Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watch videos and read the forums, but my 2020 N doesn't make any pops or bangs when shifting. My car is set for the loudest on the screen in the custom N mode, and even if I have it in the regular N mode, the exhaust never pops or backfires when I shift at higher RPMs. I mean the exhaust is definitely louder than all the other settings, but just no pops or bangs. I was wondering if they had made any changes on the 20 version of the N for the exhaust. Yes, exhaust is set for "sport +".
Does anyone have any input on this subject?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I watch videos and read the forums, but my 2020 N doesn't make any pops or bangs when shifting. My car is set for the loudest on the screen in the custom N mode, and even if I have it in the regular N mode, the exhaust never pops or backfires when I shift at higher RPMs. I mean the exhaust is definitely louder than all the other settings, but just no pops or bangs. I was wondering if they had made any changes on the 20 version of the N for the exhaust. Yes, exhaust is set for "sport +".
Does anyone have any input on this subject?
Car needs to be completely warmed up or driven a little.

On N Custom, engine and rev match should also be in sport+.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 2020 makes copious amounts of pops & bangs, so I don’t think it has anything to do with the year of your car.

This could all be in my head, but I do feel like I get more pops & bangs when it’s cooler out. In the mornings when I drive to work it’s usually about 60-70 degrees, but by the afternoon we’re usually up in the triple digits. I still get the pops and bangs, but it seems like they aren’t as prevalent as they are in the morning. It is totally possible that I’m just zoned out, exhausted, and not paying attention later in the day...

What RPM are you shifting at?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2020 makes copious amounts of pops & bangs, so I don’t think it has anything to do with the year of your car.

This could all be in my head, but I do feel like I get more pops & bangs when it’s cooler out. In the mornings when I drive to work it’s usually about 60-70 degrees, but by the afternoon we’re usually up in the triple digits. I still get the pops and bangs, but it seems like they aren’t as prevalent as they are in the morning. It is totally possible that I’m just zoned out, exhausted, and not paying attention later in the day...

What RPM are you shifting at?
Darkhorse, I usually shift at around 3 grand, but when I'm getting on it...around 6 grand.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Pete, did you buy a Performance Package Veloster N? If it's not a PP, it's is the base model and it won't pop and crackle. the base model doesn't come with the, active exhaust.

Second, if it is a VN PP you'll need to be in N-Mode for it to work or set the N-Custom mode Exhaust setting to; N-Mode.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I own the Performance Package. I had it to the dealership and they acknowledge there is a problem. We are waiting to hear from corporate Hyundai for a fix, since everything checks out, i.e., car's computer, timing retardation upon throttle uplift at higher revs.
I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was called last Monday, the 30th of October, by my Hyundai dealership to bring my car back in to the dealer on Thursday, today, for my "N-mode" not operating properly.
I brought it in at about 9am this morning, and they gave me a loaner, 2019 Tucson. At around 3pm today, I received a call from Hyundai's service department. The Service Advisor, stated my car was repaired.
Jeff, the Advisor said, "It's popping and banging like it is supposed to, and throttle response is the way it should be in N-mode. You can come and get your car whenever it's convenient for you."
I picked up my Veloster N and WOW! Throttle response is the way my "sport mode" was, but now it works for N-mode. Sport mode, feels a little less responsive, again, the way it should've reacted when purchased. Also, my exhaust pops and bangs at higher RPMs when I shift or lift off the accelerator, exactly like what I've witnessed on all the YouTube videos watching other Veloster Ns.
The end result was that my technician did everything Hyundai told him to do, but nothing seemed to work any differently. The technician took it upon himself to reflash my computer, and that's what worked to make my car operate properly. I am very happy with the result. It's so much more fun to drive now!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Great news! Sometimes, it just takes some additional and action though!! Without the ECU working correctly, you can't get the exhaust sound in N-Mode as it controls the amount of fuel being added to the cylinders, and affects the way the Anti-lag system operates.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great news! Sometimes, it just takes some additional and action though!! Without the ECU working correctly, you can't get the exhaust sound in N-Mode as it controls the amount of fuel being added to the cylinders, and affects the way the Anti-lag system operates.
As much as I liked it before the fix, I like even more now. So much fun.:confused: I didn't think it could get better, but it so much more enjoyable to drive.:devil:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts