Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I was driving on the highway and I noticed that my torque gauge was a bit higher than normal, hovering just around 75ft-lbs while using cruise control at about 80mph. I thought it was pretty weird, so I turned off my cruise control and I immediately felt like I was braking. I tried holding me speed without cruise control, but I saw the same thing, higher levels of torque just to hold my speed at 80mph. I then noticed my oil temp was higher than normal, or above the 200° halfway point. The only other time I had seen my oil above 200° was when I travel my car. After the drive I also noticed a massive change in my gas mileage, this highway trip using much more gas then it normally did (it is a trip I make frequently as I was going to my parents lake house) so I checked my cars estimated MPG and it was all the way down at 23mph. This behavior continued and no matter what mode I put the car in our how easily I tried to drive it, I couldn't get more than about 23-24mpg and kept seeing my car working extra hard just to hold at high speeds or accelerate at all at higher speeds and if I don't keep my foot down on the gas the car would allow down. After dealing with this for a bit I decided I would have my dealership take a look at it and see why I lost so much MPG and why my car felt as if it was always braking. After a ride with a "technician" aka a 20-year-old kid that definitely gets paid $15/hr to change oil, he said maybe it was a transmission thing. I then scheduled an appointment to have the car put on their diagnostic system and see if it was throwing any codes or if anything else was out of whack. Not so surprisingly they found nothing out of sorts and said that the major drop in fuel economy was due to "additives in the fuel for the winter months" even though it was only September... I kinda stopped worrying about it for a bit until I was reading some more posts on here and people were saying they were getting 30-34mpg on average and 28-30 in N mode. One of the other things the dealership said was they had never serviced any N before so they didn't really know what kind of baseline to compare my car to so I wanted to see if anyone else here is having an issue like this and also what is your average MPG? I even had my own very experienced mechanic drive it and he didn't seem to think anything was weird but to not being able to get my gas mileage above 24mpg when most of my driving is done commuting to work on a highway is very weird to me. The oil is consistently above 200 every time I drive on the highway as well, even as the weather in the northeast is getting pretty chilly. Any advice is welcome if not just data from your cars so I can go back to the dealership with a bit more ammo and see if they’ll actually have someone with mechanical knowledge take a look.
Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
What you describe is an increase in drag over what you were used to. Dragging the hand brake or other brake component comes to mind, but I am pretty sure that you would smell that and see other indications. I would then suspect tires. A simple thing you can do it put it up on jack stands in neutral and spin the wheels. Do they feel free? That would eliminate a braking malfunction. I assume you are good with your tire pressures; 38 / 35 cold. If the transmission was dragging, how I do not know, I would expect the fluid would be dark. That is an easy check too. I would start with a simple process of elimination. I easily get 28+ mpg speeding on the highway and I have seen above 30 mpg highway driving sanely (wife in car). My oil temps are in the 200+ range once I have been driving for awhile. I consider that normal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You're oil temperatures seem about standard on these cars. I average 200*F in town, and 220*F on the highway, regardless of whether it's 100 out, or 15. Your mileage definitely seems off though; I manage ~33 mpg on the highway at 80 mph, ~30 at 90 mph, and ~28 at 100 mph. My commute is almost entirely highway, so I unfortunately don't have any good numbers to give for city driving.

One thing you may want to do is get up to highway speed, and then coast in neutral, and see if it feels any different from coasting in 6th. It's an overdrive gear so you should have almost no engine braking in that gear, so they should feel very similar to each other. It'll give you an idea of whether you have a transmission issue, or if its further down in the drive-train. My car will definitely coast without issue, so a noticeable drag means something is definitely up.

·
Super Moderator
1,002 Posts
I average between 26 and 28 mpg with a combo of city and highway, and that is driving faster than normal. Have you switched oil weight? I went from 0W30 to 5W30 and my gas mileage dropped a little bit. Before the switch it was 28 to 30 mpg. I know it's not much but if all else checks out?.....

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you switched oil weight? I went from 0W30 to 5W30 and my gas mileage dropped a little bit.
I switched to Pennzoil 5W30 Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic. This is the high desert, so its cold at night and hot during the day, and 5W30 is a better suited weight of oil for our temperature ranges, than the factory weight is. Personally, I don't like anything under 5W40, but it's a new car and I'd like to see what others try and how it works, before I go around switching things around too much.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I average between 26 and 28 mpg with a combo of city and highway, and that is driving faster than normal. Have you switched oil weight? I went from 0W30 to 5W30 and my gas mileage dropped a little bit. Before the switch it was 28 to 30 mpg. I know it's not much but if all else checks out?.....

Best regards,

-Mike
I would not think the lower (cold) number would have anything to do with mileage. It is the upper (hot) number that can affect mileage. I run 0w-40 in my BK1. It seems to run better, but there was probably a slight mileage loss with the heavier oil. But 2 mpg? I have to respectfully challenge that. I recently purchased 5w-30 at Wally World because it met the required specifications. There was no 0w-30 as I recall. They had 0w-20 and 0w-40 (for my Gen Coupe), but those are not recommended weights for the N.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@AgingYoungster_PA I bought some redline trans oil and am about to put that in so I'll see if the oil looks dark at all, maybe save some of it and bring it in. I'll try the jack stands and neutral that's a good idea and thank you for the info
@SamanthaKnowsAll thank you for the info to compare! Another good idea with checking neutral vs 6th on the highway I'll give that a try too.
@Ghost ya I've got 5w-30 in it but as said doubt that's doing it

·
Registered
9 Posts
You're oil temperatures seem about standard on these cars. I average 200*F in town, and 220*F on the highway, regardless of whether it's 100 out, or 15. Your mileage definitely seems off though; I manage ~33 mpg on the highway at 80 mph, ~30 at 90 mph, and ~28 at 100 mph. My commute is almost entirely highway, so I unfortunately don't have any good numbers to give for city driving.

One thing you may want to do is get up to highway speed, and then coast in neutral, and see if it feels any different from coasting in 6th. It's an overdrive gear so you should have almost no engine braking in that gear, so they should feel very similar to each other. It'll give you an idea of whether you have a transmission issue, or if its further down in the drive-train. My car will definitely coast without issue, so a noticeable drag means something is definitely up.
Those mpgs are whoa! Are you always driving downhill ;)

For real, what's your secret?!?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Those mpgs are whoa! Are you always driving downhill ;)

For real, what's your secret?!?
Probably the fact I hit highway speeds less than several minutes after taking off, and only have a few blocks of city driving after getting off the highway. For every 100 miles I drive, only a quarter to half a mile of that is off-highway driving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Probably the fact I hit highway speeds less than several minutes after taking off, and only have a few blocks of city driving after getting off the highway. For every 100 miles I drive, only a quarter to half a mile of that is off-highway driving.
Good point, but 33 mpg at 80 mph and 30 at 90 is stunning. Are you stock? Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good point, but 33 mpg at 80 mph and 30 at 90 is stunning. Are you stock? Thanks!
I only have minor mods right now; AddW1 v3.3 catch can; TTR upper and lower mounts, the upgraded Homelink rear-view mirror. Nothing that would affect fuel mileage. Maybe just natural variation in the manufacturing of the motor?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I’m lucky if I get 28mpg and I commute mostly on the freeway for work lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m lucky if I get 28mpg and I commute mostly on the freeway for work lol
Although I would imagine it'd have a negative effect on mileage instead of positive, it may be related to the fact that this is the high desert. We're nothing but mountains and valleys, with the lowest point being 4500+ ft, and we're constantly hovering at 1-2% humidity.

Edit: A quick search shows that modern EFI systems actually run more efficiently at high altitude, because the thinner atmosphere and less oxygen means they significantly lean the fuel mixture out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've gotten 34.5mpg (according to the cluster) before driving to the mall from my house. All city driving, no highway. I was curious one day how efficient the motor could be. Drove very easy and predicted slow downs ahead of time where possible.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When I moved to Albuquerque, which is a mile high city, my gas mileage went up noticeably. My power went down noticeably too. Yes, high altitudes will yield better mileage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What is this exactly?
Hyundai makes a kit to upgrade the rear-view mirror in several different models. The upgraded mirror supports auto-dimming, a compass, Homelink (built-in multi-signal garage door opener) and Bluelink (which the factory mirror already supports).

Here's the thread about it and here's the actual mirror kit. For the cost and work involved, I would say it was definitely worth it.

·
Super Moderator
1,002 Posts
Well there is a thread around here that someone did an oil analysis of the 0W30 we are supposed to use. After about 5000 miles the oil was a consistency of 0W20. Also, when I poured the 0W30 out VS the 5W30, the 5W30 IS thicker. If it's thicker it will affect gas mileage. How much has yet to be determined. It's probably different for each kind of motor too. I am in no way saying that is the issue with the gas mileage for the VN either, just something else to look at. I honestly think a heavy foot has more to do with it than anything else. lol....

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
105 Posts
Cold the 5w should be a bit thicker than the 0w. Once warmed-up, in theory, the 30w part should be consistent with other oil brands. I might be splitting hairs here. I felt that since I will not be taking it out in the cold weather, the 5w-30 should be fine. Next year I will order 18" rims and some performance all-seasons.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm changing the engine and trans oil today, putting redline MT-LV and mobile 1 5w-30 ESP (dexos2, ACEA C2/C3, API SN,SM). I tried going from 6th to neutral on the highway and there was no difference, with the factory g-force sensor up it was about .5-.7 of a G of braking force in both gears so I'm thinking it's something with my brakes or wheel bearings. Car will be jacked up today so I'll see if they spin freely or not.
That mirror is sweet....I don't park it in a garage but the auto dimming and compass are worth it alone imo. Do you have to take the headliner off? Anyone have an install video?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts