Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
In the market
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Indiana! I've reached the point in my life where I can finally afford a "fun" car. I've always loved the Subaru WRX / STI and started my search there however the EJ25 engine in the STI is very long in the tooth and the non-STI WRX just doesn't captivate me the way the STI does so I've broadened my search. I wouldn't mind a FiST, FoST, or Focus RS but I keep my cars for a long time and don't want to buy into a dead model. That really leaves just the GTI / Golf R, Civic SI / Type R and this crazy 3-door Hyundai that I just can't ignore.

Long story short - I think I've fallen for the VN! I know I'd be happy with a Golf but they just seem a little to jack of all trades master of none. I've driven a Civic SI and they are OK but remind me too much of the run of the mill Civics and Accords I've driven for the past 20 years... and the Type R well, I'm over 40 and I just can't do it!

I love everything about the VN (except that you can't get heated seats and steering wheel in the states - $#!%) and I LOVE the Performance Blue color. Unfortunately it looks like pretty much all the Performance Blue 2020 models with Performance Package are gone and dealers seem to only be getting DCTs in the 2021's and I want a 6-speed. I like the new seats and upgraded electronics in the 2021's (I'm looking at you blind spot monitoring) but don't think they are worth $2-6k more than a 2020 to me. I'd be perfectly fine with a low milage used VN but almost doesn't seem worth buying used when you sacrifice so much warranty! Do Certified Pre-owned Hyundai's retain the full warranty?

If I could find a 2020 VN PP in blue for a reasonable price I think I'd pull the trigger right away - anyone here seen one lurking anywhere?

Do you guys think the 2020 updates (less the DCT which I'm not interested in) are worth the bump in MSRP?
My dealer is offering double warranty in addition to the 3 years of service so that is something to seriously consider. There isn't a blue 2021 6-speed within 250 miles so they would need to trade or order one for me. I really liked the idea of a true sports car under 30k but that ship sailed in 2021...

I don't really know anything about my local dealer but they have pretty good ratings / reviews so that's something. I've never owned a new car and prefer to work on my cars myself when possible. Also my wife's family owns a shop so anything I don't want to do myself I take to them. Are any of you doing your own maintenance (oil, filters, brakes, etc.) during the warranty period and how do the dealers take to that? I suppose I could watch the dealer like a hawk for 3 years and then take over myself.

Really hoping that the stars align and I can find the right VN for me. I've watched about every YouTube video and lurked though a good bit of this forum. You guys seem like a great community! Greetings and thanks in advance for any advise.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know if you get a used VN from Carmax or Carvana the original Hyundai warranty carries over (what ever is left of it).
and unless you need the tech safety stuff that is new with the 2021, just get a Used VN.
I know the new seats are nice but i never look at my 2020 and think i need new seats. besides if you get a used VN for $28000 you will have saved $7000 bucks for some new bride or recaro seats.
Besides the new seats the Manual is the same car since 2019 and thats a good thing!

·
Registered
In the market
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hyundai's site states "Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5-Year/60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

That is a pretty significant reduction from the 10-year/100,000-Mile powertrain warranty though I think I saw somewhere that certified pre-owned vehicles retain the remainder of the 10-year/100,000-Mile powertrain warranty but can't seem to confirm that information.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Veloster N DCT
12 Posts
There is a blue 2020 veloster N for sale at Gary Rome Hyundai in MA right now. It’s brand new as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
You will love it! Do it!!!!

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
In the market
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a blue 2020 veloster N for sale at Gary Rome Hyundai in MA right now. It’s brand new as well.
I found it but looks like they still have it listed for MSRP - guess I should call them up and see what they can do. I saw a couple dealers had a $4k reduction on 2020's. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat!

Thanks for pointing it out!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I found it but looks like they still have it listed for MSRP - guess I should call them up and see what they can do. I saw a couple dealers had a $4k reduction on 2020's. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat!

Thanks for pointing it out!!!
Purchased my 2020 w/PP a few months ago for $27k + taxes, fees, etc. If it’s been sitting in their lot for that long they’re likely to make you a good deal. Can’t hurt to make them an offer!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Current owner of a '20 PP, definitely recommend the car. The safety equipment on the '21 would be nice as it makes a not-insignificant insurance difference here in NC. Also, not sure what part of IN you're in, but I grew up near South Bend and wouldn't want to try driving this car there on stock tires between Thanksgiving and late March. Personally, I've really enjoyed the mechanical connection of the manual but I know the resale value of the DCT will be better. Plus the DCT uses dual disc clutches as opposed to the manual's single disc, making powershifting much safer for the system if you're interested in tracking the car.

Speaking of tracking the car, the Tire Rack facility outside South Bend has a cool test track that they used to have open to the public occasionally through the SCCA up there. I don't know if that's still the case but might be worth looking into if you're local!

·
Registered
In the market
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree the safety equipment on the '21 would be nice but I've not had it for the past 25 years so i'm sure I'll get by. Don't think it will make a difference on my insurance either here in Indiana. That and my agent is a relative so I'm well taken care of!

I do plan to daily drive the car (though we have F150 with all wheel drive for when it's really bad) so I would either put all season tires on it or more likely pick up a set of 18" wheels and some snow tires for Thanksgiving through April. I plan to keep the car long term so not hugely concerned about resale (otherwise I'd probably look closer at a WRX/STI or a GTI). I know the DCT is better on paper but both the wife and I prefer a manual and this is supposed to be a FUN car!

I'm over in Fort Wayne but get up to the South Bend area every now and then. Never been on a track on 4 wheels and don't really have the bug right now but who knows maybe I will if I get a VN...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree the safety equipment on the '21 would be nice but I've not had it for the past 25 years so i'm sure I'll get by. Don't think it will make a difference on my insurance either here in Indiana. That and my agent is a relative so I'm well taken care of!

I do plan to daily drive the car (though we have F150 with all wheel drive for when it's really bad) so I would either put all season tires on it or more likely pick up a set of 18" wheels and some snow tires for Thanksgiving through April. I plan to keep the car long term so not hugely concerned about resale (otherwise I'd probably look closer at a WRX/STI or a GTI). I know the DCT is better on paper but both the wife and I prefer a manual and this is supposed to be a FUN car!

I'm over in Fort Wayne but get up to the South Bend area every now and then. Never been on a track on 4 wheels and don't really have the bug right now but who knows maybe I will if I get a VN...
Sounds like you're in the market for the right car then. The bug gets pretty strong the first time you shift from 2nd to 3rd around 6k with the exhaust open. These cars love being driven hard.

I got out the door for just over $29k new in late September after speaking to basically every Hyundai dealer in the Charlotte area. I think it's more than reasonable to expect you could do at least a little better than that now for a new '20 on a dealer's lot.

·
Registered
In the market
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Talked to them today and they won't budge from MSRP. Best of luck to them I guess.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Talked to them today and they won't budge from MSRP. Best of luck to them I guess.
Some dealerships are super super stubborn on these cars. I contacted one in NE that had the car listed on CarGurus for over 300 days and they also would not budge from their listed pricing. It's a nice car but some of them act like they have some rare gem you will never find anywhere else. Their loss

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Some dealerships are super super stubborn on these cars. I contacted one in NE that had the car listed on CarGurus for over 300 days and they also would not budge from their listed pricing. It's a nice car but some of them act like they have some rare gem you will never find anywhere else. Their loss.
They have to get rid of them for the 2021 versions. Most of them listed on Car Gurus are small dealerships and not syndicated with larger volume dealers.

There was a Santa Fe, NM Ford Dealership, who had some hold over 2019 Fiesta ST's and they were priced over MSRP. I believe they eventually sold them. They wouldn't budge either. They get hold back money for having them on the lot, so they eventually get their money out of them.

Find another dealership who will deal and make sure they're a volume dealership. The will be more apt to deal.

·
Registered
In the market
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They texted my again today stating "Our 2020 in Performance Blue is the only one in the country at this time" which may be true but it's not a unicorn.... I can order a 2021 with the upgraded seats and safety features for MSRP and while I don't really care all that much about the extras personally they would be nice to have and are probably worth the bump up in price. Or maybe I'll wait until this fall and try to get a discount on a 2021 when the '22's come out... I'm not a kid anymore - I can wait :)

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
46 Posts
They texted my again today stating "Our 2020 in Performance Blue is the only one in the country at this time" which may be true but it's not a unicorn.... I can order a 2021 with the upgraded seats and safety features for MSRP and while I don't really care all that much about the extras personally they would be nice to have and are probably worth the bump up in price. Or maybe I'll wait until this fall and try to get a discount on a 2021 when the '22's come out... I'm not a kid anymore - I can wait :)

I bought mine used a month ago. I went w/ a 2019 N with performance pack w/ 10k miles on it. I could of bought a new one w/ the upgrades you mentioned but I chose to save the 10K under sticker and went with used. The dealer honored it and gave me full warranty. It is also perf blue. It made more sense for me to save the 10k and customize it and make it my own.

I can tell you this - you wont regret the car new or used. They are hard to come by and dont haggle if you want it. I had already waited one year for a blue one to come available near me that I could test drive. I got mine for 23,900 out the door with free oil changes, maintenance, gap insurance, and a few other goodies.

It is insanely fun. You wont regret it new or used.

-JE

·
Registered
In the market
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought mine used a month ago...
I assume you bought a Certified Pre-Owned? That seems to be the only way to keep the remainder of the full warranty on a used Hyundai. That would be idea if I can find one!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I assume you bought a Certified Pre-Owned? That seems to be the only way to keep the remainder of the full warranty on a used Hyundai. That would be idea if I can find one!
No it wasnt. I asked them If i could get the entire warranty and they said yes and we put that in the paperwork. I still would of bought the car even without the extra 40k warranty.

·
Registered
In the market
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Curious if the additional 40k warranty is thru Hyundai or only through your dealer? I know my local dealer offers a "double powertrain" warranty so 20 years / 200k miles which seems insane but the 2nd half of that warranty is only through the dealer so if you sell the car, move away, or the dealer goes away / changes ownership the double warranty is useless. Still better than nothing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Curious if the additional 40k warranty is thru Hyundai or only through your dealer? I know my local dealer offers a "double powertrain" warranty so 20 years / 200k miles which seems insane but the 2nd half of that warranty is only through the dealer so if you sell the car, move away, or the dealer goes away / changes ownership the double warranty is useless. Still better than nothing.
Mine is thru the dealer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts