Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than simply using a set of Brembo's, which are fairly typical for performance variants, Hyundai has developed its own set of brakes specifically for the Veloster N. We don't have any specifics about the set up but apparently they are a redesigned version of what's found on the Kia Optima. Early reports suggest this custom setup is very capable.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like the idea of using brakes exclusive to Hyundai but I hope its just not another excuse to go parts bin diving instead of giving owners what they should get instead... because you have to ask, why is everyone else going Brembo and Hyundai takes a different route?

·
Registered
67 Posts
My first thought is that this is being done to keep costs down. Not only would Brembo's bring up the buy in price, but they would also increase your running/maintenance costs. The large calipers also typically reduce your options for winter tire setups.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My first thought is that this is being done to keep costs down. Not only would Brembo's bring up the buy in price, but they would also increase your running/maintenance costs. The large calipers also typically reduce your options for winter tire setups.
I'm starting to think Brembo Brakes should have been in the Performance Package, at that point they get the best of both worlds.

As someone very particular on all aspects of performance, paying a few percent more of the vehicles MSRP then its worth the trade off.

·
Banned
127 Posts
Nope, they are retagged Brembos with the performance package. At least that's what is on ours!:grin:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have no complaints on how the bakes stop. Best stopping car I have ever owned. They even stop better than my old 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP and that had cross-drilled redesigned Vette brakes on from the factory. I just hope we can get some cheaper pads that create less brake dust for the PP set up because original pads for the front are over $200.00 per set. YIKES...

-Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I had a blast with the N on my first track day, however I came out of it wanting to get a set of track tires and brakes. I went to try and find replacement/upgrades for pads or rotors and couldn't find anything out there except really expensive two piece rotors. The first three of the 20 minute sessions went great but started feeling the heat get to the brakes and tires on the 4th session so I had to calm it down.
Anybody have recommendations of suitable replacements/upgrades?

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I had a blast with the N on my first track day, however I came out of it wanting to get a set of track tires and brakes. I went to try and find replacement/upgrades for pads or rotors and couldn't find anything out there except really expensive two piece rotors. The first three of the 20 minute sessions went great but started feeling the heat get to the brakes and tires on the 4th session so I had to calm it down.
Are you using high temp brake fluid already with the stock brakes?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Are you using high temp brake fluid already with the stock brakes?
Pagid makes pads for the N. Definitely use motul or similar race brake fluid dot4. Oh and tire!!! I am running Hankook RS4'S. On the street alone the grip is so much more and the breaking. Tires will make a brake system. Trust me!!! Imo this cars does not need more brake at oem or conservative power adders. Unless of course you are running a dedicated track car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! At the time I was only running the OEM brake fluid, I plan to swap this as well as get a dedicated set of track tires/wheels so I don't chew through my daily set. I'll have to check on Pagid though, I wouldn't mind having a dedicated set of pads as well just for track days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have no complaints on how the bakes stop. Best stopping car I have ever owned. They even stop better than my old 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP and that had cross-drilled redesigned Vette brakes on from the factory. I just hope we can get some cheaper pads that create less brake dust for the PP set up because original pads for the front are over $200.00 per set. YIKES...

-Mike
Hey, I know this is old as hell haha but dude I just bought a VN, had a club ND miata with brembo and just the front pads were $520. Just pads installed! Not even machining the rotors. So 200 isn't bad

·
Registered
116 Posts
I ask at the dealer 407.00 for the fronts . i have found the oem pads online for same , 285. good thing i am downshifter.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think it's totally a rip off. Why can't Wagner make a set of pads for this car? Honestly, a good set of ceramic performancee pads shouldn't be over 100 bucks for God's sake. I understand companies need to make money but sometimes the prices are gouging people. I love the car but it's still a Hyundai. It's not a BMW.... Prices should kind of reflect that in some way or another. Just an honest opinion.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ghost.HVN,

Over 500 bucks for a set of pads is highway robbery. But, it's a track car so I really have no idea how much stuff like that costs for a race car. But, my Veloster is a daily driver so almost 300 bucks for pads is just not right imo.... Especially since I do all the work on my car myself...

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
78 Posts
Look at G-Loc brakes, I run R12 fronts and R10 rears from them (probably too aggressive for most for street driving) and they're pads are cheaper than OEM and better because they're heavily carbon based instead of metallic based. Which will get rid of the rust dust and also keep the pads from not sticking.

The R12/R10 combo is squeaky and makes a lot of dust, but I got them for track work. If you want something aimed more towards a daily focused car I would do R8 fronts and R6 rears.

I paid $530 for both front and rear pads btw, which is on par/slightly cheaper than OEM pads and are a much better quality pad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts