Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try my best to give an adequate review of the wheels and tires I purchased in the hopes I can help others. Or at least, help them be more informed based upon my experience.

I recently went from the stock wheels and tires to wheels that are 18x8.5+38. I knew I didnt want to change the steering geometry that much, but I also wanted wheels no one else had. The questions was form vs function. And, since I do not race or track the car - aesthetics won out.

Here are my thoughts for those of you thinking of going +40 or under. I will be honest with you - it changes the steering a lot. It does not steer like stock anymore. It just feels rougher, more eager to be naughty, and more inconsistent. From a predictability standpoint it is definitely not as good as stock.

However - if you want a car that YOU HAVE TO DRIVE MORE and that requires more user input and adjustments then you may like it. I personally do not mind it and for me it makes it more fun when getting on it. Torque steer is not a lot worse but it is worse. However, nothing like I have had in other cars.

The worse part is daily traffic under 40mph. That is where I would want to chill and not do much work, but, the dog comes with the fleas. With this new set up - you will constantly be monitoring the car. I also think if it came like it is from factory as I have it now it would not be a problem. But, if you have driven the car in stock form then you also have been spoiled and you will tell a difference.

And, if you are thinking of lowering you car with this offset, forget it. You will need camber bolts or camber mounts. The only way it would work is if you went with a 245/35/18 tire because that lowers the circumference enough to still use H&R springs or Ark or Whiteline. However, a 235/40, 235/45, or 245/40 tire is out of the equation.

Before I review the tires I will say that the stock tires are amazing. I had no issues with them other than comfort but what can we expect w/ a 35 aspect ratio?

For tires I went with Yokohama Advan Apex v601 in 245/40/18. They are amazing. Insane dry grip and handling. I can tell they made these tires w/ a bias towards dry handling and braking and at the expense of wet handling and wet braking. They are average in the wet, but in the dry - I think better than PS4S.

I do not have a rear motor mount and I always get on it in first gear from the same spot in the same way. I always had wheel hop and these tires have eliminated it. They hook up that well. I couldn't believe it.

I ran the tires at 42psi at first and they were stiffer than the stock tires w/ a 35 aspect ratio. I couldnt believe they were so stiff for an aspect ratio of 40. In comfort mode felt like the car was in N mode.

I have played with various pressure setting and I am at 36 front now and 34 rear. It is ideal. They heat up to 38/36 and the ride is now way more comfortable than before. That 4psi difference is not a linear equation. It is way more soft and smooth than stock. The comfort setting now is better than with the stock Pirelli's.

In retrospect I should of just ordered 19 inch wheels and mounted them to stock tires and stuck with an offset +40 or over with ideal being +45 or over. The following year I should of got new tires once stock tires were completely used up.

I really liked the Konig Oversteer and Freeform but I didnt want to be like everyone else and I wanted to be original. Lesson learned.

I like my wheels and I love my tires but I dont love my wheels so much on my car at the expense of the steering changes. That is the hard part of buying wheels - you never know what they will look like until they are on. I thought they would of looked amazing - and I think they look good. I dont think they look any better on the car than the Konig's I mentioned.

I hope this helps.

Peace,
-JE

·
Registered
113 Posts
I want to try my best to give an adequate review of the wheels and tires I purchased in the hopes I can help others. Or at least, help them be more informed based upon my experience.

I recently went from the stock wheels and tires to wheels that are 18x8.5+38. I knew I didnt want to change the steering geometry that much, but I also wanted wheels no one else had. The questions was form vs function. And, since I do not race or track the car - aesthetics won out.

Here are my thoughts for those of you thinking of going +40 or under. I will be honest with you - it changes the steering a lot. It does not steer like stock anymore. It just feels rougher, more eager to be naughty, and more inconsistent. From a predictability standpoint it is definitely not as good as stock.

However - if you want a car that YOU HAVE TO DRIVE MORE and that requires more user input and adjustments then you may like it. I personally do not mind it and for me it makes it more fun when getting on it. Torque steer is not a lot worse but it is worse. However, nothing like I have had in other cars.

The worse part is daily traffic under 40mph. That is where I would want to chill and not do much work, but, the dog comes with the fleas. With this new set up - you will constantly be monitoring the car. I also think if it came like it is from factory as I have it now it would not be a problem. But, if you have driven the car in stock form then you also have been spoiled and you will tell a difference.

And, if you are thinking of lowering you car with this offset, forget it. You will need camber bolts or camber mounts. The only way it would work is if you went with a 245/35/18 tire because that lowers the circumference enough to still use H&R springs or Ark or Whiteline. However, a 235/40, 235/45, or 245/40 tire is out of the equation.

Before I review the tires I will say that the stock tires are amazing. I had no issues with them other than comfort but what can we expect w/ a 35 aspect ratio?

For tires I went with Yokohama Advan Apex v601 in 245/40/18. They are amazing. Insane dry grip and handling. I can tell they made these tires w/ a bias towards dry handling and braking and at the expense of wet handling and wet braking. They are average in the wet, but in the dry - I think better than PS4S.

I do not have a rear motor mount and I always get on it in first gear from the same spot in the same way. I always had wheel hop and these tires have eliminated it. They hook up that well. I couldn't believe it.

I ran the tires at 42psi at first and they were stiffer than the stock tires w/ a 35 aspect ratio. I couldnt believe they were so stiff for an aspect ratio of 40. In comfort mode felt like the car was in N mode.

I have played with various pressure setting and I am at 36 front now and 34 rear. It is ideal. They heat up to 38/36 and the ride is now way more comfortable than before. That 4psi difference is not a linear equation. It is way more soft and smooth than stock. The comfort setting now is better than with the stock Pirelli's.

In retrospect I should of just ordered 19 inch wheels and mounted them to stock tires and stuck with an offset +40 or over with ideal being +45 or over. The following year I should of got new tires once stock tires were completely used up.

I really liked the Konig Oversteer and Freeform but I didnt want to be like everyone else and I wanted to be original. Lesson learned.

I like my wheels and I love my tires but I dont love my wheels so much on my car at the expense of the steering changes. That is the hard part of buying wheels - you never know what they will look like until they are on. I thought they would of looked amazing - and I think they look good. I dont think they look any better on the car than the Konig's I mentioned. View attachment 4249 View attachment 4250 View attachment 4251

I hope this helps.

Peace,
-JE
Great write up and beautiful wheels. I appreciate your honesty regarding driveability because that's something I don't want to sacrifice, though those admittedly look amazing.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great write up and beautiful wheels. I appreciate your honesty regarding driveability because that's something I don't want to sacrifice, though those admittedly look amazing.
Thank you my friend. I appreciate the compliment. I think proper expectations is of utmost importance.

-JE

·
Registered
177 Posts
I echo this statement. I have had significant change to the steering since going 18x8 +35. I advice against this set up unless you dont care about the steering changes. I look forward to getting my stocks back on after the cold season. Thank you for sharing this story and helping other users! This is why I love this forum! Wheels look fantastic by the way but I agree with you the offset throws off the steering a lot. Any improvements from weight reduction are lost in steering characteristics

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I echo this statement. I have had significant change to the steering since going 18x8 +35. I advice against this set up unless you dont care about the steering changes. I look forward to getting my stocks back on after the cold season. Thank you for sharing this story and helping other users! This is why I love this forum! Wheels look fantastic by the way but I agree with you the offset throws off the steering a lot. Any improvements from weight reduction are lost in steering characteristics
Agree. Thank you. You won’t fall asleep at the wheel!!!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
They look great!! You say if you were to do it again you would just go with a 19” wheel with the stock tires. Is that because you prefer the way the bigger wheels look on the car? Was the added comfort with the bigger sidewall and weight savings on the smaller wheels not worth it? Just wondering why if you were to hit the reset button it would be for the 19”s, but not 18”s just with a more appropriate offset.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They look great!! You say if you were to do it again you would just go with a 19” wheel with the stock tires. Is that because you prefer the way the bigger wheels look on the car? Was the added comfort with the bigger sidewall and weight savings on the smaller wheels not worth it? Just wondering why if you were to hit the reset button it would be for the 19”s, but not 18”s just with a more appropriate offset.
Great questions and I realize I left that part unclear. I do like the way bigger wheels look. The added sidewall is worth it but you can also fit a 235/40/19 on our car. So you can have a 40 sidewall with 18's or 19's. The 19's alone on stock would of been to save money and use what the car came with.

The added comfort from sidewall and weight savings is negated by the new drivers adjustments and steering geometry changes from offset.

Make sense?

-JE

·
Registered
113 Posts
The added comfort from sidewall and weight savings is negated by the new drivers adjustments and steering geometry changes from offset.
I’m not understanding this part. What does comfort have to do with steering? I mean like going over bumps and what not with a bigger sidewall is not better? I know lighter wheels don’t make a HUGE difference but the lighter rotational mass should help improve acceleration a bit. I’m looking at wheels that are 10 pounds lighter per corner. That should make a difference from what I’ve read. Also not sure if the 1 inch smaller 18”diameter tire but a larger side wall would be heavier, lighter, or the same.

I really do appreciate the back and forth with you. I love learning about the nitty gritty that helps me be better informed.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m not understanding this part. What does comfort have to do with steering? I mean like going over bumps and what not with a bigger sidewall is not better? I know lighter wheels don’t make a HUGE difference but the lighter rotational mass should help improve acceleration a bit. I’m looking at wheels that are 10 pounds lighter per corner. That should make a difference from what I’ve read. Also not sure if the 1 inch smaller 18”diameter tire but a larger side wall would be heavier, lighter, or the same.

I really do appreciate the back and forth with you. I love learning about the nitty gritty that helps me be better informed.
Ok. I am obviously am not speaking clearly. Forgive me. I will try again. I am not trying to say comfort and steering are correlated.

I am saying a bigger sidewall will help a more comfy ride along with running less tire pressure for optimal benefits. Those also have tradeoffs in terms of responsiveness. You can go with a 235/40/18 or 235/40/19 and run less tire pressure and have a completely diff comfort experience. The wheel diameter is less relative to comfort, and the sidewall is the main factor.

I am also saying that my current set up is faster than the old one because the tires are wider (245 vs 235 stock) and the new yokohama tires on the car grip better. That is also due to less tire pressure as well. I am also saying that my current setup is quicker because i shaved 5lb per corner and that is noticeable over the whole car.

From all the rims I have looked at there seems to be a 1-2 lb difference in the same wheels from an 18 to 19. My wheels are 22lb but in 19 they are 23 lbs.

My tires are 24 lbs I think but in a 19 would of been 26 I believe. So, normally you are gaining 1-2lbs per tire and also per wheel when going from 18 to 19.

If you go 10lbs lighter per corner that would be insane. Huge noticeable diff and I think u should do that!

Lastly, I am saying that I am not enjoying the full benefit from better tires and lighter wheels because my setup has a diff offset and the added effort and changes in steering are kind of a bummer.

I would love my setup if it was 18x8.5+45 with a 245/40/18 or a 19x8+45 with a 235/40/19. You get the extra comfort but are closer to factory steering geometry based on the offset of the wheel.

Hope this helps. I also am no expert. I can only tell you what I feel.

-JE

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ok. I am obviously am not speaking clearly. Forgive me. I will try again. I am not trying to say comfort and steering are correlated.

I am saying a bigger sidewall will help a more comfy ride along with running less tire pressure for optimal benefits. Those also have tradeoffs in terms of responsiveness. You can go with a 235/40/18 or 235/40/19 and run less tire pressure and have a completely diff comfort experience. The wheel diameter is less relative to comfort, and the sidewall is the main factor.

I am also saying that my current set up is faster than the old one because the tires are wider (245 vs 235 stock) and the new yokohama tires on the car grip better. That is also due to less tire pressure as well. I am also saying that my current setup is quicker because i shaved 5lb per corner and that is noticeable over the whole car.

From all the rims I have looked at there seems to be a 1-2 lb difference in the same wheels from an 18 to 19. My wheels are 22lb but in 19 they are 23 lbs.

My tires are 24 lbs I think but in a 19 would of been 26 I believe. So, normally you are gaining 1-2lbs per tire and also per wheel when going from 18 to 19.

If you go 10lbs lighter per corner that would be insane. Huge noticeable diff and I think u should do that!

Lastly, I am saying that I am not enjoying the full benefit from better tires and lighter wheels because my setup has a diff offset and the added effort and changes in steering are kind of a bummer.

I would love my setup if it was 18x8.5+45 with a 245/40/18 or a 19x8+45 with a 235/40/19. You get the extra comfort but are closer to factory steering geometry based on the offset of the wheel.

Hope this helps. I also am no expert. I can only tell you what I feel.

-JE
BASE. I also think its is important to know that when dropping to 18 and going with the available offsets in most wheels (35-45) range you are going to notice a significant change in the feel of the car specifically in the steering. I have noticed since changing to 18x8 +35 that my car feels a lot different, it needs me to correct it more going straight and in turns it almost like its on skates when it felt like skis on the stock 19ins. Not sure if that makes sense but I do not love the change. Be aware I do not have a high performance tire (Conti ProContacts SSRs 225/45) but I echo ProjectVelo in that the weight savings and ride quality improvements are offset my the impact on the steering when I dropped to 18 wheels and honestly I would rather have a lesser quality ride and better steering/handling feel. I do like my bigger sidewalls in the 18s cause it is a bit smoother ride but if you are looking for wheels whether 18/19 my suggestion is to seek out as close to +55 (stock offest) as possible so you can enjoy the car as Albert intended. Lots of nitty gritty in here but wanted to throw my two cents in here

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BASE. I also think its is important to know that when dropping to 18 and going with the available offsets in most wheels (35-45) range you are going to notice a significant change in the feel of the car specifically in the steering. I have noticed since changing to 18x8 +35 that my car feels a lot different, it needs me to correct it more going straight and in turns it almost like its on skates when it felt like skis on the stock 19ins. Not sure if that makes sense but I do not love the change. Be aware I do not have a high performance tire (Conti ProContacts SSRs 225/45) but I echo ProjectVelo in that the weight savings and ride quality improvements are offset my the impact on the steering when I dropped to 18 wheels and honestly I would rather have a lesser quality ride and better steering/handling feel. I do like my bigger sidewalls in the 18s cause it is a bit smoother ride but if you are looking for wheels whether 18/19 my suggestion is to seek out as close to +55 (stock offest) as possible so you can enjoy the car as Albert intended. Lots of nitty gritty in here but wanted to throw my two cents in here
I don’t think the driving changes would be near as severe in a +45 or +43. The difference percentage wise from +55 to (+35) is over a %36 change as compared to +55 to (+45) is 18% from stock.

It would be interesting to try and drive @bjbailer car. His offset is more than mine but he retained stock rim width and is closer to the strut. Mine is 10mm off the strut being an 8.5 rim and almost same offset. I suspect mine drives a little diff than his and more unpredictable.

@BaseMentality I still think if you get an 18x8 in a +45 and it shaves ten pounds per corner you will be thrilled and elated. I think it would be hell of a driving experience. I think the car would come alive more and it wouldn’t be near as unpredictable as mine and still be close to factory steering.

If i did it again I would go with a +45 offset wheel.

-JE

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don’t think the driving changes would be near as severe in a +45 or +43. The difference percentage wise from +55 to (+35) is over a %36 change as compared to +55 to (+45) is 18% from stock.

It would be interesting to try and drive @bjbailer car. His offset is more than mine but he retained stock rim width and is closer to the strut. Mine is 10mm off the strut being an 8.5 rim and almost same offset. I suspect mine drives a little diff than his and more unpredictable.

@BaseMentality I still think if you get an 18x8 in a +45 and it shaves ten pounds per corner you will be thrilled and elated. I think it would be hell of a driving experience. I think the car would come alive more and it wouldn’t be near as unpredictable as mine and still be close to factory steering.

If i did it again I would go with a +45 offset wheel.

-JE
We can swap anytime!!! @ProjectVeloN ! i agree that its likely a much different feel with the width and offset changes either way it still feels amazing! saving 10 lbs a wheel is amazing @BaseMentality just check on your tire weight because I think the motegi traklites are the lightest wheel you can snag at around 19lbs each which will save you about 11 per on the rim but be aware that the PZeros come in around 21 - 22lbs a tire which is a lot lighter than many tires particularly if you are increasing your side wall. If you get a chance make sure to post your final set up and if you get a chance to weigh them wheel, tpms and tire on! oh grab wheel centric hubs off amazon they are cheap there...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Should I get new tpms sensors for the new wheels? I shouldn’t have to though right?
If you go with 19 in wheels and ame tires you can keep current sensors. If you go down to 18’s and get new tires you can either remove Tpms from old ones and install those on new tires or sell the 19’s wheels and tires w Tpms and then get new ones.
I sold my old wheels and tires w sensors and then when I got new wheels and tires I had new Tpms installed before they were shipped.
-Je

·
Registered
177 Posts
Should I get new tpms sensors for the new wheels? I shouldn’t have to though right?
check out my post about switching to 18s and I include some info about TPMS. You absolutely should buy them and you can swap from stock19s to 18s like @ProjectVeloN said but then you have to pay someone to remove them, deflate your tires on your stocks and the labor and such, who knows if a shop would even do it. I suppose you could do it yourself if you had all the equipment. But my suggestion is just eat the cost and have the peace of mind to just be able to swap back to your stocks as needed. The TPMS are also the Air Stems on the wheels so you cant really avoid them easily. If you plan on selling the stock set up someone will likely want them with the TPMS it would likely make selling the stock wheels much easier. Just read my section about my TPMS experience on this here . If you get your wheels thru Tirerack or Fitment they will install for your and then ship. The sensors shouldn't need any programing like magic after driving about 100 miles they just start detecting pressure after putting your wheels on. If you have specific questions feel free to DM me but overall you shouldn't skip these.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts