Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, nice to finally have this section of the forum!

First off: the car is named after Freddie Mercury and my late father. I feel like I've mostly focused on things that help with driver engagement & accessibility more than raw power, especially since I do not have or plan to have any kind of tune on the car. But lets start at the beginning, mid last year I decided to trade in my big turbo Fiesta ST and move into a Veloster N. I test drove a friends car and about a month later... Viola! Day 1 (the fiesta pictured is not the one I traded in lol) :

I picked up the car in Columbus GA and drove it home to Ft Lauderdale FL.

I immediately ordered a SXTH catch can and Boomba rear mount

the miles added up and I was very happy with the car. I always thought something was missing though, when I found out the Cadillac CTSV brembos would bolt up to the hub and work with an Evo X rotor I immediately snapped up a set of those. I painted them and added N decals to make them look somewhat factory.

around the same time I also wrapped the red accent pieces in orange, matching the brakes.

Current Info:

I maintain the car with Amsoil 5w30 signature series oil, and OEM filters. I've also changed the transmission fluid with Motul gear oil.

Current Mod List:
-Forge intercooler
-Forge BOV (recirculated)
-Forge intake
-Yames Design turbo inlet (red)
-Whiteline lowering springs
-Whiteline camber bolts (set at -2* all the way around)
-Cadillac CTS-V Brembo brake calipers w/Hawk 5.0 Pads
-JBR short shifter, shifter base bushings, & cable bushings
-TTR passenger mount
-Boomba racing rear mount
-Kims Garage wing plates
-Superspeed.ca RF03RR wheels (18 x 8.5 +35)
-Tork Motorsport control arm braces
-SXTH PCV side catch can
-Pierce Motorsports strut tower bar
-Raceseng tow hook (front)
-Hyundai/Kia 35320-2GTA0 HPFP (Sonata & Santa Fe 2.0T)

Prior Mods (reason removed):
-AFE Takeda Momentum Intake (too quiet, I am a child)
-N Performance Strut Brace (clear coat started to yellow, wanted something more durable and one piece)
-SXTH throttle body spacer w/NPT port for blow off valve solenoid bypass mod(not performing as expected)

Current Photo:

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did a little photo shoot after all of that was done

shortly after that I attended my first track day in the car. It was a great time but it showed me the weaknesses of the stock tires and where the car could definitely use some bracing. Side note brembos were fantastic on the track!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
After the track day it was sort of a downward spiral as far as modifications go. I knew I was wanting more out of the car and was on a mission to find wheels that fit without spacers. This lead to me purchasing a set of Superspeed.ca RF03RR wheels in gunmetal.

Decided it needed some low after that and picked up some whiteline lowering springs & complimenting camber bolts, because it RUBBED :ROFLMAO:

(also tried out an AFE Takeda Momentum intake)

Snapped up a used Forge intercooler for a great price and took it to the track shortly after that.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've purchased a few things from Mr. Kim, one of those things was a carbon strut bar but I ended up selling it since it yellowed in the engine bay due to the heat (I got the black badges from him as well). I also picked up these neat wing side plates, since I couldn't justify spending the ~2k on any of the current replacement option wings.

I ordered and installed an RPM Performance UK lower flex-pipe section as well. I've read that replacing the whole downpipe is more beneficial but the biggest restriction comes in the form of the flex section. These are designed for the I30N but fit the Veloster as well.

I continued my orange accent theme by painting the blue interior pieces. I air brushed them using a custom mix, to get them as close to my vinyl color as possible. Wrapping wouldn't have been an option as there is very little clearance where they fit. I also flocked my gauge cluster hood, since I had bought a spare for this reason. I need to work out what to do with the steering wheel buttons, but we don't have many options at the moment and paint is out of the question.

Being a lover of Forge and their products I had picked up a second hand Forge intake, and a new blow off valve. I also picked up a Pierburg BOV solenoid from SXTH.

And finally most recently, I got my JBR short shifter and bushing kit. I also wrapped my intake and cold pipe with heat reflective tape.

I really enjoy the way the car drives now, its such a blast even on the stock tune. I have a Pierce motorsports strut bar on the way, I definitely noticed a difference without the N performance one on my car so I went bigger!

I skipped some stuff like the TTR mount and the original AFE intake that I had since I didn't feel like downloading the photos from the cloud. I have a lot of plans as well and I will post them in here as they come up. I will be tracking the car as much as I can this year, my track tires have a good day or two left in them so we shall see how that goes.

Thanks for dropping in :)

·
Super Moderator
1,722 Posts
I am definitely going to follow this build. I love the name! "Freddy"! That was my Father's and older brothers name. I miss them both! RIP, guys!

Anyway, very nice build so far. I really like the orange in place of the red. So freakin' cool!!!! Good luck with this build! Can't wait to see more!

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am definitely going to follow this build. I love the name! "Freddy"! That was my Father's and older brothers name. I miss them both! RIP, guys!

Anyway, very nice build so far. I really like the orange in place of the red. So freakin' cool!!!! Good luck with this build! Can't wait to see more!

Best regards,

-Mike
Funny story my dads legal first name was Fredrick, but he went by Michael (his middle name). However he introduced me to Queen as a child and my mother used to say "ready Freddie?" all the time to me when we were getting ready to go do something or go out somewhere. So just overall fun memories for me with that name.

Thanks! I have a thing for orange, and if you wanna take a look I updated the rest of the posts ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,722 Posts
It's a small world, huh? I say that all the time to my son. Ready Freddy? lol.... My Dad used to say it all the time too.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
2019 Chalk White Perf Pack - Master of breaking stuff.
86 Posts
Love the build! The orange accents are rad looking on your car. I'm driving down the modification rabbit hole and now just trying to determine what I want out of mine. Named mine Betty - I'll give you a guess as to which Betty. 😉

Looks like you've done alot and I'm not necessarily trying to tweak a tune similar to you but what was your best (performance wise) and favorite modification done so far?

Will definitely be following your build!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Love the build! The orange accents are rad looking on your car. I'm driving down the modification rabbit hole and now just trying to determine what I want out of mine. Named mine Betty - I'll give you a guess as to which Betty. 😉
Betty White ;)

Looks like you've done alot and I'm not necessarily trying to tweak a tune similar to you but what was your best (performance wise) and favorite modification done so far?

Will definitely be following your build!
Hands down the shifter and bushings. A hassle to install but totally worth it.

·
Registered
2019 Chalk White Perf Pack - Master of breaking stuff.
86 Posts
Betty White ;)

Hands down the shifter and bushings. A hassle to install but totally worth it.
Ha, funny you say that because I've been eyeing them for awhile and just don't have the capacity to dive into something like that. Keep up the good work. Nailed the name too, well done!

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
391 Posts

Best regards,

-Mike
This is creepy. My older brother and father are both Freddy. They are both still alive, however.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Added these guys from Mr. Kim today. Had them painted just gloss black since I didn’t know that the black bits on the car were phantom black. Oh well can’t really tell, but they add some class.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some of you might follow me elsewhere on the forum, but I accomplished this over the weekend

Apparently I was not the first, but I was the first to make a thread. So far it has been working fine for a few hundred miles, others have had it for months with no issues.

quick and dirty pic of the spacer :LOL:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Race weekend prep updates:

Installed the Pierce Motorsport strut tower brace. Woooweeee what a piece and what a struggle to get it on. You have to hammer a thin wall 14mm onto the nuts provided to get it to tighten, the holes are just barely too small, unless the struts are in exactly the right place to line everything up perfectly.

Uninstalled the SXTH throttle body spacer and direct vacuum BOV mod, reset the PCM and hooked everything back up as OEM. Works 100x better than I remember for some reason.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey man. What size tires are you running on your super speeds? I never heard of them but they make some nice affordable wheels.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts