Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know I have written two articles on tuning the Mando unit and finding an appropriate comfort setting. My initial thoughts were that the car needed more damping in the rear to produce more of a flat ride and be more enjoyable.

We have established the softer (lower in numerical value) we set the Ride Feature the softer the car will be; and the firmer, (higher in numerical value) we set the Ride feature, the firmer the car will be.

After another 2 hours of testing on a 2 mile course over various single holes and bumps followed by multiple potholes I have come to find the ideal values are the Rear Needs to be damped at a rate of 1.2-1.5x the front.

I will include the excel chart I made so you can have the starting value and the appropriate value 1.2-1.5x adjusted from there. This way you do not have to do the math.

Do not take this as gospel but also understand I am really close here and I need you all for testing, trial and error, feedback.

So far: I have concluded that there are 3 levels of settings that need to be understood.

Level 1 - The Front Ride Setting being below the number 10. (For this - the Rear can be multiplied up to 1.5x.)
Level 2 - Any Front Ride setting between 10-20. (For this - the Rear Ride can be multiplied 1.3-1.5x)
Level 3 - Any Front Ride setting between 20-30. (For this - the Rear Ride needs to be multiplied 1.2-1.3x)

The lower your starting value up to (10) the bigger increase you can get away with for rear firmness setting. Once you start increasing the Front Ride the gap for the Rear needs to begin to come down.

What changes between 0/10/20/30? ALOT. A WHOLE LOT. The biggest jump on the Mando isnt from 60-100 but 0-30. It is insane how much complexity is there.

What determines the ideal settings?

1. The the number of continuous bumps you are encountering
2. The speed at which you are driving.

You need to go on the same course over and over to understand what I am talking about.

Pick a starting Value F10/R15. And go over a course at various speeds. Then use the same 1.5x but start at a higher Front ride number like 20. You will see one part of the drive becomes better and another becomes worse. However, keep the high starting value, and take the ratio to 1.2x and you will see the car behave more efficiently.

Doing these test will allow you to use the Custom Feature and create your own menus based upon where you drive.

Honestly - after 2 hours of testing I was extremely frustrated because I had so many more ideas as the test and values kept unfolding. Being present for 2 plus hours and in tune w every feeling was exhausting mentally. As much as I was tired, I was also encouraged, optimistic, and inquisitive for future test.

I know this isnt enough detail but I do not have more to give you at this time. Give me a few more weeks of testing- but more than anything - you please test on your own.

Blessings,
-JE

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1 - 2 of 2 Posts