Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
884 Posts
What type of problems were there with this engine to warrant this? Makes me cautious now...

Br,

-Mike

Reactions: RedVN

·
Registered
118 Posts
What type of problems were there with this engine to warrant this? Makes me cautious now...

Br,

-Mike
I'm in the same boat as you. The way I read it, it looks like we have a lifetime warranty on our engines. But at time I'm concerned. Well if the engine catches fire then I'm sure whatever else it damages Hyundai will replace and fix. I'm thinking new car in that situation. Ha. But being serious, it is a little cause for concern I suppose.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Found this in an article just now.

"Korea's two largest automakers said they would extend the installment of the Knock Sensor Detection System (KSDS) for the early detection of engine failure."

Does anybody know if our 2019 Models have the KSDS system already?

·
Registered
876 Posts

Br,

-Mike
Not to worry, it does absolutely no good to worry about something you can't or aren't in control of to begin with.
Knock sensor are common on all engines and model cautos now-a-days and have been since the existence and use of ECU's

A Hyundai engineer testified before the NHTSA in late 2017 and provided detailed testimony with regards to the milling issues during production of the engine blocks, which left metal shaving on key areas of the crankshaft journals and other locations. The shaving broke off, causing damage to main bearing, oil pumps and other engine parts. The dreaded; Hyundai Sonata tick. No, not to be confused with the the high pressure fuel pump tick but the engine tick coming from main bearing and crankshaft.

It's good to see Hyundai stepping up and offering the warranted engine. However, according to the testimony of the engineer to the NHTSA, the majority or all the issues were corrected before the 2018/19 Theta II engines were produced.

So this is an added bonus for 2019 Theta II owners.

·
Registered
127 Posts
From what I read, at least part of the class action suit was due to Hyundai listing entire regions as "severe service" and denying warranty claims if not following the severe service schedule in the manual. Essentially all of Canada was covered by this regardless of temperature variables in the area.

I won't turn down a lifetime warranty though.

·
Super Moderator
884 Posts
Not to worry, it does absolutely no good to worry about something you can't or aren't in control of to begin with.
Knock sensor are common on all engines and model cautos now-a-days and have been since the existence and use of ECU's

A Hyundai engineer testified before the NHTSA in late 2017 and provided detailed testimony with regards to the milling issues during production of the engine blocks, which left metal shaving on key areas of the crankshaft journals and other locations. The shaving broke off, causing damage to main bearing, oil pumps and other engine parts. The dreaded; Hyundai Sonata tick. No, not to be confused with the the high pressure fuel pump tick but the engine tick coming from main bearing and crankshaft.

It's good to see Hyundai stepping up and offering the warranted engine. However, according to the testimony of the engineer to the NHTSA, the majority or all the issues were corrected before the 2018/19 Theta II engines were produced.

Excellent to hear! Now I say; "Mod On Boys!"

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
127 Posts
Assuming this is legit is there some clause that states the track day warranty is not included in the lifetime?

According to Hyundai corporate, since this car is intended for track use, using it on the track will not void the warranty.
Warranty doesn't cover tires, brake pads, and clutch wear, nor physical damage from abuse. But if the engine spins a bearing using properly weighted oil on a track day, that's going to be on Hyundai provided the black box doesn't show revving beyond redline, or there aren't ecu mods or other internal mods (bov's, head work, etc) done to the motor.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why would it not be legit??? Its a Hyundai/Kia press release.

Assuming this is legit is there some clause that states the track day warranty is not included in the lifetime?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I shared this as an informative piece. RedVN hit the nail on the head. Don't worry about it. Look at it as an added bonus.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sweet! To my understanding, a huge portion of our engine internals are different from other Theta II G4K TGDIs (like the i30N), so it may not even have the same part that is the root of the issue, and yet our engine is still covered by this? Nice!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
876 Posts
It's legitimate and the track warranty extends thru the OEM warranty period. If you have any personal doubts, I might suggest you contact Hyundai Assurance by email.
IMO that Hyundai/Kia is offering varying consolations to include lifetime warranty all the variations of the Theta II just to be safe. So we may never see a problem but benefit from the additional warranty.
"Theta II gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines, which were sold in naturally aspirated 2.0-liter and 2.4-liter displacements, and had a turbocharged derivative."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoblog.com/amp/2019/10/12/hyundai-kia-760-million-settlement-engine-fires-failures/
There are not many times in life where you get to have your cake and eat it too. This as I see it, adds the icing and allmode as well. It's a win, win situation for the original owner and the next, if you decide to sell it after the warranty expires and it doesn't go boom!

Again, this involved the entire Theta II production for the specified years. As the Hyundai engineer testified and made apparent; it involved primarily Theta II engines produced up to 2017. He stated that with 2018/19 engines the issue was corrected. Hyundai has seen fit to make them inclusive and this is just fine with me. I'm not going to; "look a gift horse in the mouth!" He can look at all my teeth, cause I'll be smiling all they way to the bank.:grin:

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's legitimate and the track warranty extends thru the OEM warranty period. If you have any personal doubts, I might suggest you contact Hyundai Assurance by email.There are not many times in life where you get to have your cake and eat it too. This as I see it, adds the icing and allmode as well. It's a win, win situation for the original owner and the next, if you decide to sell it after the warranty expires and it doesn't go boom!

Again, this involved the entire Theta II production for the specified years. As the Hyundai engineer testified and made apparent; it involved primarily Theta II engines produced up to 2017. He stated that with 2018/19 engines the issue was corrected. Hyundai has seen fit to make them inclusive and this is just fine with me. I'm not going to; "look a gift horse in the mouth!" He can look at all my teeth, cause I'll be smiling all they way to the bank.:grin:
Correct. I wouldn't worry about his issue at all. The failures in the previous Theta II's were from a manufacturing induced defect. It was not even the engineering that was bad. The manufacturing process was simply flawed. Furthermore, they should have conducted proper corrective and preventative actions regarding the manufacturing process. I feel confident that the same specific issue would not occur again. After years of dodging this stuff, I am very happy that Hyundai finally stepped up and attempted to make it right.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Just keep in mind, It may be legitimate for a news agency to print a specific time but it can be retracted anytime as well. So, until Hyundai/Kia amends the current limited warranty for Theta II owners in writing, it's simply tentative. It may be true, but requires written confirmation by Hyundai/Kia in the form of revised warranty specification. I sure it will be coming for with.

It was not even the engineering that was bad.
Hyundai Engineers set the specifications for production and regularly QC production samples. Considering it was a Hyundai Engineer who brought forth the testimony against Hyundai/Kia of his free will, with the NHTSA. The entire Hyundai engineering department was aware of the production issue and didn't make the necessary changes to tooling and robotics to solve the problems.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just keep in mind, It may be legitimate for a news agency to print a specific time but it can be retracted anytime as well. So, until Hyundai/Kia amends the current limited warranty for Theta II owners in writing, it's simply tentative. It may be true, but requires written confirmation by Hyundai/Kia in the form of revised warranty specification. I sure it will be coming for with.

Hyundai Engineers set the specifications for production and regularly QC production samples. Considering it was a Hyundai Engineer who brought forth the testimony against Hyundai/Kia of his free will, with the NHTSA. The entire Hyundai engineering department was aware of the production issue and didn't make the necessary changes to tooling and robotics to solve the problems.
I more so meant the actual engineering of the engine. The vehicle wasnt engineered to have manufacturing defects during the manufacturing process. Engineers Yes. But design engineerings, and powertrain engineers, and manufacturing engineers, and quality engineers are all different engineers not on the same teams. It wasn't a design error. It was a manufacturing error. Most people when they hear engine issues they believe that the design of the motor was faulty. Which in this instance was not the case. I am also familiar with the story. It's not like the engineers on those teams knew and necessarily did or did not want to change it. At the end of the day its going to be Hyundai corporate who makes the final decision. Because it will be a money and public relations decision.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Thank you for the clarification. I actually did quite a bit of reading on the subject, especially the US Federal Court Case brought against Hyundai/Kia thru the engineers testimony. According to the Hyundai engineer design, manufacture, and quality control engineering go hand in had at Hyundai/Kia. He stated this openly to the NHTSA. Now was this to save face for Hyundai Corporate? Who really knows but I can tell you there were engineers fired over the issue, along with fundamental changes in production, once it was made apparent.

I don't really care as long as Hyundai/Kia follows thru and revises the current warranty to reflect these changes. Once they do, we'll have it in writing from the source.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts