Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone. Just checking in with my new 2021 N w/ DCT in Blue I picked up on Saturday. I went in to test drive the car with not high expectations. To say I was wrong is an understatement.

After a 20 minute test drive, I was sold, and thoroughly impressed. I have owned a number of performance oriented cars over the years and driven even more. This car just felt "right" in every way. I think this might just be the best daily drive sport compact on the market right now.

My current daily is a Focus RS, which it looks like I will be selling within the next month after I get new tires on it next week.

Cheers!

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
551 Posts
USMC. Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
587 Posts
Welcome!!!! Glad you enjoy it and i hope it lives up to all your expectations! I too am interested is the comparisons to the focus RS as i have zero seat time in that car!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome all!

So my RS is an early 2017 build, so that means that the head has been pulled to replace the incorrect head gasket. I have had no issues, but some have had issues after. It also means I do not have the revised dampers that came on the later 2017 and all 2018 models. From what I have read they greatly improve the ride quality on normal suspension mode and removes the notorious vertical bounce. Right off the bat, the Veloster rides better in all modes. Normal mode is substantially better, and even in full sport+ the ride is not bad. I feel like the N team really nailed the damping rates. The Recaro seats in the RS are extremely aggressive, though not completely uncomfortable when you get your seating position right. The seating position though is a bit to high, and the rake of the lower half of the seat to aggressive. The new N Light seats in the 2021 N are absolutely brilliant; not overly aggressive but still hold you in place. And the lower seating position gives a better feel for me personally.

I do have to say that the RS as a driving machine is a work of art. The trans is amazing, the shift is tight and positive, clutch feel is not to heavy or light, and has a very low bite point. The AWD system is simply brilliant. You can slam the throttle through a turn and feel the back outside wheel push the car around. There is ZERO understeer in the car, and it does not have the extreme lift-off oversteer of the ST. The steering has amazing feedback, and turn in is immediate. When you think you have reached the limit of the car and its grip, it just asks for more. That said, there are a few things I feel Ford missed on in a big way.

First is the temperature issues. You can only run the car hard on the track for 15-20 minutes at a time, before the PDU (Primary Drive Unit) gets to hot and disengages the RDU (rear drive unit) and disables the drive modes. For a car that was built specifically to decimate cars way above its price point on the track, I feel that a pretty advanced oil cooler should have been standard to help lengthen its ability to remain on track. Second is the factory tune. The car has a max boost pressure of 23.5 PSI (depending on ambient air temps) to make its 350 hp/350 tq. The stock tune limits boost to 17-18 PSI in the first two gears. Yes, the car can still bolt from 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds with a 5500 rpm launch. There is also a weird dead zone in the stock tune around half throttle, where you are hitting maybe 10-12 psi of boost, but the car falls flat because it is dumping all the fuel for a WOT run. An aftermarket tune removes this limit on the first and second gear and the car becomes an absolute rocket from a stand still, and also fixes that mid-throttle dead zone. Of course, having an aftermarket tune means good luck trying to get something covered under warranty.

The VN so far is giving me all the fun and smiles the RS gave me. The car is really, really good. The DCT, which I had serious doubts about when I went in for the test drive, is stunningly good. I would dare say the VN with this DCT is as fast as my RS up to 90-100 mph. The ride quality even in N mode is not back breaking (at least if you don't take any large, sharp bumps). Everything is more comfortable. The handling in the N was another surprise for me. Going back to FWD, I was not expecting as much as the N gave me. I have powered out of bends and turns like I would in the RS, and the N gives me almost the same feel. No understeer, the back feels like it comes around with the car. Not quite the noticeable push from the RS AWD system. It just comes around, predictably. The only thing I will say that the RS does better is the steering feel, but I have only had the N for a couple days now and have not been able to work the steering as much as the RS, so that feeling could change.

I honestly think that if I were to track these two cars back to back, I feel the N w/ DCT would be very close to the RS on lap times. Again, this car really feels that good. And so much more livable as a daily. The RS is a track toy in my opinion. If I was 20-25 years old it probably would not bother me, but at 40, I want my little performance hatchback to be comfortable as well.

Sorry for the book. I have just done a lot of thinking about cars over the last few weeks....lol. Cheers everyone!

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
587 Posts
Thanks for the welcome all!

So my RS is an early 2017 build, so that means that the head has been pulled to replace the incorrect head gasket. I have had no issues, but some have had issues after. It also means I do not have the revised dampers that came on the later 2017 and all 2018 models. From what I have read they greatly improve the ride quality on normal suspension mode and removes the notorious vertical bounce. Right off the bat, the Veloster rides better in all modes. Normal mode is substantially better, and even in full sport+ the ride is not bad. I feel like the N team really nailed the damping rates. The Recaro seats in the RS are extremely aggressive, though not completely uncomfortable when you get your seating position right. The seating position though is a bit to high, and the rake of the lower half of the seat to aggressive. The new N Light seats in the 2021 N are absolutely brilliant; not overly aggressive but still hold you in place. And the lower seating position gives a better feel for me personally.

I do have to say that the RS as a driving machine is a work of art. The trans is amazing, the shift is tight and positive, clutch feel is not to heavy or light, and has a very low bite point. The AWD system is simply brilliant. You can slam the throttle through a turn and feel the back outside wheel push the car around. There is ZERO understeer in the car, and it does not have the extreme lift-off oversteer of the ST. The steering has amazing feedback, and turn in is immediate. When you think you have reached the limit of the car and its grip, it just asks for more. That said, there are a few things I feel Ford missed on in a big way.

First is the temperature issues. You can only run the car hard on the track for 15-20 minutes at a time, before the PDU (Primary Drive Unit) gets to hot and disengages the RDU (rear drive unit) and disables the drive modes. For a car that was built specifically to decimate cars way above its price point on the track, I feel that a pretty advanced oil cooler should have been standard to help lengthen its ability to remain on track. Second is the factory tune. The car has a max boost pressure of 23.5 PSI (depending on ambient air temps) to make its 350 hp/350 tq. The stock tune limits boost to 17-18 PSI in the first two gears. Yes, the car can still bolt from 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds with a 5500 rpm launch. There is also a weird dead zone in the stock tune around half throttle, where you are hitting maybe 10-12 psi of boost, but the car falls flat because it is dumping all the fuel for a WOT run. An aftermarket tune removes this limit on the first and second gear and the car becomes an absolute rocket from a stand still, and also fixes that mid-throttle dead zone. Of course, having an aftermarket tune means good luck trying to get something covered under warranty.

The VN so far is giving me all the fun and smiles the RS gave me. The car is really, really good. The DCT, which I had serious doubts about when I went in for the test drive, is stunningly good. I would dare say the VN with this DCT is as fast as my RS up to 90-100 mph. The ride quality even in N mode is not back breaking (at least if you don't take any large, sharp bumps). Everything is more comfortable. The handling in the N was another surprise for me. Going back to FWD, I was not expecting as much as the N gave me. I have powered out of bends and turns like I would in the RS, and the N gives me almost the same feel. No understeer, the back feels like it comes around with the car. Not quite the noticeable push from the RS AWD system. It just comes around, predictably. The only thing I will say that the RS does better is the steering feel, but I have only had the N for a couple days now and have not been able to work the steering as much as the RS, so that feeling could change.

I honestly think that if I were to track these two cars back to back, I feel the N w/ DCT would be very close to the RS on lap times. Again, this car really feels that good. And so much more livable as a daily. The RS is a track toy in my opinion. If I was 20-25 years old it probably would not bother me, but at 40, I want my little performance hatchback to be comfortable as well.

Sorry for the book. I have just done a lot of thinking about cars over the last few weeks....lol. Cheers everyone!
This is awesome. Thank you for such a thorough response! This will be enjoyed my many!

- JE

·
Registered
2020 Manual Performance Blue N, stock. PPF on front.
291 Posts
No problem. I will say that I will miss the heated seats and steering wheel. Even living in the south those were nice to have on the few cold days in the winter😄.
Congrats.
I also owned an RS, though for only 8 months as I just couldn't handle the ultra stiff ride quality, even in normal mode.
You are spot on on your review.
Seating position was too high like you are driving a Ford Transit van.
Recaro seats in the RS were better than in my 2020 N, even though the seat bottoms were on a weird angle.
The RS has better acceleration and turn in.
The Nitrous Blue on my RS looked a little more exotic than the performance blue as it had a gold metallic flake.
I like my N way more as the suspension does not beat the crap out of me like the RS did.
Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good morning everyone. Just checking in with my new 2021 N w/ DCT in Blue I picked up on Saturday. I went in to test drive the car with not high expectations. To say I was wrong is an understatement.

After a 20 minute test drive, I was sold, and thoroughly impressed. I have owned a number of performance oriented cars over the years and driven even more. This car just felt "right" in every way. I think this might just be the best daily drive sport compact on the market right now.

My current daily is a Focus RS, which it looks like I will be selling within the next month after I get new tires on it next week.

Cheers!
Woohooo!! Congratulations! I have a 2019N (performance blue) that I LOVE!!! My kids got me the fun license plate for Christmas for the front...💙

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts