Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It was probably from a wreck but if the trans. is fine then who cares. It looks like its from a competent parts vendor.
Sorry to hear about your nightmare.
Just curious, is changing out the manual transmission fluid something we need to do before the recommended time in the owners manual, if we have no issues with shifting?
Good luck.
Per the manual, no. As you can see though it was pretty dirty after just 3600 miles. I don't do any launches or anything crazy either. Never missed a shift and don't do much stop and go driving.

·
Super Moderator
1,174 Posts
I used this as my guide. They even give torque specs....

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: RedVN

·
Super Moderator
1,174 Posts
The shop did it. The ? is, will they man up to it? Best of luck to you.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
This particular bolt doesn't come out in the process of draining/filling tranny fluid. The shop mechanic didn't know what he was doing by attempting to take it out. I can imagine he thought, it was either necessary to refill or to make sure he was able to get enough fluid in. There wasn't even a need to check it and it wasn't just laying in the hole. As the bolt hole, is a larger diameter then the bolt. So if it was broke off at the threaded portion it will rattle around. The there are no marks on the bolt shank itself.

If you look at the photo of where it's located, there is a factory thread/bolt locker on the bolt head area. It's even all around the face of the entry hole. It's not dried up trans oil. I still believe they'll find the threaded bolt portion, still in the bottom of the hole. The lower bolt in this picture is the one that is removed and used to fill the tranny. Once it starts to runout of that hole the transmission is full.

It's simply another mark and proof the shop was responsible.

This bolt has been snapped off by excessive torque. It's done so, from shear alone.

Click on either one of the photos to enlarge.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The shop did it. The ? is, will they man up to it? Best if luck to you.

Best regards,

-Mike
If they don't, I 100% will sue. I will say that since I got Hyundai involved their tone has definitely changed.

When I made it clear that they are literally the only ones to have ever touched the transmission it became virtually undisputable that they are at fault.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Moral of the story.....if you want the job done right, you do it yourself.
I had a 1988 Honda Civic hatchback, took it to my local mechanic, where the job was given to a rookie, who when removing the old oil filter left the rubber gasket on the engine.
Put on the new filter now with 2 gaskets..... the oil slowly drained out in fact I could see a line of oil on the road, red light came on the dash, and luckily I immediately turned off the engine with no damage.
Ever since I do all my own oil changes and other maintenance I feel I can handle, and have never had an issue.
Saved a ton of $$$$ doing my own oil/fluid changes on my Porsche, where Poesche charges over $300. Total RIP off.
Saved $800 doing my own brakes.
The other amazing benefit to doing your own maintenance is that you learn so much about the car.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N w/PP
224 Posts
I am not an ASE certified mechanic, but even I would not touch that bolt because it is clearly structural. The lower bolt actually looks like a fill port. Besides, I consult manuals, etc. before I do anything just so I don't fudge things up. I am also careful not to force things. As a kid my father taught me that when things start to get too difficult to stop and review what you are doing. And always use your fingers to properly thread a bolt too. Little things like that..

·
Registered
249 Posts
Doing your own maintenance on the Veloster N is not so much an issue in Canada, since we don't get the amazing 10-year 100,000 mile warranty you gents get in the states, however for you guys, does doing your own maintenance (oil/fluid changes etc.)affect your warranty at all?
I guess what I'm asking is does Hyundai frown upon shade-tree mechanics?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Moral of the story.....if you want the job done right, you do it yourself.
I had a 1988 Honda Civic hatchback, took it to my local mechanic, where the job was given to a rookie, who when removing the old oil filter left the rubber gasket on the engine.
Put on the new filter now with 2 gaskets..... the oil slowly drained out in fact I could see a line of oil on the road, red light came on the dash, and luckily I immediately turned off the engine with no damage.
Ever since I do all my own oil changes and other maintenance I feel I can handle, and have never had an issue.
Saved a ton of $$$$ doing my own oil/fluid changes on my Porsche, where Poesche charges over $300. Total RIP off.
Saved $800 doing my own brakes.
The other amazing benefit to doing your own maintenance is that you learn so much about the car.
Good luck.
I understand the sentiment and absolutely would if I had the tools, space and talent.
Doing your own maintenance on the Veloster N is not so much an issue in Canada, since we don't get the amazing 10-year 100,000 mile warranty you gents get in the states, however for you guys, does doing your own maintenance (oil/fluid changes etc.)affect your warranty at all?
The service manager flat out told me I am free to do whatever I want to the car with only a couple of exceptions like tunes, BOV's and messing with the turbo. He said hey, we're all car guys here and I still have to be able to prove that your negligence or part caused the warranty issue. But that's only one dealership.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here in the states we have the Magnusson-Moss Act, which should, theoretically, make the onus of proving anything you've done (maintenance or mod) that has caused damage on the dealer/manufacturer. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Maintenance can be accomplished by the owner in the US. However, the owner needs to make sure that all receipts and dates of service coincide with those of the Hyundai maintenance schedule. That all warranty recalls are accomplished IAW Hyundai and documented in the Hyundai maintenance service system. Other than this there is no other requirement.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts