Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!!!

About a month ago I purchased of a 2020 Veloster N And of course started tearing it apart.

I’ve come to the realization that perhaps I’m modding to a point of losing the programmed tuning. But I may be an idiot.

I installed the AEM intake, then the Boomba racing BOV. Car sounded great but had an odd flutter of the BOV valve with the slightest twitch of the gas pedal. I’ve read this may be fine. But if the back of my head I was more concerned about venting to atmosphere and losing pressure without the recirc stock BOV.

Yesterday my Velossa big mouth came in and I was super stoked to install it. In doing so I decided to replace the Boomba BOV with the stock BOV again to see if there was adifference.

amazingly after all the work I was blown away by something I didn’t expect. The car pooped or backfired unlike any time I’ve heard it before. Just single LOUD pops. I thought maybe to lean due to now having recirc air and the big mouth.

Finally in regards to the bov, the power, shifting and acceleration is much smoother thru the gears which I know is understandable.

My question is this. Am I adding components that are actually taking away from my tune!? Should I stick with stock intake and just the Big Mouth!? Is the BOV entirely just for sound!? And should I just buy aRacechip GTS Black instead?!

thanks a ton!!!!

·
Super Moderator
708 Posts
You are not adding components that will take away a factory tune. If anything you will enhance it. The power may come on later but that's not a bad thing. If you want better performance out of the the Boomba BOV, replace the solenoid too. A MAC solenoid is like 75 to 85 bucks. The stock BOV is known to flutter. If you want to cure that replace the solenoid. It makes the BOV release the air much more crisper. Hope this helped?

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
The BOV solenoid on this car and a couple other Hyundai models is known to be marginal. Replace it as Ghost said and see what happens. I have one sitting in my garage waiting on me to install it.

·
Super Moderator
708 Posts
You guy's will love the difference. It's subtle but noticeable! :)

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personally... I think the addition of the BOV and the Velossa Tech inlet don't add anything to the car. I would lose the BOV and put money towards mods that will make you a better driver. Shifter bushings for a crisper feel and lighter wheels and stickier tires will pay more dividends. BOV imo are a "hey look at me" sort of mod, but if that what you prefer then do you.

·
Super Moderator
708 Posts
Jay,

Although I agree to a point the BOV adds reliability. A brass piston VS a rubber diaphragm? I changed mine due to this, also mine is adjustable so it will hold boost a tad longer than the factory BOV does.

Also, the Velossa Tech DOES bring down IAT's a bit quicker too. And it creates static pressure inside an enclosed air box (Tekada Momentum) so that makes the turbo have less waste gate duty cycles which means it is operating much more efficient. All these little mods add up. I'd be willing to bet a car with these two mods will be quicker than with out them. Most people making 300 whp or close to it will agree with that. :)

Best regards,

-Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts