registered
Oh I totally understand Hyundai's reluctance to get in the middle of it from a business perspective but the odd part is they were the ones who volunteered to do exactly that because of how obvious the situation was. I almost get the vibe that they were told from higher up to zip it and say or do nothing further. I'm not paying them anything without at least some sort of print out that describes what they found and why I needed a transmission though and I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

The thing is, consumer protection agency and any other entity including a court will want supporting documentation. There's actually some great articles about suing large corporations in small claims court because in most cases they are at a disadvantage and in some states are even forbidden from bringing lawyers. Most people win by default due to no-show. The tricky part looks to be serving exactly the right person (in this case in nevada, a corporate officer), making sure everything is done properly and then of course getting the judgment enforced later on. I'm not giving up though and I'll get the local news station involved if I have to (I've made it happen before).
I agree with the higher up maybe said zip.it. cause the dealer I bought from was the ones that over revved the car. Then when I went to the other dealer they were all gung ho to fix it were.gonna do all this stuff to it they said. And also were gonna pull the date and time of incident. But when I went and picked it up they were all hush hush. Wouldnt tell me anything. So yea I think they were also told to zip.it

Registered
Discussion Starter #70
So I'm not sure how interested anyone here is to hear about how this situation is progressing but at the very least it will serve as both a warning and a reasonable template for how you might expect to be handled at the dealer.

In any case, today I had a day off work and I drove down to the Hyundai dealership and requested to speak with the service manager whom I've been talking to remotely this whole time. He came and brought me into his office within 5 minutes and we went over the whole situation. It became clear that he was just a really busy guy getting pulled in 50 different directions. He not only wrote me a written statement regarding their findings he also made sure anything and everything I wanted to be stated was in said document. He also elaborated on his findings by bringing the broken off bolt into the office along side a normal factory bolt and explained that these parts are factory spray painted and that any attempt to wrench at them is made clear.

Additionally he stated that he's going to try to get me set up with free alternate transportation if the part takes much longer to get in. And he's going to make some calls to see given the nature of the situation if Hyundai would be willing to possibly even reduce further the cost or even do it for free as a gesture of good will. Although and of course expectedly, this one is a long shot. Nevertheless, I appreciate it.

Last and most importantly he stated he is willing to testify for me in court. I had never asked this of him and I told him he's restored my faith in humanity (to a point).

To my surprise, he also stated that I wouldn't lose my 10 year warranty on the transmission because I would simply be starting off where I left off with a brand new part. The only caveat is that the labor on installation is only warrantied for 12 months. Given that an improper installation would probably reveal itself well before 12 months, I'll take it.

I then also further discussed their stance on modifications to the car and he said he really doesn't care what I do even up to and including tuning the car so long as it doesn't clearly damage critical parts. I know a lot of people go put of their way to unplug stuff or even swap out ECU's because of this fear. He's basically just saying if a warranty claim occurs and my modification was clearly the cause, that's really only the time it's an issue.

Granted, I don't know how much of any of this will occur but I do know I finally have documented evidence to where I can actually move forward in a meaningful way. The major issue I've encountered is determining Meineke's correct listing with the nevada secretary of state's office so that I may send the demand letter to the correct person at the correct address.

Registered
So I'm not sure how interested anyone here is to hear about how this situation is progressing but at the very least it will serve as both a warning and a reasonable template for how you might expect to be handled at the dealer.

In any case, today I had a day off work and I drove down to the Hyundai dealership and requested to speak with the service manager whom I've been talking to remotely this whole time. He came and brought me into his office within 5 minutes and we went over the whole situation. It became clear that he was just a really busy guy getting pulled in 50 different directions. He not only wrote me a written statement regarding their findings he also made sure anything and everything I wanted to be stated was in said document. He also elaborated on his findings by bringing the broken off bolt into the office along side a normal factory bolt and explained that these parts are factory spray painted and that any attempt to wrench at them is made clear.

Additionally he stated that he's going to try to get me set up with free alternate transportation if the part takes much longer to get in. And he's going to make some calls to see given the nature of the situation if Hyundai would be willing to possibly even reduce further the cost or even do it for free as a gesture of good will. Although and of course expectedly, this one is a long shot. Nevertheless, I appreciate it.

Last and most importantly he stated he is willing to testify for me in court. I had never asked this of him and I told him he's restored my faith in humanity (to a point).

To my surprise, he also stated that I wouldn't lose my 10 year warranty on the transmission because I would simply be starting off where I left off with a brand new part. The only caveat is that the labor on installation is only warrantied for 12 months. Given that an improper installation would probably reveal itself well before 12 months, I'll take it.

I then also further discussed their stance on modifications to the car and he said he really doesn't care what I do even up to and including tuning the car so long as it doesn't clearly damage critical parts. I know a lot of people go put of their way to unplug stuff or even swap out ECU's because of this fear. He's basically just saying if a warranty claim occurs and my modification was clearly the cause, that's really only the time it's an issue.

Granted, I don't know how much of any of this will occur but I do know I finally have documented evidence to where I can actually move forward in a meaningful way. The major issue I've encountered is determining Meineke's correct listing with the nevada secretary of state's office so that I may send the demand letter to the correct person at the correct address.
I called to speak to a manager or owner at my dealer. Told them what happened with the over rev and told them I want the edr pulled. Supposed to call me back. we will see

Registered
馃ぃ That ^ will get their attention.
This is a big development and a great helping hand in itself.
See, the worst they can say is no. In this case it's; go!!! I keep asking owners to do this but they shy away from it and never realize the possibilities. Not saying that every dealership is going to accommodate, but unless the question is ask, the owner is never going to know. Saves a lot of aggravation, anciety and time.

Good on you for sticking with it and not giving in or up.!!!!!:)(y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #73
I wanted to wait until I actually had what the dealership told me verbally on paper to try the car insurance angle because normally that sort of thing is an exclusion. I filed a claim with my insurance yesterday and provided them with exactly that and stated that my car has essentially been vandalized by meineke thereby falling within the boundaries of my comprehensive coverage. And here's my proof. It's gone through two different people now and there's actually a reasonable chance I may get it covered minus my much lower deductible. I was told to not pay the dealer just yet.

Super Moderator
Nice job! Keep the faith! ;)

Best regards,

-Mike

Registered
I wanted to wait until I actually had what the dealership told me verbally on paper to try the car insurance angle because normally that sort of thing is an exclusion. I filed a claim with my insurance yesterday and provided them with exactly that and stated that my car has essentially been vandalized by meineke thereby falling within the boundaries of my comprehensive coverage. And here's my proof. It's gone through two different people now and there's actually a reasonable chance I may get it covered minus my much lower deductible. I was told to not pay the dealer just yet.
Awesome. I found a lawyer today to take my case. In my town also. I told him all about what happened and everything. He said sounds like a good case. glad you got some good news too

Registered
Awesome. I found a lawyer today to take my case. In my town also. I told him all about what happened and everything. He said sounds like a good case. glad you got some good news too
I wish/pray the best for both of you. 馃檹(y)

Registered
This is more of the cannon fodder for your records, help to educate how it's serviced, which you'll need if you go by way of the courts or need the extra push of information. This is how Hyundai Service manual tells the tech to service the Transaxle There wasn't any need to remove the upper bolt. The mechanic didn't know how to service it and wouldn't have removed the upper bolt if he knew what he was doing;

Registered
This is more of the cannon fodder for your records, help to educate how it's serviced, which you'll need if you go by way of the courts or need the extra push of information. This is how Hyundai Service manual tells the tech to service the Transaxle There wasn't any need to remove the upper bolt. The mechanic didn't know how to service it and wouldn't have removed the upper bolt if he knew what he was doing;
View attachment 4653 View attachment 4654
You got some awesome info man. Glad I ran into you here

Registered
Discussion Starter #79
View attachment 4653 View attachment 4654
Thank you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #80
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone trying to sort this problem out. Even my insurance company seems inept and unable to properly coordinate with the dealership to move forward. There's still no tracking number on the new transmission even if I said I would pay cash tomorrow. I chose to have them order and install it to eliminate any sort of third party issues or risk them saying something like oh, since you got the transmission yourself it was bad. Also, the service manager got the price down close to hyundaipartsdeal. According to the service manager they are probably going to have to pull one off the assembly line and make me one because the car is so new and rare....

Meanwhile, I've been waiting for weeks on a loaner car that never materializes. I can't say I'm mad at Hyundai, more like if it can go wrong it does with this situation. Meanwhile my complaint with the Nevada consumer protection agency got kicked back saying they don't have the proper jurisdiction over repair shops and referred me to the DMV who is totally overloaded from covid and months out on appointments. And of course they only accept paper copies no digital complaints.

It still seems odd to me that a broken bolt must result in a full transmission replacement. Sorry, just needed to blow off some steam. I miss my car.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts