Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am new here as well. Bought my Black, stick shift 2021 Veloster N yesterday evening.
It's a blast already, just in Eco mode driving home.. Had to drive 3 hrs and 45 mins to a dealership that had the manual in black! looking forward to learning a lot here! I've been bored to death driving a Chevy Traverse automatic (honestly great if you need to haul tons of stuff...) since 2012, when I sold my 'medium level (stage 2?) modded' 2004 Subaru WRX. Having acceleration at ALL again is thrilling.

All that said, I bought this car so I would not have to do any mods. It was my second choice to a brand new Porsche Cayman, but I'm sending a daughter to college in a year, and I left my wallet with $80,000 (for Cayman with all the standard features of Veloster N added) on my 500 ft yacht ;) This thing seems like great value for the $, and the Hyundai Warranty looks great. I'm already impressed that i felt no turbo lag, something I had to address with a cobb accessport, and a new uppipe and downpipe on the old WRX to make it feel safe! Apparently (based on internet research and 2 friends who have then inoperable in their garage, the high performance Subies now seem to have poor reliability, and never had a very good factory warranty, so i was looking for something very fun, but not as ugly as a Civic Type R. Hoping I made the right choice!

SHORT list of possible changes.
- Window tint WILL be within the next couple weeks. Max Legal in VA, no more. I'm trying to be a bit sleeper. If I could I'd have made the red trim along the car black, even though its gorgeous, to take away the one 'look at me' feature.
-As I live in Blacksburg VA, very random weather, often crappy, and this has Summer tires. I have to look into what to do when the snow returns. Maybe a second set of wheels, maybe just all seasons on these wheels. I'm assuming if I dig through this forum there will be lots of good info.

Thanks All!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello all! I am new here as well. Bought my Black, stick shift 2021 Veloster N yesterday evening.
It's a blast already, just in Eco mode driving home.. Had to drive 3 hrs and 45 mins to a dealership that had the manual in black! looking forward to learning a lot here! I've been bored to death driving a Chevy Traverse automatic (honestly great if you need to haul tons of stuff...) since 2012, when I sold my 'medium level (stage 2?) modded' 2004 Subaru WRX. Having acceleration at ALL again is thrilling.

All that said, I bought this car so I would not have to do any mods. It was my second choice to a brand new Porsche Cayman, but I'm sending a daughter to college in a year, and I left my wallet with $80,000 (for Cayman with all the standard features of Veloster N added) on my 500 ft yacht ;) This thing seems like great value for the $, and the Hyundai Warranty looks great. I'm already impressed that i felt no turbo lag, something I had to address with a cobb accessport, and a new uppipe and downpipe on the old WRX to make it feel safe! Apparently (based on internet research and 2 friends who have then inoperable in their garage, the high performance Subies now seem to have poor reliability, and never had a very good factory warranty, so i was looking for something very fun, but not as ugly as a Civic Type R. Hoping I made the right choice!

- Window tint WILL be within the next couple weeks. Max Legal in VA, no more. I'm trying to be a bit sleeper. If I could I'd have made the red trim along the car black, even though its gorgeous, to take away the one 'look at me' feature.
-As I live in Blacksburg VA, very random weather, often crappy, and this has Summer tires. I have to look into what to do when the snow returns. Maybe a second set of wheels, maybe just all seasons on these wheels. I'm assuming if I dig through this forum there will be lots of good info.

Thanks All!
welcome to the club. I am with you that I bought this car so that I would not have to mod it to have fun. I never feel short on power and its awesome minimal turbo lag and if you are happy in ECO then you will love sport and N. For wheels I would say find a set of 18s for all season or winters! Lots of resources on this forum! hit me up if you have any questions

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I find it very interesting that the Cayman gets mentioned quite frequently around here. Even I am considering one in the near future. Maybe that says alot about our cars. Anyways, I'm glad you were able to get out of your boring car. Cheers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum! I find it very interesting that the Cayman gets mentioned quite frequently around here. Even I am considering one in the near future. Maybe that says alot about our cars. Anyways, I'm glad you were able to get out of your boring car. Cheers!
Thanks for the welcome. My 'dream car' is a 911, We had a 76' 911S (bought in 85) and then an 85' 911SC when i was a kid.. However.. the first 911, my dad paid 7000.. which is $17000 today. I'm sure if I could have bought a 9 yr old 911 for $17000, I'd be driving it right now. So the Cayman became the go to, because I like small cars and it 'started' at 60k. little did I know every single desirable feature, including safety stuff, would tack on more and more $.. By the time I saw the price, and test drove a Miata (I think the Cayman has a BIT more room.. but not a ton).. I knew I might not even like it, and so between that thought and the daunting task of finding something very fun for a price that's not insanity.. it was a short hop to the Veloster N.

The obvious crossover between Veloster N and Cayman for me is I just want something not huge, with a lot of torque, that's just FUN. And of course if you like manual transmission, you have like... what 12 cars left to choose from in the US?

Manual transmission - the new 'The Club'

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OH!!. If I do get wheels. I want something that looks kinda like 80's Fuchs wheels.. Black in the middle, 5 spoke. Silver rim. hard to find. But i have time. when these tires are worn down is when to pounce.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
18" wheels with Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 for the colder months, very pleased with them through the multiple inches we got this past winter.
I had previously thought continentals were not great, but i have heard REALLY good things about them lately. And TBH paying for pirelli's or michelins hurts my feelings. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had previously thought continentals were not great, but i have heard REALLY good things about them lately. And TBH paying for pirelli's or michelins hurts my feelings. ;)
Continental may have other inferior products but the DWS 06 is an awesome all season option to consider. I believe they actually just updated the compound and called it the DWS06 "Plus". We have relatively similar climate so I'd stay away from dedicated winter tires.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Continental may have other inferior products but the DWS 06 is an awesome all season option to consider. I believe they actually just updated the compound and called it the DWS06 "Plus". We have relatively similar climate so I'd stay away from dedicated winter tires.
I've bought several pairs of Continental DWS06s and they are really good "all season" tires. Very good in the wet, but the traction does suffer a bit over a dedicated ultra high performance summer tire. They will squeak you through in light snow as well, but probably not if you get a lot of snow. Wear seems to be pretty even from my experience as well.

-Sam

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW i didn't intend to dis the tires. Like i said i have heard good things about them the last few years!

Also yea. the climate here.. I suspect I'm going to be sliding on these summer tires. i feel like it rains 150 days out of a year.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
305 Posts
I have 18" wheels with all seasons on order. I had to keep my VN up on jack stands for over three months.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Hope you have fun here.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
276 Posts

Thanks All!
Welcome to the club brother. You will love the car! Out of the box, as is, it is hard to beat for what we pay for it.

-JE

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
75 Posts
Welcome to the group, I have a 21 DCT and I am in love with it. I have been a 3 pedal guy but I decided I would appreciate not having to pedal in traffic. I think you are correct about not having to mod the veloster. The only thing I have done is tint the windows and I did put a catch can on the pcv side. I also got the tork motorsports lower control arm stiffners. I am going to be getting the 18s vs the 19s to be able to drive more comfortably.

·
Premium Member
2021 Veloster N DCT Performance Blue
28 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the club, if belatedly on my part. Gotta dig someone who remembers and loves the old Fuchs.

Are you sure 500’ is enough on the yacht?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Wheels! I cannot find any pix of the 85 with black fuchs with bare metal rim. Although the looks of the stock wheels on this Veloster N are really growing on me!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts