Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RR PP
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from my trip from FL and decided to do some maintenance and cleanup.

I'm seeing oil coming from a lot of housing areas. Anybody have any clue what might be wrong?

Grey Wood Automotive exterior Wall Road surface

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tire Rim Gas Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Fender Gas Bumper

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

Hood Automotive tire Tread Asphalt Fender

·
Registered
2020 RR PP
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I see the hot pipe not going over the indent on the part connecting to the turbo. I will of course fix this but need to know if anything else could be the cause like busted turbo seals or anything.

Leak from each side of the couplings from the intercooler to throttle body and turbo.

Also, need to know how I should go about cleaning out these parts or if I should go back to stock for now.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
The oil may be coming from the pcv getting sucked into the intake and through the turbo. This is what I suspect right off the top of my head.

What CC are you utilizing again? WD-1? You had some issues with this before if I recall.

Check the Intake tube and the air box if your utilizing a closed box like the AFE. If the bottom of the box is coated as well as the intake tube, if can be an indicator of either a PCV or turbo seal issue.

Sort out the easiest first, this will be the CC and PCV.

No problem there move onto to the turbocharger.

Pull the intake tube and 90 bend to examine the impeller end play. Are you blowing any smoke out the exhaust? If not, I doubt it a turbocharger.

These are the problems generally associated with oil in the FMIC;
  • Very high oil pressure
  • Blocked air filter intake
  • Wrong gaskets
  • A trapped or twisted oil return pipe
  • Clogged air filter
  • Damaged turbo parts
  • Bad core
  • Plugged PCV
  • Improperly installed CC 👍🇺🇸

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
To clean the FMIC and associated tubing it has to be removed. Then use a degreaser like Dawn kitchen soap or a non-corrosive degreaser. Plug one end and let it soak. Then wash out and blow out with compressed air. Let hbd FMIC set out in the sun to dry out completely. Same with the hoses and tubing.

Is the BOV purging properly?

Are you running just the PCV side CC and not the CCV side?

·
Registered
2020 RR PP
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I posted a pic of the catch can setup. I think it's pvc side only.

I don't think the bov is purging properly.

I'm going to revert to stock while I clean the fmic and revert plugs, ecu and bov and take it to the dealer to check the turbo seals and see if they can do any flushes or leak tests if you think that's a good idea.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I posted a pic of the catch can setup. I think it's pvc side only.

I don't think the bov is purging properly.

I'm going to revert to stock while I clean the fmic and revert plugs, ecu and bov and take it to the dealer to check the turbo seals and see if they can do any flushes or leak tests if you think that's a good idea.
You can if this is what you’d like to do. Checking the end play and impeller movement is a simple task. You can also see if there is oil present in the housing. Is the car smoking?

·
Registered
2020 RR PP
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yesthe BOOST CONTROL SOLENOID is correct.

BOV not purging correctly, in what way please describe?
Great about the boost solenoid. Sorry to ask so much, but what about the catch can.

As far as the bov goes, im not adept enough to properly articulate my "concerns". I hear pressure release when i put the throttle at about 80% or more. Thay may be normal tho.

You can if this is what you’d like to do. Checking the end play and impeller movement is a simple task. You can also see if there is oil present in the housing. Is the car smoking?
I only want to because I'm not sure if I need to clean anything aside from the fmic and piping.

No smoke. Do you have any videos I can reference for checking the end play and impeller housing along with where to look for oil in the turbo housing? I'd imagine I need to disconnect the top downpipe which I wasn't going to revert as that is unlikely the cause of the issue....Hopefully

·
Registered
2020 RR PP
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shoe Automotive tire Tread Automotive wheel system Muffler

Inside of where the hot pipe connects to turbo looks clean. I'm assuming the leak there was from the clamp loosening up.

The hot pipe to intercooler had very little oil.

Most oil seems to be coming from the cold side pipe coupling on the intercooler and bov. I think the bov may be bad.

Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Jeans Leg Automotive tire Plant Light

I'm going to remove the intercooler and check for damages. This vehicle was wrecked so maybe something happened at that time tho I doubt it. It just never hurts to check.

·
Registered
2020 RR PP
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay so I'm sticking with the forge full fmic except the bov. Going to stock and recirculating for that. Soaking all pipes, clamps and couplings now and cleaning all excess oil under the hood so I can see if any leaks persist.

Now back to my original plan of readjusting the jbend for the lower o2 sensor while those get cleaned up.

·
Registered
2020 RR PP
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just wanted to add in, the depo dp sucks and I hate it. Fitment on the flanges are garbage and the gaskets are useless along with the bolts. Really the only thing I like is the price. Quality isn't horrible but not the best. Probably better than afe Downpipe that is now extinct tho. Hah.

Use oem gaskets for the exhaust mid pipe to cat back and the same one for the flex to downpipe along with oem turbo gasket.

The bolts suck too. I think I could have gone bigger but k believe I used m10x1.5 bolts with a flanged nut and washer. Ensuring proper fitment with the stock gaskets was a pain but worth it. Will post the gaskets they came with after 2k miles shortly once I finish reinstall.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I’ll get back with you in a bit. Going to church and I can properly address your questions and concerns then.

If the Forge Motorsport BOV is purging at 80% throttle it’s functioning correctly.

PS, make sure you check the PCV for proper functionality. This can cause such issues. Did the oil smell like it had fuel in it?👍🇺🇸

·
Registered
2020 RR PP
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pvc seems to proper functionally. I think the forge bov released at 100% throttle but was hard to hear with my exhaust setup

Did not smell any fuel in the oil.

·
Registered
2020 RR PP
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fixed this a while back. Pretty sure it was just loose couplings allowing oil to escape. Completely took apart all my FMIC mods, cleaned them up, put em back and haven't had this issue since reported early April.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts