Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've complained my fair share about this car but truthfully I love it. The biggest downside is the dealers. So much so, there's a guy on reddit selling his car because the service departments are just so poorly run. I couldn't imagine having this car at 19. I wouldn't even recommend it. I would have wrecked it less than 6 months into ownership. Even now, I literally can't bring myself to not speed in this car.

As an update, my long starts have actually gotten less frequent. Now I'm just dealing with crazy torque steer and traction loss with the pirelli summer tires in the cold. But that's to be expected.

Biggest thing that's bothered me from day 1 was the driving behavior at low speeds. Granted all manuals are a bit lurchy but the N is not pleasant in parking lots and stop and go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've complained my fair share about this car but truthfully I love it. The biggest downside is the dealers. So much so, there's a guy on reddit selling his car because the service departments are just so poorly run. I couldn't imagine having this car at 19. I wouldn't even recommend it. I would have wrecked it less than 6 months into ownership. Even now, I literally can't bring myself to not speed in this car.

As an update, my long starts have actually gotten less frequent. Now I'm just dealing with crazy torque steer and traction loss with the pirelli summer tires in the cold. But that's to be expected.

Biggest thing that's bothered me from day 1 was the driving behavior at low speeds. Granted all manuals are a bit lurchy but the N is not pleasant in parking lots and stop and go.
How about the DSG?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am afraid of all warranty dealer work 95 percent of them suck, what good is a long warranty. Remeber the techs get screwed on warranty work! The last of the 95 RX7 before OBD2 number 313 OF 500! Gone but not forgotten

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Tech get screwed on warranty work;
Mate they get paid an hourly rate whether they are working on warranty, maintenance or repair work. Don't have any idea where you got this. Now the dealership gets reimbursed with parts credits on warranty work but it has nothing to do with the techs.

Everything electronic is covered on the warranty for the first 60 months and if you opt for the 10 year warranty package, it's bumper to bumper. I don't know where you're getting your information but 95% of the Hyundai Dealership Service Departments do not suck.

Warranty
  • Basic warranty:60 months/60,000miles
  • Corrosion perforation warranty:84 months/ unlimited distance
  • Maintenance warranty:36 months/36,000miles
  • Powertrain warranty:120 months/100,000miles
  • Powertrain warranty:60 months/60,000miles
  • Roadside assistance coverage:60 months/ unlimited distance
PLUS;

Keeping your new Hyundai running at its best requires regular care and maintenance. We encourage new owners to stay on top of it with Hyundai Complimentary Maintenance. Hyundai has you covered for normal, factory scheduled maintenance intervals for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first). More frequent maintenance due to severe driving or conditions is excluded. Benefits include:

• Engine oil and oil filter changes
• Tire rotations
• Multi-point inspection
• Hyundai Genuine Oil filters & Hyundai Recommended Oil
• Extended Hyundai Protection Plans available for severe usage intervals or extended terms

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mate they get paid an hourly rate whether they are working on warranty, maintenance or repair work. Don't have any idea where you got this. Now the dealership gets reimbursed with parts credits on warranty work but it has nothing to do with the techs.

Everything electronic is covered on the warranty for the first 60 months and if you opt for the 10 year warranty package, it's bumper to bumper. I don't know where you're getting your information but 95% of the Hyundai Dealership Service Departments do not suck.

Warranty
  • Basic warranty:60 months/60,000miles
  • Corrosion perforation warranty:84 months/ unlimited distance
  • Maintenance warranty:36 months/36,000miles
  • Powertrain warranty:120 months/100,000miles
  • Powertrain warranty:60 months/60,000miles
  • Roadside assistance coverage:60 months/ unlimited distance
PLUS;

Keeping your new Hyundai running at its best requires regular care and maintenance. We encourage new owners to stay on top of it with Hyundai Complimentary Maintenance. Hyundai has you covered for normal, factory scheduled maintenance intervals for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first). More frequent maintenance due to severe driving or conditions is excluded. Benefits include:

• Engine oil and oil filter changes
• Tire rotations
• Multi-point inspection
• Hyundai Genuine Oil filters & Hyundai Recommended Oil
• Extended Hyundai Protection Plans available for severe usage intervals or extended terms

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just my past experince will most dealerships in the USA, not saying one is better nor worse. Sure there are good and bad with everything!
👀😀

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Yeah but making a generalized statement of; 95% of Hyundai dealership services are bad is a bit far fetched. We have quite a good service department and they'll bend over backwards to assist. I know our service department manager personally. He's was a BMW Service Manager originally, owns an late model Audi S6 and is a performance enthusiast.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah but making a generalized statement of; 95% of Hyundai dealership services are bad is a bit far fetched. We have quite a good service department and they'll bend over backwards to assist. I know our service department manager personally. He's was a BMW Service Manager originally, owns an late model Audi S6 and is a performance enthusiast.
I got it I was treated so bad by BMW after my 4th one new 89 535i the issues where horrible, pistons,rings, transmission, ball joints etc.all under warranty howver I was paying for the "Ultimate Experience" and BMW was renting me Lincolns? I will never ever buy a BMW again, I loved the quality and was one of the original BMWCCA members in Boston. I have been very happy with the Japanese reliabilty and plan on trying the Korean's,I believe they are trying harder!
I see you are an aftermaket tuner, supplier, what happens to the factory warranty? Don't get pissy on me just the facts.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Our BMW 330 was nothing but trouble and so was the service that came with it. It's the past, we've let it go a long time ago. :) (y)

I'm not an aftermarket supplier or tuner, I'm an experienced, trained mechanic/enthusiast with sponsorship. I do R & D work for those sponsors.

Hyundai has a Track Warranty, for the VN and i30N. Read the threads and then proceed as you decide.
Utilize the search engine the help you find such information. It's readily available and at your fingertips. This way there isn't multiple duplications of information and simple to find. Warranties are as good as the dealership service and what they will allow or won't. It's something you have to approach your specific dealership with directly. The Magnuson-Moss Act will support the owner in most ever case and decision. Stay with their prescribed modification list and you'll keep the warranty. Vary from it and without permission from your dealership service manager and you'll end up with difficulties.

Also, keep in mind; no one has gotten "pissy" is presently or has plans too. It's not conducive to giving or sharing viable information. Please, leave such thoughts or sentiments somewhere else and anything that goes with them. Appreciate it and I know Mike will also.(y)

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is a pretty insane car to get at 19 lol. I would have definitely done some bad things back then with this car...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Not really when you consider some of use used to drive 426 Hemi Cudas, Super Bees, 454 Yenko Camaros , 454 Corvettes, 421 GTO's, etc., when were 18 and older. It's where we cut our teeth in our younger years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
true
Not really when you consider some of use used to drive 426 Hemi Cudas, Super Bees, 454 Yenko Camaros , 454 Corvettes, 421 GTO's, etc., when were 18 and older. It's where we cut our teeth in our younger years.
True I was driving a 70 442w/30 at 17. Never crashed, was lucky! The good old days Sunoco 260 with lead bias ply tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I’m 19 y.o and currently have a 2017 Kia Forte. It’s gotten me everywhere reliably no major complaints, but I just want something more fun now. Especially since I want a manual car I’m so bored of auto. Anyway, I’ve been looking deep into everything before I make my decision of course. I’ve come across a lot of common problems people have with their VNs such as the transmission, cold start issues, parking brake issue, etc. In my opinion it seems like the kind of like the problems with gen coupes where some people say they have no problems at all and others hate their life. I’d just like to hear some of your opinions because I really love the car and what it has to offer, but at the same time I’d like to weigh out my options and see what you lucky N owners have to say! Thanks for taking the time to read all this and double thanks if you provide some feedback!
I have owned my VN for ten days; I traded in a 2008 Corvette that I purchased new and so far I am delighted with my decision. No problems at all, easy enough to learn the Info system. It steers and corners better than my 'Vette and is almost as cushy in the ride department while on the softest setting. No car is perfect; they all have quirks, and that is why Hyundai's warranty is so meaningful. I would recommend that car, sofar.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Veloster N DCT
12 Posts
Honestly I just want a solid first sports car if you will. Manual of course, decently quick, not terribly expensive, a good daily, etc. At first I was set on waiting longer and getting a scatpack but I feel like that isn’t the route I should go as of right now in my life. At the same time I could get an R/T since they’re cheaper and in the same ball park as a VN. So tbh it’s between an R/T challenger or the VN. Yes I know, they’re quite different but I love both cars. At this point I’m just nitpicking each car to see which one would really be the best decision for me. To answer your last question I haven’t driven any cool cars tbh haha I had a Ford Explorer, Kia sportage and now the Forte. The fastest car I’ve driven is a manual 370z tho that my buddy owns. Appreciate the reply btw!
Having both a 2015 Challenger and a 2021 VN I can tell you the VN is going to be a much better daily driver/commuter. What kind of budget are you working with?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts