Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some wisdom. Is it normal for VN to be marked up in the Bay area? I put in a reservation for an 8 speed DCT VN to be able to test drive it. The cars have barely started arriving, and some were sold before they even arrived to the lot, so I put in a $1k reservation to be able to at least test drive it. The sales person I have been talking to told me that they marked up the last two VN that arrived by about 5k, and sold them (even told me the story of each). Salesman said his boss wanted to mark my car up by 5k as well, but that he told his boss that it wasn't cool, because I put in the reservation, and said he "already told me he would sell the car for 1k over sticker," but we had not discussed that yet. He was asking how serious I was, because he said if I don't want it, they were marking it up 5k, and someone else would take it like the last ones. The 1.9 percent APR deal fades away the beginning of January, which makes a difference from 2.9 percent. If I wait, and assuming I get it for sticker price at 2.9, I end up pay about $800 more in financing, than what I pay for this deal at $1k over sticker. I understand the car might be in demand, but are these mark ups reasonable?

·
Registered
74 Posts
The VN's are just following the way of the Type R. the Type R is going for $44K in the Socal, Valley area, so of course Hyundai dealers would mark up the N's to $38-$39K. Carmax has some lightly used N's for $27K if you can drive stick and want to save 20thousand bucks. I love My VN but its not worth almost 40grand.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I don't know about the 2021s. I bought my 2020 in August and shopped around every dealer within 150 miles, being clear that I'm happy to wait for the 2021 but could go for a 2020 if the price was right. Dealer in Stockton (no wonder) had one for 2k below MSRP. Took that offer, asked a local-ish dealer in Santa Rosa if they were willing to match, they were, and I was golden.

I heard stories of 5k markups as well back then but paid them no mind. Just moved on and shopped around more until I got the deal I wanted.

Same with the test drive. Being allowed to do one on my own due to COVID was non-negotiable. Most of them said no, but the Santa Rosa dealership said yes, so that's where I went.

Solo test drive, and matched lower price. Can't complain about that sales experience at all. If only they were close enough for me to form an opinion with their service department, too, since it seems highly rated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts