Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I know it's crazy, but I'm getting my VN this weekend and the seller has a jb4 on it. My wife wants me to have it set to map 0 so I can use 87 (I checked the manual and it says that is fine, you just won't get all the horses). My question is, if you have it on map 5 and put 87 in it, will It adjust to it in order to prevent knock and whatnot? Idk when I'm going to get the app to change it myself, and my wife is worried with the way gas prices are looking right now.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Either set it to MAP 0 or take it out. It will run alright but not a peak power delivery. Be aware of what people describe as valve clatter, it’s engine knock. Mid grade will be a better choice.😃👍🇺🇸

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Either set it to MAP 0 or take it out. It will run alright but not a peak power delivery. Be aware of what people describe as valve clatter, it’s engine knock. Mid grade will be a better choice.😃👍🇺🇸
Thanks, so you're saying people have experienced knock with 87? If there's a chance 87 can hurt my engine, then I'm not going to use it.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N PP M/T
63 Posts
I was told by Burger tuners directly that the auto learning map is not active for the Kia/Hyundai. Spend the extra money on 91 octane fuel your car will thank you for it and if your not running at least 91 remove the JB4...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks, so you're saying people have experienced knock with 87? If there's a chance 87 can hurt my engine, then I'm not going to use it.
Being turbo engine, and one with advanced timing like ours has-its straight up a bad idea. I wouldn’t run map 1 on mid grade ever, but stock you’ll be fine-ish. I just don’t see a lot of savings at the pump between mid to high for peace of mind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am not normally someone that would normally say this but the VN is not exactly a comfortable driver, it would certainly not be the car I (once my 22 gets here) I would take out for it luxurious ride. It is for me at least (it seems many others share this opinion) a winter fun car and the driving dynamics make up for the ride quality and interior. I would not do something that would diminish the fun factor and could (I have torn down high performance engines that were run on low octane gas, it was not a pretty sight) harm the engine. If your situation means you need to not spend a dollar more a gallon for gas, perhaps the VN is the wrong choice for you.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Comes down to him and his wife and what is a compromise for them. Happy wife, happy life!

After 47 years of marriage, I can personally attest to this directly.

89 octane is fine but not 87.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is probably a good point, Marriage for someone (autistic) like me did not work out very well. I live with my dogs (I do have a girlfriend a very tolerate one), they are a lot easier to please.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
515 Posts
This car was really not made for 87.
Not true. Read the manual. The engine pulls timing to adjust. My 1991 Stealth R/T did this. I am running 87 in my VN and my wife's GV70 (3.5T). Neither car has exploded. I still get 28+ mpg commuting on back roads, but the pull is not quite as good. There is an algorithm, which as I understand it, operates as follows.

Time(t0) -> advance 1 degree (up to the 91 octane tune)
Time(t1) -> advance 1 degree (up to the 91 octane tune)
etc.
If the knock sensor senses knock -> retard 3 degrees.
Rinse and repeat...

If you have been running 87 for awhile it might take the better part of a tank to get back into tune. Maybe @RedVN has some better details. I ran 87 in my BK1 turbo for most of it's life. I traded it in with over 134k miles on the clock and she still had full boost and ran smooth just like new. All you are losing is a bit of top-end power and a small hit on mileage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok so I know it's crazy, but I'm getting my VN this weekend and the seller has a jb4 on it. My wife wants me to have it set to map 0 so I can use 87 (I checked the manual and it says that is fine, you just won't get all the horses). My question is, if you have it on map 5 and put 87 in it, will It adjust to it in order to prevent knock and whatnot? Idk when I'm going to get the app to change it myself, and my wife is worried with the way gas prices are looking right now.
Yes here in upstate NY the 89 is about 4.39 and the mid is 5.09 and the highest 5.39 gas prices jumped from last week and it will keep jumping .

·
Registered
2021 VN - White
30 Posts
Yes here in upstate NY the 89 is about 4.39 and the mid is 5.09 and the highest 5.39 gas prices jumped from last week and it will keep jumping .
In upstate?? I'm seeing 3.60-4.00 at the highest for 93 in my area of upstate. So sorry for where you are, hopefully I don't get to that point, lol.

If you can and have a paid membership, get gas from BJ's, Sam's Club, etc too. Huge help on the wallet and most sell 93. Many chains also do 10c/gal discounts via free membership programs (Cumberland farms, fastrac, speedway), definitely a necessity.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In upstate?? I'm seeing 3.60-4.00 at the highest for 93 in my area of upstate. So sorry for where you are, hopefully I don't get to that point, lol.

If you can and have a paid membership, get gas from BJ's, Sam's Club, etc too. Huge help on the wallet and most sell 93. Many chains also do 10c/gal discounts via free membership programs (Cumberland farms, fastrac, speedway), definitely a necessity.
Yes in Katonah, NY is the highest . Other places like you said between $3:32 credit and $4.07

1 - 20 of 20 Posts