Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I called Sxth Element for some information on this kit, and emailed back and forth with Nathan, who said it was ok to share the information. He was super helpful and responsive.

The kit includes everything you need to do the install, except the brake lines, which you just reuse the stock ones.
The calipers mount radially rather than lug mount.
Pads are the same compound as used on the N Performance setup.
The combo of 4 piston caliper with 355mm rotor is a direct match for the stock setup in terms of brake balance.
Pad thickness is yet unknown.
Replacement rotor ring costs are yet unknown.
They’ll be placing an order around 2/25 and delivery after that is roughly 35-45 days.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
which you just reuse the stock ones.
Please, just a clarification if you don't mind; I believe all compatible aftermarket braided lines for the VN can be utilized as well. All line attachment points are the same in diameter and thread pattern, as the OEM units and the same for aftermarket units

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would assume aftermarket would fit just fine given that the stock ones are reported to be reused. Nathan actually recommended buying aftermarket lines from Genracer.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
37 Posts
I called Sxth Element for some information on this kit, and emailed back and forth with Nathan, who said it was ok to share the information. He was super helpful and responsive.

The kit includes everything you need to do the install, except the brake lines, which you just reuse the stock ones.
The calipers mount radially rather than lug mount.
Pads are the same compound as used on the N Performance setup.
The combo of 4 piston caliper with 355mm rotor is a direct match for the stock setup in terms of brake balance.
Pad thickness is yet unknown.
Replacement rotor ring costs are yet unknown.
They’ll be placing an order around 2/25 and delivery after that is roughly 35-45 days.
So if I wanted to buy brake pads I would only have to go to the dealership and ask for regular N pads? Even if I bought the 6 piston caliper?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if I wanted to buy brake pads I would only have to go to the dealership and ask for regular N pads? Even if I bought the 6 piston caliper?
No, that wouldn’t work. You’d need the correct pads for the 6 piston caliper. Hyundai doesn’t sell those in the US as far as I know, unless there is an interchange. Many brake pad shapes have equivalents, though. Might be able to find an aftermarket matching pattern. Or, source them directly from Mando.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Hyundai OEM's utilizes single puck pads. These are produced by Mando who is a subsidiary contractor of Hyundai and produces other Hyundai OEm parts.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hyundai OEM's utilizes single puck pads. These are produced by Mando who is a subsidiary contractor of Hyundai and produces other Hyundai OEm parts.
Wow, didn’t know that. Thanks, Red! So, FunNGames, I’d still bet that you can find something aftermarket that’ll fit since Hyundai isn’t the only one who uses pucks. Off the top of my head, I know some Corvette calipers do, too. Best bet would be to do measurements of the new pads and check around with Carbotech, Hawk, Stoptech, etc. to see if they have something matching.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
37 Posts
Wow, didn’t know that. Thanks, Red! So, FunNGames, I’d still bet that you can find something aftermarket that’ll fit since Hyundai isn’t the only one who uses pucks. Off the top of my head, I know some Corvette calipers do, too. Best bet would be to do measurements of the new pads and check around with Carbotech, Hawk, Stoptech, etc. to see if they have something matching.
Thank you! I’m just worried when I buy these at some point I won’t be able to find pads. But I will totally do that! 😁

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you! I’m just worried when I buy these at some point I won’t be able to find pads. But I will totally do that! 😁
I’m a bit worried too, but when my set comes in I’m going to do some pad measurements and check around to see what’s available here. Chances are something is, and if not, since pads don’t wear out overnight, or even after 1 track day, lead time for replacements from Korea will be manageable.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will you be purchasing the 6 pot? With 380mm rotors? I want them even if it is overkill
Nah, I went with 4 piston, 355mm. Want to be able to run 18” wheels, and also want to keep brake bias same as with the stock configuration. Can’t imagine I’ll ever have the need or talent for the 6 pot, 380mm set, but that setup would sure look good!

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
37 Posts
Nah, I went with 4 piston, 355mm. Want to be able to run 18” wheels, and also want to keep brake bias same as with the stock configuration. Can’t imagine I’ll ever have the need or talent for the 6 pot, 380mm set, but that setup would sure look good!
I am a function over form kinda guy. I bought a set of 18 wheels. I had no idea the 4 piston would fit 18 inch wheels. Thank you I’m totally going for them now.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am a function over form kinda guy. I bought a set of 18 wheels. I had no idea the 4 piston would fit 18 inch wheels. Thank you I’m totally going for them now.
The number of pistons is only somewhat related to whether the brake setup will fit your wheels. The rotor diameter determines where the caliper is placed, and the size and shape of the caliper determines wheel fitment. In general, 355mm rotors are about the limit for 18” wheels. You really need a template to confirm fitment if using anything other than OEM wheels. Though, based on Sxth saying that the 4/355 setup will fit stock 18” wheels, you can make an educated guess about fitment if your 18” set has the same or better caliper clearance than stock.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
236 Posts
@Chuckable so cool that you bought this. Looking forward to how they do. I might need to jump on these next year. I asked Nathan on pad sizing to find alternative pads. I doubt the pads that will come with the kit will be track pads. It might be similar compound to the stock pads since these are the N Performance brakes. I would love to run some Pagid or Gloc on these calipers. I hope they picked a standard 4 piston pad size. Then the number of options will be huge!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Chuckable so cool that you bought this. Looking forward to how they do. I might need to jump on these next year. I asked Nathan on pad sizing to find alternative pads. I doubt the pads that will come with the kit will be track pads. It might be similar compound to the stock pads since these are the N Performance brakes. I would love to run some Pagid or Gloc on these calipers. I hope they picked a standard 4 piston pad size. Then the number of options will be huge!
Just got word that they’re shipping out of Korea today!
I asked about the pads as well, and was told that they are similar to the factory pads, so not track pads, but probably up to some light track work.
When I receive the calipers. I plan on pulling the pads out, measuring them, and checking around to see if there are any alternatives here. I really hope so because sourcing pads from Korea will not be cheap or easy.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got these in today, and wanted to post some initial pictures and information. I went with the 4-piston calipers with 355mm rotors.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts