Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this afternoon I brought my N down to my local mechanic to have them put the redline mt-lv I bought. They warned against changing the fluids so soon and possibly jeapordizing my warranty. I went ahead and two things were discovered. The fluid was nearly black and absolutely full of metal shavings. Not just fine particulate on the magnetic drain plug but throughout. And then the real doozy was they noticed a bolt in the transmission was just sitting in the hole loose. I'm now sitting on hold for over an hour to get my free roadside assistance. 2020 PP manual btw.

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
587 Posts
So this afternoon I brought my N down to my local mechanic to have them put the redline mt-lv I bought. They warned against changing the fluids so soon and possibly jeapordizing my warranty. I went ahead and two things were discovered. The fluid was nearly black and absolutely full of metal shavings. Not just fine particulate on the magnetic drain plug but throughout. And then the real doozy was they noticed a bolt in the transmission was just sitting in the hole loose. I'm now sitting on hold for over an hour to get my free roadside assistance. 2020 PP manual btw. View attachment 4499 View attachment 4500 View attachment 4501
Man that sucks I am sorry brother.

-JE

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
552 Posts
The MT-LV is the proper fluid spec and will not void the warranty. You may have a warranty claim.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
So this afternoon I brought my N down to my local mechanic to have them put the redline mt-lv I bought. They warned against changing the fluids so soon and possibly jeopardizing my warranty. I went ahead and two things were discovered. The fluid was nearly black and absolutely full of metal shavings. Not just fine particulate on the magnetic drain plug but throughout. And then the real doozy was they noticed a bolt in the transmission was just sitting in the hole loose. I'm now sitting on hold for over an hour to get my free roadside assistance. 2020 PP manual btw. View attachment 4499 View attachment 4500 View attachment 4501
So, the bolt you're showing was broken off in the trans, how? Who removed the bolt and with what, an impact gun?

It's not unusual for the trans fluid to be black or have metal shaving as shown in the bottom of the drain pitcher with oil. However, if the bolt was broken off into the transmission casing, it's going to have to be split and removed before anything else is done. I can tell you now, the bolt wasn't broken before hand, as there weren't enough threads to hold it in place. It would have fallen out well before, the oil would have been forced out the remaining piece would have torn the trans up. I can't say whether or not the mechanic who worked on it did it, as I wasn't' there. However, understanding, knowing how the bolt is inserted, threaded in and torqued, it's not do to factory placement or install.🤔 I can tell you for sure, if an impact gun was utilized and set to tighten first when applied fro removal, it will snap the bolt at the shank and leave the lower portion of the threads in place in the casing. Just as shown in the photos above. Are the threads still at the bottom of the hole?

You can check real quick by inserting a thin screwdriver in the hole and check the depth at which it stops. It will equal the length of the bolt shank. I know, I've seen it enough before on aircraft, automotive & motorcycle cases.

Personally I'd be looking closer to home, if you understand my meaning.:confused:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, the bolt you're showing was broken off in the trans? Who removed the bolt and with what, an impact gun?
The bolt was merely discovered to be sitting in that hole loose. The tech noticed it slightly sticking out so he pulled on it and it was not secured at all and with no way to put it back. Really bizarre.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, the bolt you're showing was broken off in the trans, how? Who removed the bolt and with what, an impact gun?

It's not unusual for the trans fluid to be black or have metal shaving as shown in the bottom of the drain pitcher with oil. However, if the bolt was broken off into the transmission casing, it's going to have to be split and removed before anything else is done. I can tell you now, the bolt wasn't broken before hand as there weren't enough threads to hold it in place. It would have fallen out well before and the remainder of the oil and bolt most likely would have torn the trans up. I can't say whether or not the mechanic who worked on it, did it as I wasn't' there. However, understanding and knowing how the bolt is inserted, threaded in and torqued it's not do to factory placement or install.🤔
Are you saying that bolt is in fact longer and there's likely a part of it inside?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The bolt was merely discovered to be sitting in that hole loose. The tech noticed it slightly sticking out so he pulled on it and it was not secured at all and with no way to put it back. Really bizarre.
Nope ithe bolt would have been gone long ago. It's not it's still in place and more than likely broken off when they tried to remove it.

Yes and intact in the threaded casing. It actually can't go any further into the transmission case. If the mechanic broke it off, they're responsible for fixing it. What I'm telling you is; this bolt if broken off from the factory, would have been long gone before anyone touched it and the threaded portion will still be in the case threads. Won't be down in the case but in the threaded portion of the case itself. If it broke off and fell in the case, then the cases need to be split and the threaded portion of the both removed. The case and transmission needs to be inspected for damage.

However, you drove it there correct? The transmission was functioning fine until they found the bolt broken off, correct? How likely is this to have occurred prior to removal and attempted service. Not saying it was for sure the mechanic but it's dubious to say the least. Bolts just don't break off on their own. They need help mechanically. This bolt in this position , would have been gone long ago from road and engine vibration.

Be suttle and ask them with what tool did they remove the bolt and why? Then do the prior. Then have mechanic stick a screwdriver into the drain hole and check the depth, check it against the length of the broke bolt.

That's all I'm going to say.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes and instact in the threaded casing. It actually can't go any further into the transmission case. If the mechanic broke it off, they're responsible for fixing it. What I'm tellin you is; this bolt if broken off from the factory would have been long gone before anyone touched it and the threaded portion will still be in the case threads. Won't be down in the case but in the threaded portion of the case itself. If it broke off and fell in the case then the cases need to be split and the threaded portion of the both removed. The case and transmission needs to be inspected for damage.

However, you drove it there. The transmission was functioning fine until they found the bolt broken off. How likely is this to have occurred prior to removal and attempted service. Not saying it was for sure the mechanic but it's dubious to say the least. Bolts just don't break off on their own. They need help mechanically. This on in this position would have been gone long ago from road and engine vibration.

Have the mechanic stick a screwdriver into the drain hole and check the depth, then check it against the length of the broke bolt.

That's all I'm going to say.
Got it. Oh boy, this is going to get interesting. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

·
Administrator
1,877 Posts
I think Red is correct. I did 2 trans. fluid changes so far and no evidence of what you have what so ever. I think an impact gun was used too. ALWAYS use a torque wrench when tightening it back up. I think that 17mm bolt is 46 to 50 ft. lbs.

Red's right. You drove it there and it was fine. If it was just hanging there you would have lost a lot of fluid while driving and blew the transmission. It would have vibrated itself loose. I hate to say this and sorry if it's blunt, but the shop did it. This is one reason I do everything myself. Man, I feel bad for you. Let us know if there is anything we can try to help you with? Good luck and we got your back.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think Red is correct. I did 2 trans. fluid changes so far and no evidence of what you have what so ever. I think an impact gun was used too. ALWAYS use a torque wrench when tightening it back up. I think that 17mm bolt is 46 to 50 ft. lbs.

Red's right. You drove it there and it was fine. If it was just hanging there you would have lost a lot of fluid while driving and blew the transmission. It would have vibrated itself loose. I hate to say this and sorry if it's blunt, but the shop did it. This is one reason I do everything myself. Man, I feel bad for you. Let us know if there is anything we can try to help you with? Good luck and we got your back.

Best regards,

-Mike
+1

If that car left your line of sight at the mechanic and you came back and they "showed" you the bolt that was loose or falling out....

Good luck and keep us informed! I'll pray for you!

-Sam

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dealership got back to me today and said that it's an expansion bolt that would not come out without some serious force. Since there was no other damage and the transmission had never been serviced, the shop must have caused the damage. They said they tried to think of some way to present it to corporate for a warranty claim but said it would be impossible and that a new transmission is needed. I wasn't surprised by any of this. It's now up to me to get the shop to admit fault when they said they did nothing wrong. I couldn't possibly be more bummed. I'm expecting I will have to sue which could take months on top of the months just to get the tranny from Korea which apparently costs like 7-8k FML..

·
Registered
762 Posts
There are a lot of different ways to handle this. Hopefully the shop will admit fault, but it seems very unlikely since they apparently deceived you initially. Even if there were cameras in the shop, I doubt they would have caught the right angle with the technician under the vehicle. You can certainly sue them, though you may not find an attorney to take the case for you on contingency given the costs involved. In a case like this where there is a problem for which no one wants to admit fault, some shops will offer to do your labor for free. However, even if they did that would seem like a bad idea given that it sounds like they caused the trouble to begin with. In the meantime, you might just need to source a used transmission and have a reputable shop install it while you fight the lawsuit, assuming you want to go that route.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
That's correct and is one of the reasons I thought it was done by the shop you took it to.

I don't understand the need for a new tranny when all that has to be done is split the cases, (clutch and transmission) remove the broken threaded portion of the bolt from the case, flush, inspect it for damage, reassemble and service. This repair by replacement by Hyundai is ridiculous and expensive if they aren't going to do a warranty repair.

Transmission is not that expensive;
You can do this two ways;

1. Lawyer up and take it to a regular civil lawsuit.
2. Get legal assistance and take it to small claims court for a maximum of $5K

It's pretty obvious the shop that was going doing the tranny oil change, broke the bolt with an impact gun or similar power tool. You still need to verify if the threaded portion was left in the threaded case. If it is, then you have even more evidence to present to the shop and in court. Ask the dealership that took it in to allow you to examine as I the bolt hole as I suggested or have them do it for you. Take plenty of photos when you do. Keep in mind the last time the car was at the dealership for service and multi-point inspection. They generally have it on file in the computer and can print out the actual service and inspection sheet. You'll need it, especially to confront the owner of the shop you took it too and for court.

Let the shop owner know your intention up front. Present any evidence you can acquire as above. Don't provide it to them directly but negotiate a settlement from them. This will be better for you in the long run. Stay calm, the law and evidence is on your side. Stand your ground and explain to the owner what is going to cost you out of pocket due to their direct negligence. They need to make it right no matter. This includes; alternate transportation cost for rental, out of pocket expenses for the actual repair and any direct related costs. You can explain to them it is not going to be covered under warranty by Hyundai because of their negligence and give them the option of doing the repairs out of pocket or Hyundai doing the repairs that will cost them considerably more after being presented a lawsuit n a civil court of law.

An attorney held in retainer can negotiate this for you quite well, so it's something to consider for the long haul. Don't discuss this any longer publically, is the first thing you'll be told by a lawyer. So don't talk about it until it here anymore until it's over and done with.

I hate to see anyone have to go thru this type of action but there are disreputable shops and mechanics that need to be held accountable. The mechanic who worked on the your VN isn't going to offer up anything, he's to worries about losing his job. This is the way of it, if he was going to he would have come clean at the beginning. All your conversation from this point onward needs to be with the owner of the business. No one else and keep records of your discussions. However, you might want to consult and attorney before contacting the shop owner directly.

My best wishes in a favorable result for you, to make you whole again. If you want to discuss this any further, drop me a PM.

·
Administrator
1,877 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's correct and is one of the reasons I thought it was done by the shop you took it to.

I don't understand the need for a new tranny when all that has to be done is split the cases, (clutch and transmission) remove the broken threaded portion of the bolt from the case, flush, inspect it for damage, reassemble and service. This repair by replacement by Hyundai is ridiculous and expensive if they aren't going to do a warranty repair.

Transmission is not that expensive;
You can do this two ways;

1. Lawyer up and take it to a regular civil lawsuit.
2. Get legal assistance and take it to small claims court for a maximum of $5K

It's pretty obvious the shop that was going doing the tranny oil change, broke the bolt with an impact gun or similar power tool. You still need to verify if the threaded portion was left in the threaded case. If it is, then you have even more evidence to present to the shop and in court. Ask the dealership that took it in to allow you to examine as I the bolt hole as I suggested or have them do it for you. Take plenty of photos when you do. Keep in mind the last time the car was at the dealership for service and multi-point inspection. They generally have it on file in the computer and can print out the actual service and inspection sheet. You'll need it, especially to confront the owner of the shop you took it too and for court.

Let the shop owner know your intention up front. Present any evidence you can acquire as above. Don't provide it to them directly but negotiate a settlement from them. This will be better for you in the long run. Stay calm, the law and evidence is on your side. Stand your ground and explain to the owner what is going to cost you out of pocket due to their direct negligence. They need to make it right no matter. This includes; alternate transportation cost for rental, out of pocket expenses for the actual repair and any direct related costs. You can explain to them it is not going to be covered under warranty by Hyundai because of their negligence and give them the option of doing the repairs out of pocket or Hyundai doing the repairs that will cost them considerably more after being presented a lawsuit n a civil court of law.

An attorney held in retainer can negotiate this for you quite well, so it's something to consider for the long haul. Don't discuss this any longer publically, is the first thing you'll be told by a lawyer. So don't talk about it until it here anymore until it's over and done with.

I hate to see anyone have to go thru this type of action but there are disreputable shops and mechanics that need to be held accountable. The mechanic who worked on the your VN isn't going to offer up anything, he's to worries about losing his job. This is the way of it, if he was going to he would have come clean at the beginning. All your conversation from this point onward needs to be with the owner of the business. No one else and keep records of your discussions. However, you might want to consult and attorney before contacting the shop owner directly.

My best wishes in a favorable result for you, to make you whole again. If you want to discuss this any further, drop me a PM.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply and advice. I will say, aside from the high price tag, Hyundai is offering to go to bat and talk directly to the shop and in essence saying you must have caused the damage. What really killed me was that Hyundai said they would not have had an issue putting redline in the car so my avoidance of them was pointless to begin with. As they say, live and learn.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't worry Bud, I got your back.... Here is a great cheaper alternative and there is nothing wrong with it. If you offer him 1100 bucks he will take it all day long....

Best regards,

-Mike
That is certainly much cheaper! What's the deal typically with a transmission like this being sold? Is it typically from a car that was totalled but had this part unharmed or something? Thank you.

·
Administrator
1,877 Posts
It was probably from a wreck but if the trans. is fine then who cares. It looks like its from a competent parts vendor. If it was me, I'd ask for more close up pictures and ask them about it. If I had the extra cash, I'd buy it. lol.... Good luck with whatever you decide.

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: DesertN

·
Registered
2020 Manual Performance Blue N, stock. PPF on front.
291 Posts
Sorry to hear about your nightmare.
Just curious, is changing out the manual transmission fluid something we need to do before the recommended time in the owners manual, if we have no issues with shifting?
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts