Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

First post on the forum. Recently accepted a job with a long highway commute, 45+ miles one way. Will wade through the ohio winter with my Legacy, but want something a little more engaging moving forward. I've recently gotten very interested in the N, had an early 2000s civic and it sounds like the current si's still have the rev hang and latent throttle response so that's off.

Questions:
1. How does the N feel on long drives in general? Obviously the 19" rims will be 17 or 18s fairly quickly which will help some.
2. Is the interior prone to creaks and rattles with regards to all the hard plastics with age?
3. Seats...good for long drives?
4. Interior seemed roomy enough, for the bigger guys (I'm 6'1" 225), does it stay roomy feeling with time?

Think that's it for now, thanks in advance all!
fuseven

·
Registered
132 Posts
Welcome...

I got my VN back in October. My commute isn't, well... WASN'T very far, but if you know Atlanta traffic, you know that even a 20 mile commute can be a 2 hour drive sometimes. Thanks to the quarantine, I've been working from home since March. So, I can't say much about daily commutes. I do sometimes miss the comfier seat that my Genesis Coupe had. Still, I don't mind the VN for the commute. I've also made several 3+ hour trips in the VN without any fatigue.

So...

1) Not much to complain about. The VN drives easy in Eco mode and, if you want to pass a left-lane slow-poke you can do so easily while at the same time putting a grin on your face. ;) (I also went with 18" wheels and all-season tires; mostly for the comfort but also for the 30 days out of the year we get down to freezing temps.)
2) I haven't had mine long enough (or put enough miles on it) to develop any creaks or rattles. I'll defer...
3) As stated... Honestly, not bad. Four hours in the driver's seat is about my max stint in any vehicle. No issues there.
4) I'm about the same size as you. I think you'll be surprise at the roominess. I wouldn't wanna be in the back for more than an hour, but up front I've got no issues.

Hope this helps!

--JamesT

·
Registered
368 Posts
Car is surprisingly comfortable especially on decent highways that aren't full of pot holes.
Seats are comfortable as well for cloth seats. Not much to say on them. Manual adjustments with 4 way electric lumbar.
No rattling from interior plastics, its a surprisingly high quality feeling plastic as opposed to how you expect a cheep plastic interior to feel. The noise generator causes the windshield to vibrate the rear view mirror but thats only at a very specific throttle position on N mode. Most if not all people remove or relocate the noise maker though. The car is a sports car so dont expect a cadillac ride but all things considered its REALLY nice to live with. There aren't many sacrifices unless you're literally coming from a Mercedes or something.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've done a few long trips even in cold weather with the stock Pirellis and 19s and its a comfortable car. If you run it in eco mode when you don't care about going fast it gets great mileage. I'm shorter than you but I have the seat way up so I'd imagine you'd be just fine finding a comfortable position. The seat does get a little stiff for me after about 3-4 hours but not in a way I couldn't keep driving. Also no issues with interior noises for me, although you definitely want some vent visors if you like driving with the windows down as it buffets like crazy without them over 60mph.

Now that I put 18's and some more sidewall with an all season it is much better for daily use. Although I definitely sacrificed some grip at higher speeds, having the added traction in the rain is much nicer and we'll see if it can handle a few inches of snow this winter.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Wind visors are a 100% must have on this car. They look slick as well so its not much of a compromise but i used to go deaf at like 40mph now i can go up to 100 windows down with no buffeting, its incredible

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello All,

First post on the forum. Recently accepted a job with a long highway commute, 45+ miles one way. Will wade through the ohio winter with my Legacy, but want something a little more engaging moving forward. I've recently gotten very interested in the N, had an early 2000s civic and it sounds like the current si's still have the rev hang and latent throttle response so that's off.

Questions:
1. How does the N feel on long drives in general? Obviously the 19" rims will be 17 or 18s fairly quickly which will help some.
2. Is the interior prone to creaks and rattles with regards to all the hard plastics with age?
4. Interior seemed roomy enough, for the bigger guys (I'm 6'1" 225), does it stay roomy feeling with time?

I daily my veloster with about 47 miles one way to work and I am 6'1 210 so we have roughly the same size.

1. I have almost 21k miles on my veloster and I don't mind the 19in wheels at all. I seriously have no complaint with the ride even on these terrible California roads.
2. Have not had any cracking or problems so far with my interior.
3. Yes they are for me.
4. It still feels roomy to me even after a year of owning the car

·
Registered
4 Posts
Daily my N for 15 miles commute. Roads here are pretty shitty.
1. The car is not the most comfortable out there. My old GTI is much softer and absorbs road surface better. 19" wheels are not the softest. Also the Pirelli P Zero came with it are not the most quiet tyres.
2. No. The car's build quality is pretty good. Also because the chasis is very stiff, there is very little flex that can cause rattling.
3. Somewhat yes.
4. Yes. This car is much larger than it seems. It is wider than my old GTI. Back seat is not very spacious. Head space in the back is pretty tight.
Another problem starting to annoy me: the turning circle of this car is pretty wide. Not very easy to park. And because of the shape of the car, it's difficult for me to judge my distance towards surrounding obstacles when parking.
But overall, these are just trivial problems.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
357 Posts
Welcome...

I got my VN back in October. My commute isn't, well... WASN'T very far, but if you know Atlanta traffic, you know that even a 20 mile commute can be a 2 hour drive sometimes. Thanks to the quarantine, I've been working from home since March. So, I can't say much about daily commutes. I do sometimes miss the comfier seat that my Genesis Coupe had. Still, I don't mind the VN for the commute. I've also made several 3+ hour trips in the VN without any fatigue.

So...

1) Not much to complain about. The VN drives easy in Eco mode and, if you want to pass a left-lane slow-poke you can do so easily while at the same time putting a grin on your face. ;) (I also went with 18" wheels and all-season tires; mostly for the comfort but also for the 30 days out of the year we get down to freezing temps.)
2) I haven't had mine long enough (or put enough miles on it) to develop any creaks or rattles. I'll defer...
3) As stated... Honestly, not bad. Four hours in the driver's seat is about my max stint in any vehicle. No issues there.
4) I'm about the same size as you. I think you'll be surprise at the roominess. I wouldn't wanna be in the back for more than an hour, but up front I've got no issues.

Hope this helps!

--JamesT
Another person who went from a Genesis Coupe to a VN. :) I kept my Genny for winter use and to keep the miles down on the VN.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is great info all. @Marshall229 you're about as similar a sitch as I'm about to be in so that helps.

Keep it coming all, the more miles the merrier...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello All,

Questions:

fuseven
I commute about 20 mins and love mine for a daily driver. I’m about 16k miles now. I recently drove my VNPP the 16 hour trip to Florida one way straight through and the seats were still comfortable. I’m 5’7, but my dad is 6’ and he’s comfortable in the driver seat.
No creaks or rattles. I’m super sensitive to that too. My car before this one was a Legacy—which seemed to be a rattletrap after just a year or two.
I run my factory wheels and tires in the summer but last winter I had a set of 18” Pirellis for winter and it did pretty well. I’m in Pittsburgh and drive in Ohio often for work—your winters seem to be even worse there with high winds. While I’m ok driving my VNPP here I’d probably prefer a Legacy for the windy icy winters.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
357 Posts
After looking at the brakes I can see 18" rims might fit, but I doubt 17" in any configuration will fit. My VN will be on jack stands this winter, but when I finally shred the P Zeros I am thinking 18" rims might be nice. My eyeball says that 18" rims could be pretty tight. I have the base brakes on my Gen Coupe so I put on 17" Momo winter rims with winter tires. Works really well. Living in Pennsylvania, with roads even Zimbabwe laughs at, going to 18" seems like a good move.

Reactions: Ghost

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Less weight is a faster car especially right at the wheels. Good move. 18's will fit the PP VN, 17's will not have enough clearance.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
Questions:

Stellar. Car is smooth and stable at 80-90 MPH with no wind roar or sensitivity to cross winds. Very easy to drive at high speeds.

Haven't heard a squeak or rattle, though mine has just under 5,000 miles. Cannot speak as to how they age as my car is only a few months old.

Yes, though they're changing the seats for '21 to a lighter sport seat. I can't imagine, however, that they'll be less comfortable.

I'm 5'8 so can't answer this, though Doug DeMuro tested one on his YouTube channel and he's a very tall guy and had no complaints on this front. It hasn't gotten any less roomy feeling over time for me.

In sum: Highly recommended! About the only gripes I have is the ride can get bouncy over rough roads, even in Normal mode. Also know that the 35 series tires are prone to blister if you hit a pothole. This has already happened to me, twice (I live in Chicago), so be very careful of potholes! But these gripes realistically apply to any performance car with low profile tires. This isn't a Sante Fe or Tucson after all.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
The OP did say they were going to switch to smaller wheels so the tire issue shouldn't apply to them in they long term.

I'll chime in by saying that I took a 5 hour drive yesterday to get some of the new car break in out of the way. First hour and 15 was on the freeway (changing engine speed as much as I could) and there rest of it was driving back with avoid highways on. I was very happily surprised at how comfortable the car was throughout. Didn't feel tired of it or the seats or any noise even after all that driving. Its dual personality at the press of a button shone through, and I'm a very happy new owner.

That said, I hate the stress that comes with low profile tires, so I've already ordered 18s and tires that get here next month. I might be driving it's sibling a bit more until then, my 2019 MX-5 RF.

Still, early impressions with this car are similar to my very first car ever, an 02 Fiat Punto Sporting. Also a tiny hatchback with a playful attitude, it was all smiles and super comfortable on the freeway and extended drives everywhere.

You will not be left wanting for comfort in your commute.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, tires make a huge difference. Going from the Veloster N to my E36 M3 with its 45 series front tires on 17" rims feels roughly like going from the M3 to a 1977 Buick Electra 225 in terms of the absorption of road irregularities and potholes. So I could see why someone would change the tires on one of these.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Just an fyi. If you have a PP VN with the 19" wheels it has the big brake package on it. 17's are NOT recommended. It's less than 2mm away from the calipers. I would NOT risk it and many others will not either. Just don't want you guys to have problems.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This has been great info pouring in all. Waiting for the 2021 to come out, I believe the PP will be standard on that year, along with the aforementioned lightweight sport seats (that light up, which for some reason I'm hyped for).

18s it is, will probably run the 19s in the summer only then.

Again this has been awesome, keep it coming all

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I will say that as a bigger guy (width-wise), I'm glad I didn't wait for the 2021, unless the sport seats are optional. I've been in bucket seats and it's been a wholly unpleasant experience. The current cloth seats have really good bolstering without giving me any pain whatsoever. Granted, my other car is an ND Miata which has much less bolstering and a bunch of body roll built into its driving characteristics; YMMV as to whether the current bolstering will feel enough or whether the "sportier" seats are necessary/preferred for your usage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts