Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone been lurking here recently and decided to join. I have an opportunity to pick up an N 27,400 if manual and about 30,000 if DCT. Plus tax and title of course, this seems like a good deal yeah? I find it hard to pass up! My previous car was a 5th gen camaro v6 supercharged and prepped with aero and suspension for the track and autoX. Rolled around in a dad car these last few years and I’ve got the itch again. It would be a daily, but my question is the what would be better for road course/autoX with this platform? I’d like to hear from owners who maybe do both but have the different options! I find it fun to row my own but some of the things I’ve read about the DCT seem fantastic!

·
Registered
2022 VN Phantom Black DCT
15 Posts
I say test drive both for more than 5-10 min if possible. I'm a manual transmission advocate and I went with the DCT ! I have a 2022 and I'm at 5500km (3417 miles ) and I do not have a single regret! Did my break in period in 4 days flushed the oil and was on the track on the 5th day. Did 10 lapping days so far with it and it is a rewarding car, super fun, handles very well. I'm faster than my buddy's Civic Type R on our track. Manual ones are slower on the same track compared to DCT... it only goes down to what you expect to do and from the car really. Either case, manual or DC you'll love this car!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I say test drive both for more than 5-10 min if possible. I'm a manual transmission advocate and I went with the DCT ! I have a 2022 and I'm at 5500km (3417 miles ) and I do not have a single regret! Did my break in period in 4 days flushed the oil and was on the track on the 5th day. Did 10 lapping days so fat with it and it is a rewarding car, super fun, handles very well. I'm faster than my buddy's Civic Type R on our track. Manual ones are slower on the same track compared to DCT... it only goes down to what you expect to do and from the car really. Either case, manual or DC you'll love this car!
That’s what I keep hearing from everyone and it’s so exciting. I’m a big advocate for manual as well my camaro was a stick. I’m lucky enough to work at a dealer as a service advisor, so I will definitely be testing both. My heart says manual but my Brian is saying I would learn more on track by being able to focus with DCT and using N mode with the paddles. It’s a hard decision!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Here's a term that I could stop worrying about with the DCT... "Money Shift". Even if you do it with the paddles, it won't let you if the RPMs will be too high for that gear.

And... if the RPMs drop low enough within 1 second, it will remember the shift input and execute it.

And... there is enough other things to worry about on track. For example, I had no idea that lift off oversteer is such a big deal with this car. You really have to stay in the throttle on curves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a term that I could stop worrying about with the DCT... "Money Shift". Even if you do it with the paddles, it won't let you if the RPMs will be too high for that gear.

And... if the RPMs drop low enough within 1 second, it will remember the shift input and execute it.

And... there is enough other things to worry about on track. For example, I had no idea that lift off oversteer is such a big deal with this car. You really have to stay in the throttle on curves.
I heard it can be unresponsive in normal mode for track days but even in N mode it won’t let you freely select gears when you want to?

·
Registered
2022 VN Phantom Black DCT
15 Posts
Maybe in normal mode but in N mode, you change gear as YOU wish ! Never had a problem changing gear when I wanted to... sleep tight on this one 😉

·
Registered
239 Posts
Never tried normal mode on track. I don't know why anyone would leave it in normal mode except just for experimentation.

The only time it over-rides your gear change is when you're downshifting with the RPMs too high. I'm glad it does. Otherwise, shifts are instant and crisp. Sometimes even harsh if you have PowerShift on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never tried normal mode on track. I don't know why anyone would leave it in normal mode except just for experimentation.

The only time it over-rides your gear change is when you're downshifting with the RPMs too high. I'm glad it does. Otherwise, shifts are instant and crisp. Sometimes even harsh if you have PowerShift on.
Oh well that just makes sense, correct me if I’m wrong but if your in high RPMS and you downshift a gear that’s going to make your RPMS shoot up. I would think that delay would be a function of a fail safe as to not over rev the motor for a given speed. I think I would be happy if the DCT allows me to quickly, smoothly and freely select my gears. If there’s other DCT drivers on track that report slow or delayed shifting in N mode then I’ll just go for the manual

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you want to push times on a track, DCT hands down. I love my manual, anyone with a DCT would destroy me on a track or in a straight line. I'm ok with this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want to push times on a track, DCT hands down. I love my manual, anyone with a DCT would destroy me on a track or in a straight line. I'm ok with this.
I guess I’m just trying to see if anyone with a DCT has been punishing it for a a couple track days now and seeing if it’s holding up strong, I don’t think I could go wrong either way. But purely from a performance perspective the DCT seems like the way to go. For back road fun and the occasional track day the manual might be a better option.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
29 Posts
I guess I’m just trying to see if anyone with a DCT has been punishing it for a a couple track days now and seeing if it’s holding up strong, I don’t think I could go wrong either way. But purely from a performance perspective the DCT seems like the way to go. For back road fun and the occasional track day the manual might be a better option.
It's fine. The car is designed to run on track. I think there is even a notice in the US saying the car is covered for warranty even if used on track.

Still gotta do all the maintenance things and all that. Consumables are obviously going to consume at an elevated rate. Need good oil and good brake fluid. If you mostly just wanna try it have at it, it's a lot of fun. If you're gonna do it a lot, then learn to budget for the maintenance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's fine. The car is designed to run on track. I think there is even a notice in the US saying the car is covered for warranty even if used on track.

Still gotta do all the maintenance things and all that. Consumables are obviously going to consume at an elevated rate. Need good oil and good brake fluid. If you mostly just wanna try it have at it, it's a lot of fun. If you're gonna do it a lot, then learn to budget for the maintenance.
I’m ok with that and accept that. I do have an advantage as I’m a service advisor at a dealer. If the car needs something it’ll be taken care of quickly and correctly with OE parts. And yes there is a “track” assurance warranty which is my main reason for buying the car I got that printed out incase I ever need it the other day. But I don’t see too much difficulty in getting things warrantied. Hyundai is fantastic about standing by warranties, I deal with it every day! I can honestly say as a brand this is the best dealer experience I’ve ever been a part of. Of course that has a lot to do with Our owners as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts