Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new 2021 N (dct) was just bought it March, everything has been running smooth until now. when accelerating at a low speed to pass another car my car hesitates and lags to pull fast. it doesn't do this all the time, but enough to notice it as a problem. the only thing I have touched on this car as a mod is a K&N Filter to replace the OEM hyundai one.. could this be the problem? or is it the High Pressure Fuel Pump? - Thanks

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I’m going to ask you some questions so bear with me.

What grade fuel are you using?

How many miles on the odometer?

What mode are you finding it in primarily?

Let's don’t jump to conclusions with a bad HPFP. Need to eliminate a few basics first.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m going to ask you some questions so bear with me.

What grade fuel are you using?

How many miles on the odometer?

What mode are you finding it in primarily?

Leys don’t jump to conclusions with a bad HPFP. Need to eliminate a few basics first.
Hey Red. Using costco 91 octane all the time
the car has "3600km" total on it.
i'm finding it mostly does this in N mode.. keep in mind I don't use any other modes except N when driving, won't even use sport.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Ok, thank you!

Fuel that is used, from a station that has allot of fueling traffic?

Does the hesitation happen throughout from lower to higher rpms?

Does the hesitation happen with the NGS engage as well?

Does the hesitation also happen in the manual shifting mode with the paddles?

Two things to remember;

1. An automatic will hesitate very short when engaging a lower gear, especially under acceleration. There will be a slight delay between the time apply WOT and the DCT shifts. We've got a similar hesitation with the 1.6T Kia Soul GT-Line so I'm aware of what you're dealing with.

2. Turbo lag or spooling up can cause a similar hesitation and add to the seeming issue.

Do you have any issues with starting; Takes longer to actually start once the button is depressed? (Rolls over for 2 or 3 seconds until the engine fire up.)

Does the engine stumble at any rpm, while normally driving?

Does it every stumble at idle and then regain the a normal rpm?

Just bear with me here, I'm going thru some manual diagnosis.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thank you!

Fuel that is used, from a station that has allot of fueling traffic?

Does the hesitation happen throughout from lower to higher rpms?

Does the hesitation happen with the NGS engage as well?

Does the hesitation also happen in the manual shifting mode with the paddles?

Two things to remember;

1. An automatic will hesitate very short when engaging a lower gear, especially under acceleration. There will be a slight delay between the time apply WOT and the DCT shifts. We've got a similar hesitation with the 1.6T Kia Soul GT-Line so I'm aware of what you're dealing with.

2. Turbo lag or spooling up can cause a similar hesitation and add to the seeming issue.

Do you have any issues with starting; Takes longer to actually start once the button is depressed? (Rolls over for 2 or 3 seconds until the engine fire up.)

Does the engine stumble at any rpm, while normally driving?

Does it every stumble at idle and then regain the a normal rpm?

Just bear with me here, I'm going thru some manual diagnosis.
hey bro appreciate u gettin back to me
  • yes costco is insanely busy lots of fueling traffic, it's ridiculous maybe I should use SHELL Nitro?
  • yes hesitation happens from lower to higher rpms
  • haven't tried NGS button yet on the car to be honest
  • haven't engaged using the paddle shifters yet.

your knowledge drop on how an automatic will hesitate regardless makes sense especially on a lower gear, I never encounter this issue while rollin on 3rd or 4th gear.
-no issue's on cold start, very solid with that classic roaring tone from the exhaust.
- no stumbling at all
* I do notice the turbo takes a lil longer to spool when slamming down the throttle from a dead stop, could it be the K&N filter installed? should I put back the OEM one? **

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Thank you once again! No, the K & N is actually a better filter then the OEM unit. You can try it but I don't believe it will make a difference.

When the DCT shifts down to a lower gear at the application of WOT there will be a hesitation.

What I'd like you to do for me is try this; Select the manual mode for paddle use, manually select a lower gear, say third or fourth gear and then give it WOT. As if, you were allowing the car to automatically shift to that lower passing gear selection. If it hesitates, then it will help me more to understand what's occurring.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you once again! No, the K & N is actually a better filter then the OEM unit. You can try it but I don't believe it will make a difference.

When the DCT shifts down to a lower gear at the application of WOT there will be a hesitation.

What I'd like you to do for me is try this; Select the manual mode for paddle use, manually select a lower gear, say third or fourth gear and then give it WOT. As if, you were allowing the car to automatically shift to that lower passing gear selection. If it hesitates, then it will help me more to understand what's occurring.
Will try this out on the wknd, thanks Red

1 - 8 of 8 Posts