Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all, I'm new here. Was looking to get a type R, it's a great car. Saw the veloster N and was able to drive it twice actually. It's a fantastic little car, no one can argue that.

Here's my quick comparison vs type R. The way I saw it, the N only has two advantages:
-Veloster N sounds way better
-Veloster N customizability for drive settings is better

and...that's where the advantages end. Type R has many advantages including
-Type R has more room, and is more practical with 4 doors
-Type R is faster and handles better
-Interior is way better compare to the black hard plastic interior of veloster N
-shifter on veloster N is good, but type R is just the best
-more comfortable as a daily driver

So it's pretty clear that type R is the overall better car. I'm able to get a brand new veloster N with PP for $28000 out the door. 2019 Type R will cost me about 38000 out the door, and a 2020 is costing me 41,000 out the door. There is a $13,000 price difference vs 2020 type R and $10000 for 2019 type R. So it appears the veloster N is 13,000 less...but that's not the full story.

Depreciation on hyundai is HUGE, I decided to go to dealers to get trade in prices. For a 2019 veloster N with 15,000 miles I got a trade in value of $19000-2000 depending on a dealer I went to. For a 2019 Type R with 15,000 miles I'm getting a $32-34,000 trade in! That means over a year I lose about $10000 on veloster N vs just $5000 on the type R. This here is a big difference and you end up ahead financially getting the type R.

So now price cannot be a reason to get the Veloster N. What reason is there left to get the veloster N over the type R assuming you like the looks of both equally? If the type R didn't exist, veloster would be the way to go. If the depreciation wasn't that steep I'd still take the veloster N. But at this point I don't see how the veloster N can survive.
Your financial analysis is really only valid if you are going to resell it in a given period. Many of us love our VN's and are planning to keep them much longer. It's like all the money you may have lost on your investments as of late, it's only on paper until you sell. That said I test drove the CTR for 48 hours via Turo and thought it was an amazing car. A good bit better as a high-performance FWD sports car than the VN. But, not really any more fun to drive. AND, I found the VN to be a more livable daily driver for a number of reasons. For one it is a good bit SMALLER. The CTR has a much bigger outer body, for some of us that is a big negative. Another thing I could not get over was the loud engine drone in the cabin which due to the lack of settings you could not get rid of, and I had serious trouble conversing with people over Bluetooth in the CTR because of it. The CTR is a high performance scalpel for a FWD Hatch, no doubt about it. The crispy shifter, heavier clutch and incredible handling is all there, but you know what? Every time I would finish a drive in it I was quite a bit more "spent" if you will, kind of worn out from that performance and sound. With the VN, you get all the fun factor, plenty of performance without the daily driving exhaustion.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Another thing I could not get over was the loud engine drone in the cabin
HOW IS THERE A DRONE IF THE CAR SOUNDS LIKE CRAP lol that is actually sad because even with my loud ass downpipe in N mode this car does not drone. i honestly cant believe the type r drones, thats ridiculous

·
Super Moderator
881 Posts
Yup, 40K here for a Type R. Too much cash for a less reliable car. Just my opinion. And Tom, great words Bud!!!

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm a huge Honda fan and firmly believe that if it wasn't for the older Honda Civics, Acura Integra and definitely the original Volkswagen GTI front wheel drive performance car would be an oxymoron now. I was very seriously considering a Honda Civic Type R but;
  • The dealer with a straight face was trying to get a $15K markup when it came out which sent me laughing permanently even when he called me a year later to sell it at a realistic price.
  • The car is disgustingly ugly from every angle except the very front view. 1990s Honda Civics and Acura Integras look racy and classy when lowered and on good rims/tires, the new Civic Type R looks like it was modified by someone with hideous taste, not a auto manufacturer, to the point where I don't think I could be seen in it. The car's performance is unreal though.
  • The Hyundai VN, to me, is a car that is built purely for performance driving but has the practicality to be used as my daily driver at a good price. Upgraded performance tires and a few select mods that add up to less than the price difference between the Civic Type R and VN would allow driver talent to determine the faster car on a track and I'm not sure how far off they would be stock with a talented driver in the VN versus a hack in the CTR.
  • I drive the wheels off any car I get so depreciation is meaningless. I've never bought a car I didn't genuinely want and feel would last for a while.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I bought a Subaru 13 years ago and traded it for a VN, I plan to keep the VN for a decade... the depreciation on both the VN and the CTR are going to level out after more than a decade.... so that 13,000 is big money. In fact I bought two cars last year, one a classic and one the VN for the price of a CTR... I wouldn't trade BOTH cars for the CTR...

So for me the choice isn't just CTR vs VN, but CTR vs the VN AND what 13,000 can buy me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
These price quotes on a Type R just seem high to me. Last year, I purchased a brand new 2019 Type R for $34k...it’s possible to find one for under msrp. Maybe the market changed or I just got lucky....

A lot of talk regarding trading in a VN... selling privately you'll end up doing better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
These price quotes on a Type R just seem high to me. Last year, I purchased a brand new 2019 Type R for $34k...it’s possible to find one for under msrp. Maybe the market changed or I just got lucky....

A lot of talk regarding trading in a VN... selling privately you'll end up doing better.
I’m on the rennlist and bmw forum frequently to learn more about those cars because I have couple of Porsche and couple of bmw. Now I’m on this forum to learn about veloster N I recently purchased. If you have a Type R then why are you on this forum and not the Honda Type R forum. Unless you have both. It never seem to amaze me how people need to justify their purchase. There is no need to justify one’s purchase on this forum. Just go enjoy your car, whatever that may be.
Sorry, if I have offended anyone!

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have a Type R then why are you on this forum and not the Honda Type R forum. Unless you have both.
I go through cars pretty quickly. In an earlier post someone made a comment "Who is dumb enough to trade their car in after 1 year?"...that would be me . :p I actually bought the car for 34k and sold it for 33k after 4-5 months of ownership...I'm good with those numbers. I'm in TX and sold it to someone from California. Markets vary for every car and he was thrilled to find one for 33k.

I'm just in the market for another fun manual car. I've looked at the Mustang GT350, Camaro ZL1, back again at the Type R, M2 (just has a funny look to me), already had a 718 Cayman S, etc. The VN just seems like the best bang for the buck. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cars like these are not investments: they’re expenses. It’s beyond idiotic to join forums just to “challenge” people to justify one over the over. So just get whatever it is you want, if you’re even able to buy either car right now...

Also, that trade-in value on the CTR is batshit. I know of several of those cars being sold at $30K with a year or less and much less mileage on them. And even then, it was too much. Try Arizona or various areas of Texas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
718 Cayman S is quite a car. Cayman is a wonderful mid engine two seater sports car. I know many people who have gone from hot hatch to Porsche, but you are the first one I’ve seen going the other way. I don’t know if you will be satisfied with a Veloster N as a replacement. As much as I love my VN, I don’t know if I could replace my Cayman GT4 with my VN. It is odd to see someone who is all over the map in his choice of cars. My son drives a M2. He loves the VN, but I don’t think he would be willing to trade his M2 for the VN. It’s hard to believe you had all those cars. Of course, it’s easy to shut people up. Just post some pics of your previous cars. I’ll lead the way.

·
Registered
876 Posts
This forum is starting to go to crap!! Now, we've got owners flexing they're ownership testosterone!! LMAO!!😂 Seriously, grow a pair!

To the op, go buy a Honda Type R and take the garbage to the Honda Type R Forum. I really don't give a rats arse!

To @991gts are you trying to compensate for the lack of something else. LMAO 😂 Get a life man, you got way to much time on your hands and need to go back to work.😜

That's the short of it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here are some my previous cars...I'll admit it...I miss the cayman. :oops:

View attachment 2669
View attachment 2670
View attachment 2671
Nice Miami blue 718. Now I’m a believer. Guess I’m a doubting Thomas. I don’t have much seat time on the 718, but the VN and 718 are completely different cars.. It’s hard to believe that you will be content with VN after ownership of a Porsche. I‘ve had at least one Porsche for 23 years, and I can’t imagine not having one in my garage.
Going off on a tangent and contradicting myself, my VN gives me the same sensation of when I got my 993 CS in 1997. Of course 23 years is a long time ago, and my memory maybe slightly off. Lol.
In other words, I’m a huge fan of VN. This is coming from a lifelong Porsche guy.

·
Super Moderator
881 Posts
Ouch Red, just ouch! lol....

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ouch Red, just ouch! lol....

Br,

-Mike
I’m assuming your talking about my Carmine Red GT4.
It sounds like a complement. If so, thank you.
If people think that Type R or S2000 gear box are good, you should try the GT4.

·
Registered
310 Posts
S2000 is my favorite gearbox yet but I will most likely never experience the gt4 unless I get serious about finding one secondhand, and that’s unfortunately not something I like to do. All I take from this conversation is kudos to Hyundai that they created something for 30k that is mentioned in the same sentence.

·
Super Moderator
881 Posts
Tom,

Love the red GT4 but I was talking about RedVN's reply. Lol... I gotta say, I live to see them. Ha, ha...

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: MikeMr305

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tom,

Love the red GT4 but I was talking about RedVN's reply. Lol... I gotta say, I live to see them. Ha, ha...

Best regards,

-Mike
Sorry.
When you get old, the senses disappears also.
I need the COVID-19 to end so I can get off this forum and get my life back.
I bought the VN to dd, but I have no place to dd.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry.
When you get old, the senses disappears also.
I need the COVID-19 to end so I can get off this forum and get my life back.
I bought the VN to dd, but I have no place to dd.
Same. Driving around the city just isn't the same as an autox event, no matter how many times I send it around a 90 degree corner. I just want to log off all my social media platforms and go out to have fun again with fellow driving enthusiast.

For OP, if resale value matter a lot to you, go for the CTR. Hondas hold value better. Even my previous car, a 13 Civic Si, only dropped $3k after a year of ownership. My current VN dropped $5k after a year. Although value holding was definitely was very low on my list of concerns when trading in that Si as I plan on keeping the car for at least 5 years.

As for CTR cost, Cali seems to be the worse. Like before I got an N, there was a sonic grey CTR that sat on the showroom floors for 5-6 months AT MSRP. For those that don't know, sonic grey was a limited color run for 2019. And it just sat there. I have a friend working sales at that dealership and he told me one of his salesman bought it so no one really went in there to get it. Said it was like $32k out the door for that salesman. I'd be lucky enough to even talk a dealer down to $35k and even then, $30k was just my absolute limit on the next car. In fact, before the N, I had plans on just getting into a 19 Si but told myself if the N is $30k, I'd consider it. Just with the Si, I'd have that lingering feeling if I should've gotten a CTR. Didn't feel it much with the N at first but after 20 autox events, I don't feel it at all. Managed to even beat a CTR owner running BFG g-Force R1 tires in 275s while I was running 255 RE71Rs. Car can definitely throw down with the bigger boys in it's class. Pretty happy I got the N over the Si.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts