Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shark Racing in South Korea now has the Maintec downpipe available for the VN. It's an extremely well manufactures downpipe that retain the OEM heat shields. Bolts up to either the OEM or aftermarket exhaust. Utilizes a 200 cell Racing Cat, additional heat shield, and affordable;

·
Super Moderator
1,722 Posts
That sure is purdy!!! What are you going to do with your old one?

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sure is purdy!!! What are you going to do with your old one?

Br,

-Mike
Save it as back up if I go for a larger hybrid turbo. The larger diameter downpipe isn't needed for the small OEM Turbo. It can't take advantage of the increase in scavenge capability of the larger diameter downpipe. A bit of back pressure is needed for low end response from the OEM Turbo. The larger downpipe is made primarily for higher rpm operation. I'm driving it more around as a daily than track use and not at WOT or higher rpms. So a small adjustment is needed for better throttle response.:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
How does it sound? Did it fit in there nice? Butt-dyno feel any gains? And lastly did it set off and codes/have all the spots for sensors?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Quite good with a Borla Exhaust. (I'll do a sound clip and post it later.) I can't attest to tsound of the OEM exhaust, with the Maintec Downpipe installed. No butt dynos for me. On the dyno, it gained peak of 25 whp and 22 whp @ just before redline adjusted for my altitude. No CEL, as I utilized a PROSPORT Mini Cat O2 Sensor CEL FIX (90°);

The Maintec Downpipe utilizes a 200 CEL Racing Cat and can also be had without.

Being able to re-fitting OEM heat shields, is always a plus. It fits like the OEM unit and there is no squirreling around with the pipe, to get it into place. It can be utilized with the OEM flex pipe or an aftermarket.

It's a reasonably priced downpipe, with quality manufacturing. Additionally, Maintec is located in South Korea and builds performance parts for KDM auto.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N PP
138 Posts
Save it as back up if I go for a larger hybrid turbo. The larger diameter downpipe isn't needed for the small OEM Turbo. It can't take advantage of the increase in scavenge capability of the larger diameter downpipe. A bit of back pressure is needed for low end response from the OEM Turbo. The larger downpipe is made primarily for higher rpm operation. I'm driving it more around as a daily than track use and not at WOT or higher rpms. So a small adjustment is needed for better throttle response.:)
I'm a little confused. What do you mean by "So a small adjustment is needed for better throttle response."? Please forgive me if I'm a little thick. First time for me doing this type of tuner stuff, but thanks for everything so far. :)

Bill

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Small adjustment in the DP exit diameter. A larger exit diameter from the DP allows the exhaust pulse to escape to quickly, decreasing back pressure and reducing low to mid range performance. The retention of some back pressure enhances low-mid range performance.

·
Super Moderator
1,722 Posts
The DP I have is 3" and is 3" all the way till the muffler. That is stock... Both the DP and the mid have a Jet-Hot coating too. I love this set up. It's fun!!!!

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: Van Oster

·
Registered
5 Posts
RedVN,

I see your in Fl. can you recommend a source for a DP install and what would be your best choice for a DP and a larger intercooler?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
No I’m not in Florida, sorry.

I started the thread if you’ll go back and review it, I’ve already provided my personal selection and recommendations as to why.

I use a Forge Motorsport FMIC as I worked with them on the development for the VN.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
44 Posts
Shark Racing in South Korea now has the Maintec downpipe available for the VN. It's an extremely well manufactures downpipe that retain the OEM heat shields. Bolts up to either the OEM or aftermarket exhaust. Utilizes a 200 cell Racing Cat, additional heat shield, and affordable;
View attachment 3947 View attachment 3948 View attachment 3949 View attachment 3950 View attachment 3952 View attachment 3951 View attachment 3953
Hey Red, I have been doing a lot of reading and I think this is the DP I am leaning towards atm. I'm not planning to change out my turbo anytime soon (maybe after the warranty runs out) but I just want a bit louder sound and see a small return in HP. I was also looking at the aFe DP but this is one makes a quite a bit of sense after reading your write-up! I was wondering if I need to buy anything else to have on hand for the install besides the PROSPORT Mini Cat O2 Sensor CEL fix?

For reference, I have the 2021 DCT and currently have the Ark performance non-resonated midpipe install, I use this mainly just a daily driver.

Any info is greatly appreciated as I am new to modding and don't know as much about cars as a lot of guys on here. :LOL:

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Purchase a new gasket and studs APR studs 10 x 1.25 M48, O2 Sensor Wrench Kit, PROSPORT Mini Cat O2 Sensor Extender.
You get an excellent hp return from the pipe without compromising on low end and midrange hp/tq. For what it's worth, it's one of the best downpipes available for the VN, especially with the use of the OEM exhaust.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
44 Posts
Purchase a new gasket and studs APR studs 10 x 1.25 M48, O2 Sensor Wrench Kit, PROSPORT Mini Cat O2 Sensor Extender.
You get an excellent hp return from the pipe without compromising on low end and midrange hp/tq. For what it's worth, it's one of the best downpipes available for the VN, especially with the use of the OEM exhaust.
For the extender, you mean this right? Mini Cat O2 Sensor CEL Eliminator, Mini Catalytic converter Check engine light fix – Prosport Gauges

Also, think this will be fine? Amazon.com: ITEQ 5 Pcs Automotive Oxygen Sensor Socket Wrench Remover Tool and Thread Chaser Set: Automotive

Should I use some high-heat Loctite or something on the bolts for this? I'm already considering getting the Jet hot coat on the pipe.

Appreciate your feedback, I do plan to use the stock axel back but I do have the ARK Mid-pipe installed, I hope this doesn't make it obnoxiously loud lol.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First one , Yes.

Second one, Yes.

Third one, Yes.

Fourth one, Yes, & WD 40 penetrating fluid.

Fifth one, optional our choice not mandatory by any means.

No it won't, not excessively but you'll notice more pops and bangs from the exhaust.:D (y).

When you get to the removal give me a shout. You'll use a double numt method for removal of the OEM studs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts