Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

My 2020 N makes no pops or bangs.

18K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  RedVN 
#1 ·
I watch videos and read the forums, but my 2020 N doesn't make any pops or bangs when shifting. My car is set for the loudest on the screen in the custom N mode, and even if I have it in the regular N mode, the exhaust never pops or backfires when I shift at higher RPMs. I mean the exhaust is definitely louder than all the other settings, but just no pops or bangs. I was wondering if they had made any changes on the 20 version of the N for the exhaust. Yes, exhaust is set for "sport +".
Does anyone have any input on this subject?

#3 ·
My 2020 makes copious amounts of pops & bangs, so I don’t think it has anything to do with the year of your car.

This could all be in my head, but I do feel like I get more pops & bangs when it’s cooler out. In the mornings when I drive to work it’s usually about 60-70 degrees, but by the afternoon we’re usually up in the triple digits. I still get the pops and bangs, but it seems like they aren’t as prevalent as they are in the morning. It is totally possible that I’m just zoned out, exhausted, and not paying attention later in the day...

What RPM are you shifting at?

#4 ·
My 2020 makes copious amounts of pops & bangs, so I don’t think it has anything to do with the year of your car.

This could all be in my head, but I do feel like I get more pops & bangs when it’s cooler out. In the mornings when I drive to work it’s usually about 60-70 degrees, but by the afternoon we’re usually up in the triple digits. I still get the pops and bangs, but it seems like they aren’t as prevalent as they are in the morning. It is totally possible that I’m just zoned out, exhausted, and not paying attention later in the day...

What RPM are you shifting at?
Darkhorse, I usually shift at around 3 grand, but when I'm getting on it...around 6 grand.

#5 · (Edited)
Pete, did you buy a Performance Package Veloster N? If it's not a PP, it's is the base model and it won't pop and crackle. the base model doesn't come with the, active exhaust.

Second, if it is a VN PP you'll need to be in N-Mode for it to work or set the N-Custom mode Exhaust setting to; N-Mode.

#7 ·
Yes, I own the Performance Package. I had it to the dealership and they acknowledge there is a problem. We are waiting to hear from corporate Hyundai for a fix, since everything checks out, i.e., car's computer, timing retardation upon throttle uplift at higher revs.
I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome.

#8 · (Edited)
I was called last Monday, the 30th of October, by my Hyundai dealership to bring my car back in to the dealer on Thursday, today, for my "N-mode" not operating properly.
I brought it in at about 9am this morning, and they gave me a loaner, 2019 Tucson. At around 3pm today, I received a call from Hyundai's service department. The Service Advisor, stated my car was repaired.
Jeff, the Advisor said, "It's popping and banging like it is supposed to, and throttle response is the way it should be in N-mode. You can come and get your car whenever it's convenient for you."
I picked up my Veloster N and WOW! Throttle response is the way my "sport mode" was, but now it works for N-mode. Sport mode, feels a little less responsive, again, the way it should've reacted when purchased. Also, my exhaust pops and bangs at higher RPMs when I shift or lift off the accelerator, exactly like what I've witnessed on all the YouTube videos watching other Veloster Ns.
The end result was that my technician did everything Hyundai told him to do, but nothing seemed to work any differently. The technician took it upon himself to reflash my computer, and that's what worked to make my car operate properly. I am very happy with the result. It's so much more fun to drive now!

#11 ·
Hey guys and gals, I just wanted to update this thread. My family has two 2020 Veloster Ns and my wife's blue one had stopped popping for the most part. Hers has about 4k miles on it. My son's white one is still popping like normal and it has about 17k miles on it. My wife took the blue one to the dealership and let them know what the issue was. I had her reference the fact that a technician flashed the ECU and was able to correct the issue from this board. They took the car out and revved the car in neutral (didn't take it for a drive) and said it was operating normally. They then proceeded to write a work order that told my wife to "READ THE MANUAL".

Needless to say I gave the General Manager of the dealership (real nice guy to me since we bought 2 of these cars) a call and we discussed this passive/aggressive note on the work order and he agreed to have the service department reflash the ECU for me as a courtesy. After the reflash the car is now working properly! All the original pops and crackles have come back. My wife also noticed that after driving home from the dealership, the fan stayed on. She noted that she can't remember the last time the fan stayed running after the car was parked. When we originally picked up the car new the fan used to stay on often after driving.

Just another +1 to stick up for yourself in a polite, but firm manner. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the ECU "learning" and it causing the car to eventually become a slug, but something obviously was different and was corrected with an ECU reflash (reset.)

-Sam

#12 ·
Hey Sam I made a comment in another post where we were talking about this and since then I gave it a few revs in neutral like you mentioned in the post before and washed my car I made sure to spray into the exhaust on the right side a little to see if I could get rid of some built up carbon thinking that might have effected the valve sticking partially open. Now a few days later it does seem to be better and I also wonder if the ECU changed because I was trying for a few days to see how much higher I could get the MPG to go on the dash so I started to baby it a little more and that's when I noticed the more muffled exhaust noise and less pops and bangs.

#17 ·
A lot of people including myself wanted a car that has everything stock without bolting a million things on. I plan on keeping the car for a long time and using the warranty when needed. That's not to say that a downpipe is automatically going to cause warranty issues but it certainly could.

#28 ·
The exhaust valves could be dirty. Run a bottle of red Heet water remover along with a bottle of Chevron Techron made for 12 gallons. I bet that cures your problem. Personally, I'd run 2 consecutive tank fulls. After that run 93 premium. Hope this helps?

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: RedVN
#29 ·
Check the Active Valve operation. One behind the car and one in the car switching the mode. Watch the operation. Flapper not operating it’s most likely the spring.

If it’s not operating as required, remove the solenoid, give the valve a good cleaning with brake cleaner and lubricate it. Check the spring and make sure it hasn’t broken. Clean the solenoid with a mild degreaser, dawn dish soap and a toothbrush with the ignition off and wiring harness disconnected. Reconnect and see if it operates correctly.👍🇺🇸

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.