Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

Registered
Ahh, I thought you were doing it this weekend. Sorry man. I remember doing the Downpipe, O2 housing, turbo and turbo manifold on my 96 Eclipse (DSM) back in the day. I was super worried too. I douched all the hardware every night for like a week with PB blaster... smelled like **** driving it but every piece came right apart. I just do not have time to do this one, so that is why I paid the shop. I always pay to do the cat back as they never fit right and having a lift makes it 1000 times easier.

Still enjoying mine. Ill upload a video from the dash cam last night going to get dinner where I played with the different drive modes and how it go so quite you could not tell it was modified.... I uber love this car.

Registered
With 3 days it shouldn't be bad at all. The job itself isnt really hard, its the stress of snapping something you shouldn't have snapped thats hard 馃槀
I only had 1 day to do it so looking back i over exaggerated a bit, but it was my first real big solo job and my heart was in my throat the whole time.
You and your son should have absolutely no major issues taking your time.

The only thing i honestly have no idea how you're going to be able to rebolt on is the bottom support for the cat side of the downpipe.
I remember removing it and hoping the sxth didnt have that because how tf can you even reach that again
View attachment 3294
You'll have to finesse the bolt with a 10" socket extension, connected to a swivel, and another extension. Atleast that's how I had to get it out lol

Registered
You'll have to finesse the bolt with a 10" socket extension, connected to a swivel, and another extension. Atleast that's how I had to get it out lol
Getting it out wassnt the problem lol i managed to get a straight extension right from under it between some engine components with a gap right in view of the bolt, i dont quite remember tbh. The hard part to me would be re tightening that lol it took me like 20 minuted just to find out a way to remove it

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
It means there will NOT be a check engine light on after install. Hope this helped?

Best regards,

-Mike
oh ya CEL is check engine light duh haha. for some reason I thought you were referring to the o2 sensor. big help, thanks man!

Super Moderator
I'm just going to go slow with a bunch of breaks. I am also going to remove the passenger side wheel to see if I can access things to make it a little easier. The bottom plastic panel is coming off too when i do the job. I will also put all bolts removed into separate plastic baggies and mark each baggie on where the bolt goes. I know it's very cautious but it prevents mistakes. I have all the tools, plus an impact gun.

Thanks for the video. Damn, is my car going to be loud! Thank God for normal exhaust on N custom mode. Lol..... Thanks for all the help guys!

Best regards,

-Mike

Super Moderator
The drama starts tomorrow! Thank God for PB Blaster. lol....

Br,

-Mike

Reactions: MikeMr305

Super Moderator
Oh my friggin' word! Thank God for Normal exhaust mode! I'm in trouble for sure!!!!

Br,

-Mike

Registered
Oh my friggin' word! Thank God for Normal exhaust mode! I'm in trouble for sure!!!!

Br,

-Mike
Normal mode is incrediblly quite still lol i LOVE the stock muffler, its almost witchcraft.

Can i ask did you have strange metallic burning smell while breaking in the ARK?
It almost smells like when i got the downpipe but way stronger. Smelled like its about to catch fire at one point 馃槀

Super Moderator
No. Remember I had mine coated in a 1300 degree jet hot. They bake off all of the crap in a kiln when they put on the coating so no smells when I installed it. That smell will be gone in 200 miles or less. Don't worry bud.

Br,

-Mike

Super Moderator
Ya, I am NOT replacing the stock muffler. Especially with this catless pipe. God, please DON'T make me regret it! lol!!!!

Registered
Ya, I am NOT replacing the stock muffler. Especially with this catless pipe. God, please DON'T make me regret it! lol!!!!
Thanks for the info, i didnt know they bake off the smell with the jet hot, thats awesome!
And NO REGRETS ! the car is unbelievably tame in Normal. Startups might scare you a little if its midnight 馃槀 and be ready for noise in N mode. But thats exactly how the car should be! You have the control to be tame, or a maniac!

Super Moderator
I just bought light weight rims too. 9 lbs. lighter on each corner. Went with 18's with a 235/40r18. I have to say that is it for this year for mods. I wasn't planning on buying rims but the opportunity presented itself at half the cost so I bit the bullet. Because of this purchase I was thinking of selling the down pipe but your post talked me out of it. lol.... Honestly, I am still on the fence about it. Really not looking forward to the install. Thanks for the input, Mike.

Br,

-Mike

Super Moderator
Ok, after careful consideration and since I live in Mass and NEED a cat for inspections I need to sell the cat less down pipe. All the leg work is done for a Jet Hot titanium coating, I paid 530 for the pipe itself and 278 for the coating. That equals 808 dollars without shipping costs. I will accept 750 and I will pay for the shipping if it's in the USA. I will post this in the for sale section too.

Br,

-Mike

Registered
Curious if you're considering any specific downpipe now Mike?
Options are pretty limited and expensive lol

Super Moderator
I'm not sure at this point. I did however get lighter rims for the car. 43 lbs each corner as opposed to 52. I am not sure to be honest about another down pipe. Even the catted versions are super loud. I like the way the car sounds now. The pops and crackles on my car now are deep and not tinney, I like that. I gotta be honest, the audio you made in N mode with what you have is the absolute limit for me. I cannot imagine it with out a cat. Holy Hell, Batman! lol.... I know I would not have liked it. I'm too old. lol.... The x-force dp would be great if they made it with heat shield attachments. I just don't know right now.

Br,

-Mike

Registered
I'm not sure at this point. I did however get lighter rims for the car. 43 lbs each corner as opposed to 52. I am not sure to be honest about another down pipe. Even the catted versions are super loud. I like the way the car sounds now. The pops and crackles on my car now are deep and not tinney, I like that. I gotta be honest, the audio you made in N mode with what you have is the absolute limit for me. I cannot imagine it with out a cat. Holy Hell, Batman! lol.... I know I would not have liked it. I'm too old. lol.... The x-force dp would be great if they made it with heat shield attachments. I just don't know right now.

Br,

-Mike
Cars still new, maybe they'll be something perfect in the future. Or maybe a perfect opportunity lol

Super Moderator
I am actually extremely excited about the new rims. I am actually going to measure the stud placement on the DP before I ship it out so I can maybe weld some on say maybe a depot racing catted dp? Or maybe a x-force dp in the future. This season is almost up so any dp install will happen next spring at the earliest. The SXTH one is pretty nice too. There are many options.... I just HAVE to use a cat of some sort for this stupid state I live in. (God, do I hate it here!) lol.... I'm even thinking Florida again... :)

Br,

-Mike

21 - 40 of 40 Posts