Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Manual Performance Blue N, stock. PPF on front.
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual says during break in to keep the revs below 4,000rpm for the first 1,000 km. I think that is a load of crap.
I don't think anyone who test drives a new N keeps the revs down at all.
This guy didn't for sure.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
The fact that people abuse and break the break-in rules during test drives, be it with a salesman next to them or not, is not news to anyone. The manual recommends what it recommends so that you can break the engine in gently for the most part and get more miles out of it in the long term. Press cars get repeatedly abused and are not meant to last 10 years. And if you buy a new car that you didn't reserve pre-delivery, you buy it knowing that it's probably had a few people break the break-in rules. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do your best to break the engine in properly once it's in your hands.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
The manual says during break in to keep the revs below 4,000rpm for the first 1,000 km. I think that is a load of crap.
I don't think anyone who test drives a new N keeps the revs down at all.
This guy didn't for sure.
The softer you run the car during longer break in periods, the more blowby you'll get afterwards. I'm not saying to WOT the car, out of the box but after about 500 miles of heat cycling the internals with 3/4 throttle is a bad thing. However the owner needs to WOT for short periods up to 30 seconds with cool down periods will seat the ring well. Run it too softly for more than 750 miles and the rings will not fully seat fully as required, hence more blowby into the crankcase. less longevity for the engine as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts