Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question regarding Jb4 experience. Where I'm located pretty much only have 92 octane fuel. I see Map2 on jb4 states 93. Curious if anyone has run into this and has just stayed on map 1 being only limited to 92? I was originally planning on just running map 1 but having fbo would be great to take advantage of map 2. Being octane limited though not trying to get pinging or pull timing. Any other people who live in states limited to 92 and still running map 2? Would love some input from some who have experience with this. Also not going to buy additives and boosters to throw in the tank. Want to just pour gas in at the pump and go. Otherwise I'll just stay map 1 and enjoy.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
429 Posts
FWIW. My Vibe GT required 91 octane. The engine was a Toyota 2ZZ with a 6 speed. I found with the alcohol added to the gasoline I was able to go down to 89 octane without any pinging. The alcohol has a cooling / anti-knock effect on turbos. This may have nothing to do with you. To be safe I would talk to the JB4 vendor directly. I know with some of the Genesis Coupe tunes, you had to be careful with octane.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't attempted map 2 yet. Have been rolling on map 1. Did find a gas station about 15 miles away that has 93 octane so maybe on special occasion I'll try map 2 but honestly, map 1 already feels absolutely perfect for a daily. Feels like about 20-30 hp increase and I gotta say the torque is much bigger increase according to butt dyno. According to multiple dynos I've seen this seems about right. Highly recommend. Map 1 feels like a great daily driven power boost. Enough to give that extra pull where the car seems to flatten out higher up. Unfortunately my bluetooth module is not working and they are sending a replacement. Will be nice to watch live data as I drive and log.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So haven't update post in a long while. But finally got a new bluetooth module sent to me. On map 1 thing pulls hard. Most fun change to me was how hard 4th gear pulls now! Logged and watched map2 not pulling timing and power is consistent. Had Terry over on n54tech take a look and logs checked out using my 92 around here with my mods :) Now I run map 6 daily. Been tweaking it and slightly adjusting after logging every couple days. Consistently holds 20-19 psi all the way until about 6k then trails off down to 16-17 at redline. Again, isn't pulling timing or weird spikes and pulls super strong. This car is a different animal now. Forge Intercooler and Velossa snorkel keep temps way down and in safe range. Took some modded STI to gapplebees the other day on my way home. After, he kept attempting ricer flybys and he just could not get ahead lol. These cars are so fun. Night and day now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
So haven't update post in a long while. But finally got a new bluetooth module sent to me. On map 1 thing pulls hard. Most fun change to me was how hard 4th gear pulls now! Logged and watched map2 not pulling timing and power is consistent. Had Terry over on n54tech take a look and logs checked out using my 92 around here with my mods :) Now I run map 6 daily. Been tweaking it and slightly adjusting after logging every couple days. Consistently holds 20-19 psi all the way until about 6k then trails off down to 16-17 at redline. Again, isn't pulling timing or weird spikes and pulls super strong. This car is a different animal now. Forge Intercooler and Velossa snorkel keep temps way down and in safe range. Took some modded STI to gapplebees the other day on my way home. After, he kept attempting ricer flybys and he just could not get ahead lol. These cars are so fun. Night and day now.
Damn, sounds like so much fun! Unfortunately I can’t get even 92 in California :(

Reactions: sonyerickson88

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn, sounds like so much fun! Unfortunately I can’t get even 92 in California :(
It is man. Very happy with the results. Everyday driving feels pretty much like stock except a tad more low end during casual driving but when you get into it, it rips! Don't think I'll be pushing for more. Feel I'm at a good balance of power and still reliable :)

Reactions: SD VeloN

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am very new to JB4 and come from owning a 2016 Focus ST which recommended JB4 as well.
What spark plugs should I get and other than plugs, what other upgrades should I get before purchasing the JB4 module

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am very new to JB4 and come from owning a 2016 Focus ST which recommended JB4 as well.
What spark plugs should I get and other than plugs, what other upgrades should I get before purchasing the JB4 module
HKS M-Series Super Fire Racing Spark Plugs for 2019 Hyundai Veloster N is what I'm using. Typically people gap them to .022-.024 if you just do plugs my personal opinion I'd say stick to map 1. If you want to go to different map or more aggressive it would be good insurance to upgrade your intercooler and probably a downpipe for overall better charge and evacuation of turbo system. Although many others may run more aggressive without those mods. I personally wouldn't. Just my opinion. Map1 makes the car feel much stronger than stock.

Reactions: SD VeloN
1 - 8 of 8 Posts