Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm getting extremely close to having enough saved up to pull the trigger on a VN (should I decide on it)- but wanted to ask if you bought new do you have any regrets/reservations? Yes you get the full Hyundai warranty but I know depreciation on the N has been bad- therefore for those of you who bought used, you definitely got the benefit on that end. Also, has anyone bought online utilizing (warning: marketing ahead) Hyundai's "Shopper Assurance"? Used N's are really hard to come by in my area, so I just wanted to consider all my options. In addition, how have dealer markups gone (is it still really bad? How does that play into buying online lol).

Feel free to make fun of me for the noob questions- it's totally fine! haha

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
276 Posts
Hi All,

I'm getting extremely close to having enough saved up to pull the trigger on a VN (should I decide on it)- but wanted to ask if you bought new do you have any regrets/reservations? Yes you get the full Hyundai warranty but I know depreciation on the N has been bad- therefore for those of you who bought used, you definitely got the benefit on that end. Also, has anyone bought online utilizing (warning: marketing ahead) Hyundai's "Shopper Assurance"? Used N's are really hard to come by in my area, so I just wanted to consider all my options. In addition, how have dealer markups gone (is it still really bad? How does that play into buying online lol).

Feel free to make fun of me for the noob questions- it's totally fine! haha

Thanks!
Hey brother thanks for the post. You can’t go wrong w the N WHETHER NEW OR USED. It’s about what you can afford.

My wife and I decided that I could get a new one and spend no money on modding it or buy used and the difference we saved use to mod it.

I chose used cause it was 10k less than new and only had one previous owner and only 10k miles driven on it in 18 months of ownership.

I would recommend getting the performance package because of the variable exhaust and e-lsd. This things rips in corners.

GOOD Luck my friend,

-JE

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with Used if it is from a trust worthy dealer or carmax or carvana. i see some used N's on carvana and carmax for $27K-$28K with under 10,000 miles. from carvana you can even get their add-on warranty for $25bucks a month extra, and i've heard the warranty is pretty good too. but that is if you want stick.
If you are searching for a DCT then you'll have to get it new but in my area (Socal) the dealers are asking close to $37K. $2500 mark up seems to be the normal.
thats almost a $10K savings if you get a low mileage used N.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I bought new but honestly if I was in your position I would try to get a single owner used car for the reasons you mention. My biggest concern would be the prior owner wrecking the clutch but that's not even a warranty item anyway. If you can find one on carmax or carvana you'll have that 7 day return period where you can really check the car out and put it through the paces. I actually used CarMax's return policy and they really were zero hassle. Got a check for the full amount back in the mail.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
305 Posts
Used is by far the smartest money wise, but I don't trust other people to do proper maintenance. My son in laws Elantra Coupe has a problem with one of the pistons...previous owner did not keep up with oil changes. I would buy a used car from my brother because he is a stickler for maintenance like I am, but probably nobody else unless I knew them personally. I keep my cars north of 100k so I always get my money's worth anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I notice the VN's on Carvana get jumped on really fast- or they're just rare to see now. I want a stick for sure and I really like the 2021 updates- Not sure if there are other unadvertised revisions Hyundai has done on the internals/possible common issues on the 2019-2020 MY's?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ask yourself is this a car I plan to hang on to for a long time or am I the type of person that needs a different car every 2-3 years. A new car is likely the crappiest investment you can make if you're actually counting on a real return unless you can spring for a rare exoticar/supercar. I did buy my VN new but I'm going to hang onto it until the wheels fall off and prior to buying it I paid off any unsecured debt I had so it was my reward. Every other car I purchased, that was my personal car, I bought used. if you can see yourself getting rid of it in a few short years go used. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ask yourself is this a car I plan to hang on to for a long time or am I the type of person that needs a different car every 2-3 years. A new car is likely the crappiest investment you can make if you're actually counting on a real return unless you can spring for a rare exoticar/supercar. I did buy my VN new but I'm going to hang onto it until the wheels fall off and prior to buying it I paid off any unsecured debt I had so it was my reward. Every other car I purchased, that was my personal car, I bought used. if you can see yourself getting rid of it in a few short years go used. Just my $0.02
Yes, this is my dream car =)
I will be trading in/selling my current car (paid off)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts