Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
OP - why are you comparing the CTR to a VN to begin with - 2 different classes of vehicle (if you ask me) - a better comparison would be a VN vs a Civic SI or the VW GTI. They are both similar in price point and both offer a blend of 'affordable' performance and practicality. For the CTR - when you add in ADM that all dealers seem to be charging or 'forced' accessory packages that dealers seem to add - the price of the CTR balloons quite fast. Right now - you can find a 2020 NEW Supra for well below MSRP, so if you are willing to go the route of the CTR - I would imagine one could then look to compare it to the leftover Supras that are on the lot - and while the Supra might be a Toyo badged BMW - that car can perform in the straights AND the twisties on the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wanna know where you can get a Veloster N for 28k out the door?! I'm looking at 32k out the door here in AZ!
HAHA - I agree - I seem to come across more VNs that are starting at $28 and I'm sure will be a little over $30k once you get the OTD price. Have you widen your search -you can always look at it this way - road trip to enjoy the vehicle and get some 'smiles per gallon' while driving. You could look into expanding your search and working it so local dealers might come down - and if not - if it's new - you can then look to have it transported to you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Weird that dealerships are still trying to get so much for the N in some parts of the country. In the Midwest you can get an N for below invoice. Low demand, my local dealer has had a white PP on the lot for almost six months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all, I'm new here. Was looking to get a type R, it's a great car. Saw the veloster N and was able to drive it twice actually. It's a fantastic little car, no one can argue that.

Here's my quick comparison vs type R. The way I saw it, the N only has two advantages:
-Veloster N sounds way better
-Veloster N customizability for drive settings is better

and...that's where the advantages end. Type R has many advantages including
-Type R has more room, and is more practical with 4 doors
-Type R is faster and handles better
-Interior is way better compare to the black hard plastic interior of veloster N
-shifter on veloster N is good, but type R is just the best
-more comfortable as a daily driver

So it's pretty clear that type R is the overall better car. I'm able to get a brand new veloster N with PP for $28000 out the door. 2019 Type R will cost me about 38000 out the door, and a 2020 is costing me 41,000 out the door. There is a $13,000 price difference vs 2020 type R and $10000 for 2019 type R. So it appears the veloster N is 13,000 less...but that's not the full story.

Depreciation on hyundai is HUGE, I decided to go to dealers to get trade in prices. For a 2019 veloster N with 15,000 miles I got a trade in value of $19000-2000 depending on a dealer I went to. For a 2019 Type R with 15,000 miles I'm getting a $32-34,000 trade in! That means over a year I lose about $10000 on veloster N vs just $5000 on the type R. This here is a big difference and you end up ahead financially getting the type R.

So now price cannot be a reason to get the Veloster N. What reason is there left to get the veloster N over the type R assuming you like the looks of both equally? If the type R didn't exist, veloster would be the way to go. If the depreciation wasn't that steep I'd still take the veloster N. But at this point I don't see how the veloster N can survive.
The N is more fun to drive! Tried both and the N rules.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was in the same boat. I wanted out of my Fiesta ST and into a CTR. I did a lot of soul searching and research about the CTR, VN, Miata RF, and a Camaro 1LE. I really wanted the CTR but once I drove the VN, I couldn't justify the price difference. When it came down to it, I was trying to buy one to "have a Type R". The resale value is higher on the CTR because they are in demand, they have all this hype around them but don't really live up to it. My co worker has only sat in my car and says he likes everything about the VN more except the seats, and he owns a 2021 CTR. I also got a screaming deal on my VN and could not get anything close with a CTR, every dealer here has them marked up 2-10k, and none will let you test drive. Its a Civic not a Lamborghini, and if I can't get a test drive, I'm not buying. That being said I don't feel like I settled for the VN, I love it so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So now price cannot be a reason to get the Veloster N.
Resale value only matters if you're trading in your vehicle every few years with low mileage. I would bet you that with the Velosters better powertrain warranty, that by the time they are close to 100K miles, the values would be about the same for trade-in, making that resale recoup value moot. My biggest issue w/ the Type R is more a styling issue, whereas I think the Veloster is attractive. From the back it kind of reminds me of a car version of a Korean turtle ship.

Also, you can always go used, which is what I'm planning to do, although the used market I'm noticing is a bit inflated right now due to COVID limitations on new inventory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just think they are 2 different types of vehicles. I mean, the CTR is basically a $40k vehicle and the VN N is $30k - not really a fair comparison. Also I think a lot of things depend on whether or not you want a 4door or okay with a 3 door and don't mind the small backseat. For performance - again depends on what you want - I think the CTR is a better vehicle but at $40k - it opens things up to a lot of other cars whereas the VN N is $30k and its hard to find a lot of things within that price range that will provide the versatility of a hatch and the performance that is provides. To me you compare the VN N to the GTI, Civic SI, used Focus R and maybe the used Golf R as well but to compare a new VN N against a new CTR - not really a fair fight in my mind.

Before anyone asks reason why I say the CTR is a $40k vehicle is that you can't seem to find a new one without markup and price is steadily heading toward that $40k without markup.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts