Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’m 19 y.o and currently have a 2017 Kia Forte. It’s gotten me everywhere reliably no major complaints, but I just want something more fun now. Especially since I want a manual car I’m so bored of auto. Anyway, I’ve been looking deep into everything before I make my decision of course. I’ve come across a lot of common problems people have with their VNs such as the transmission, cold start issues, parking brake issue, etc. In my opinion it seems like the kind of like the problems with gen coupes where some people say they have no problems at all and others hate their life. I’d just like to hear some of your opinions because I really love the car and what it has to offer, but at the same time I’d like to weigh out my options and see what you lucky N owners have to say! Thanks for taking the time to read all this and double thanks if you provide some feedback!

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is a VN forum so most of us are going to tell you how great the car is, especially since you already know about the common problems. What are you looking for in a car? What other cars interest you? Have you driven anything other than the Forte?

·
Registered
12 Posts
What are the common problems? I know the interior is all pastic and inferior, the warranty is great however I really hate the dealers so I hope I don't need them. I purchased a new 95 mazda rx7 silverstone 5 speed pop eqip package, I over cared for it , fluids etc. It was a love hate affair, when it wasnt broken it was a blast however I never new was next ?
7.JPG
ter 15 After 15 years i regretabbly sold it however the burden of a twin turbo was passed on, it sold for a hefty price . I love the new vette however 80 grand is not for me. The type r is childish looking and my car stories continue

·
Registered
146 Posts
The "cheap" interior is debatable. I don't mind it and neither does my wife. She says, "you are not looking at the interior while you are driving..." It is well designed. We have a really good dealership in my area. I know they can be all over the map with Hyundai dealerships, but I have bought three cars from them if that says anything. They have a good service manager and department plus the salesmen that I have dealt with were fine. I have not had a single issue. The brakes sticking due to rust is more an "endearing quality" to me since all cars have little annoyances. I love the car and I fully expect good service from it.

Reactions: Phoenix721

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I am going to pull the trigger soon 21 white DSG! On to a funky 3 door! Happy Holidays

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a VN forum so most of us are going to tell you how great the car is, especially since you already know about the common problems. What are you looking for in a car? What other cars interest you? Have you driven anything other than the Forte?
Honestly I just want a solid first sports car if you will. Manual of course, decently quick, not terribly expensive, a good daily, etc. At first I was set on waiting longer and getting a scatpack but I feel like that isn’t the route I should go as of right now in my life. At the same time I could get an R/T since they’re cheaper and in the same ball park as a VN. So tbh it’s between an R/T challenger or the VN. Yes I know, they’re quite different but I love both cars. At this point I’m just nitpicking each car to see which one would really be the best decision for me. To answer your last question I haven’t driven any cool cars tbh haha I had a Ford Explorer, Kia sportage and now the Forte. The fastest car I’ve driven is a manual 370z tho that my buddy owns. Appreciate the reply btw!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Honestly I just want a solid first sports car if you will. Manual of course, decently quick, not terribly expensive, a good daily, etc. At first I was set on waiting longer and getting a scatpack but I feel like that isn’t the route I should go as of right now in my life. At the same time I could get an R/T since they’re cheaper and in the same ball park as a VN. So tbh it’s between an R/T challenger or the VN. Yes I know, they’re quite different but I love both cars. At this point I’m just nitpicking each car to see which one would really be the best decision for me. To answer your last question I haven’t driven any cool cars tbh haha I had a Ford Explorer, Kia sportage and now the Forte. The fastest car I’ve driven is a manual 370z tho that my buddy owns. Appreciate the reply btw!
Hi
I've rented many big Chryslers over the years old mercedes chassis, nice heavy tanks! I have owned many cars over the years, the best ones are the reliable ones, the cars are so intricate these days they don't fix em they replace modules? Sure if we want to be bored to death we all buy Toyotas, however life is to short unfortunately my wife cant drive manuals So DSG, I 🚗am an old sports car- muscle car guy from way back. Keep the pedal to the metal and burn some 93 oh bye the way Sunoco 106 leaded was the rocket full when I was a teenager!

·
Registered
44 Posts
For your needs, i think the VN is an awesome choice. It really is a great daily. The softest suspension setting, while still a bit firm, is comfortable enough to commute in. The exhaust is loud when you're feeling playful and can be quiet when you need it to be. With the hatch you also get plenty of cargo space.

Regarding the Charger/Challenger, where are you located? Because here in the Central Valley EVERYBODY has those cars. I get so tired of seeing them constantly. Yes they're priced well, are fast, sound good, look nice and blah blah blah. But they're just way too common. Even the Hellcats don't warrant a double-take. I know I'm ranting but I like a car that has some uniqueness. (smitty: gorgeous RX7 btw) Your area may be different, and in that case the Dodge would be a fine choice, especially if you have plenty of straight roads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For your needs, i think the VN is an awesome choice. It really is a great daily. The softest suspension setting, while still a bit firm, is comfortable enough to commute in. The exhaust is loud when you're feeling playful and can be quiet when you need it to be. With the hatch you also get plenty of cargo space.

Regarding the Charger/Challenger, where are you located? Because here in the Central Valley EVERYBODY has those cars. I get so tired of seeing them constantly. Yes they're priced well, are fast, sound good, look nice and blah blah blah. But they're just way too common. Even the Hellcats don't warrant a double-take. I know I'm ranting but I like a car that has some uniqueness. (smitty: gorgeous RX7 btw) Your area may be different, and in that case the Dodge would be a fine choice, especially if you have plenty of straight roads.
I agree the Chrysler are everywhere, I now live in Greenville SC , my rx7 was ported, polished,ceraminc coated ,3 mm apec seals ceraminc coated blue printed turbos,,downpipe full ss ehhaust , intake hardipes intercoooler ,radiator lightend flywheel, greddy bo valve tockicko adisatble racing beat asprings all pulleys ,full guages. Pettit racing in Floida did the work,Ive been to tail of the dragon,the poconos and ran morroso with it, It was a gudided missile however the fragiliity of the rotary was insane, I sold it with 36,000 on the clock Ill post the rest of the pictures later. I was in the specialty auto parts businness in FT Myers nd Naples for 25 years, the 7 did not like the hot whumid weathe it was great in the winter !!
Smitty a car nut forever

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Very good

Very good point about challengers being common which is one of things I forgot to mention I also enjoy a car that is unique. In my area the car scene is pretty small so you don’t see much of anything cool only once in a while but it’s true you definitely see challengers and mustangs all the time. I also agree with all the things you said about the VN the exhaust being one of the best selling points. I also didn’t add mods in my last response because I was trying to make it brief since I was on break from work. I’ve been watching a bunch of YouTube videos of people modding their VNs and it seems like there’s more and more companies making stuff for it everyday which is great. Have you done any mods to yours, and if so has the car taken them well? If not it’s fine just wondering if you have and came across any problems if so because I’ve seen a few comments regarding piggyback tunes saying it blew their engine up after some time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very good

Very good point about challengers being common which is one of things I forgot to mention I also enjoy a car that is unique. In my area the car scene is pretty small so you don’t see much of anything cool only once in a while but it’s true you definitely see challengers and mustangs all the time. I also agree with all the things you said about the VN the exhaust being one of the best selling points. I also didn’t add mods in my last response because I was trying to make it brief since I was on break from work. I’ve been watching a bunch of YouTube videos of people modding their VNs and it seems like there’s more and more companies making stuff for it everyday which is great. Have you done any mods to yours, and if so has the car taken them well? If not it’s fine just wondering if you have and came across any problems if so because I’ve seen a few comments regarding piggyback tunes saying it blew their engine up after some time.
Be careful void the warranty!

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes this is an important one for sure glad you mentioned it. What mods void the warranty? Cause I’m thinking of adding an intake, blowoff valve, oil catch can, and maybe intercooler / tune down the road along with other things. But I will definitely take it slow and ease into it I’m not trying to do everything as soon as I get the car lol. I was also thinking cause I’m obviously going to the save the OEM stuff couldn’t I just put everything back on if something were to happen or is that me thinking to simple minded. Also I saw something about them being able to see if you had a piggyback tune even if you removed it. Thanks for letting me pick your brain btw lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Very good

I'm limited to mods here in California. Plus I don't want to void the warranty. This is my daily and if I feel the need for speed I can just hop in the Vette. I have considered a piggyback also but I'll probably hold off on that.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I’ve been watching a bunch of YouTube videos of people modding their VNs and it seems like there’s more and more companies making stuff for it everyday which is great. Have you done any mods to yours, and if so has the car taken them well? If not it’s fine just wondering if you have and came across any problems if so because I’ve seen a few comments regarding piggyback tunes saying it blew their engine up after some time.
There are no problems with piggyback tunes. They retain all the safety features the OEM ECU has in place. They are sensor fooler and simply cannot override the OEM Safety Features.

There have been no engines blow, because of their use. What blows a VN engine is; shifting at WOT into a lower gear and those who think they can power shift the VN with WOT and manually overcome the rev limiter. Every engine that has been blown, is due to this specific problem. Additionally, trying to run a stock VN at 25+ psi is also troublesome but none of the piggyback tuners will even approach it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are no problems with piggyback tunes. They retain all the safety features the OEM ECU has in place. They are sensor fooler and simply cannot override the OEM Safety Features.

There have been no engines blow, because of their use. What blows a VN engine is; shifting at WOT into a lower gear and those who think they can power shift the VN with WOT and manually overcome the rev limiter. Every engine that has been blown, is due to this specific problem. Additionally, trying to run a stock VN at 25+ psi is also troublesome but none of the piggyback tuners will even approach it.
[/QUOTE/]
I figured that they really wouldn’t mess your car up they seem reliable. Just saw some people talking about it on YouTube and here and was curious. What piggyback do you think is the best I like the burger tuning JB4 but I know there’s a couple others.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I figured that they really wouldn’t mess your car up they seem reliable. Just saw some people talking about it on YouTube and here and was curious. What piggyback do you think is the best I like the burger tuning JB4 but I know there’s a couple others.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Phoenix721, just bought myself a used 2020 VN PP in Blue, since you are coming from lesser powered cars at 19 I say the veloster n is more than enough performance for you haha. I've only had less performance cars like the 1994 4 runner (horrible gas eater and had transmitting overheating up steep hills), 1997 mistubishi eclipse rs (loved the car but it was a total $h!t), suziki grand vitara (loved the car, wanted to build it up with a turbo but gave it to my brother), and a 2019 veloster rspec. The rspec was awesome, more than enough power when I got it as first, ended up getting a racechip for it and it was neck n neck with my gfs 2016 m235i in a 20-100. You can get the rspec to save money and with some money in mods that thing can be devastating in a straightline, I was also in your predicament between the r/t and vleoster when I was trying to buy a car back in 2018. I rented an r/t and while it was fun in a straight line, the rspec killed it in the corners where I spend most of my time in the bay area. Then I tried the n and damn, I don't even think I would trade than in for the 392, which I love btw. The vn is the best in the corners, my gfs m235i is pretty composed and with some suspension and tires upgrade it could probably be just as good in the corners but the vn is just so effortless. Also rented a 2020 ss camaro and that thing flies in straightline and in corners, but you gotta be pretty on it in tight turns to get even near the vn quickness. If you can afford the new vn at msrp id say all day long get it, it isn't the fastest in straightline but damn it kills backroads. If you need to go cheaper and don't mind paying some upgrades, the m235i (got it at 25k and kills in a line) and rspec (otd at 23k) arent bad, camaro ss if you don't mind the rear view is killer just heavy and not as flickable through switchbacks. I'd say VN all day long, the dct is quicker but I'm always an advocate for manual haha, with a couple grand in upgrades over the next few years you'll have a hard time finding cars that will beat it in the backroads!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Phoenix721, just bought myself a used 2020 VN PP in Blue, since you are coming from lesser powered cars at 19 I say the veloster n is more than enough performance for you haha. I've only had less performance cars like the 1994 4 runner (horrible gas eater and had transmitting overheating up steep hills), 1997 mistubishi eclipse rs (loved the car but it was a total $h!t), suziki grand vitara (loved the car, wanted to build it up with a turbo but gave it to my brother), and a 2019 veloster rspec. The rspec was awesome, more than enough power when I got it as first, ended up getting a racechip for it and it was neck n neck with my gfs 2016 m235i in a 20-100. You can get the rspec to save money and with some money in mods that thing can be devastating in a straightline, I was also in your predicament between the r/t and vleoster when I was trying to buy a car back in 2018. I rented an r/t and while it was fun in a straight line, the rspec killed it in the corners where I spend most of my time in the bay area. Then I tried the n and damn, I don't even think I would trade than in for the 392, which I love btw. The vn is the best in the corners, my gfs m235i is pretty composed and with some suspension and tires upgrade it could probably be just as good in the corners but the vn is just so effortless. Also rented a 2020 ss camaro and that thing flies in straightline and in corners, but you gotta be pretty on it in tight turns to get even near the vn quickness. If you can afford the new vn at msrp id say all day long get it, it isn't the fastest in straightline but damn it kills backroads. If you need to go cheaper and don't mind paying some upgrades, the m235i (got it at 25k and kills in a line) and rspec (otd at 23k) arent bad, camaro ss if you don't mind the rear view is killer just heavy and not as flickable through switchbacks. I'd say VN all day long, the dct is quicker but I'm always an advocate for manual haha, with a couple grand in upgrades over the next few years you'll have a hard time finding cars that will beat it in the backroads!
Oh damn was reading a different response when I saw dct... definitely get it in manual!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh damn was reading a different response when I saw dct... definitely get it in manual!
Btw I got the 2019 rspec at 24, the fastest car I've own till then, and now with the VN at 26, wish I had it at the beginning hahaha so close experience to you!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts