Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Veloster N Performance Blue Base
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking into piggyback tunes for my car still. The AFE Scorcher is quite a bit cheaper than the JB4 or REV6 and I was wondering if anyone knew why. I’d really appreciate an in depth of how it works and an overall rating of the product.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
I have it and it works good. The install is pretty easy too. It has 4 setting on it. Green is stock, yellow is sport, orange is sport +, and red is RACE. I would at least get an intake and dp if you decide to use the red mode often. Hope this helps and if you have any more ?'s, just ask.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have it and it works good. The install is pretty easy too. It has 4 setting on it. Green is stock, yellow is sport, orange is sport +, and red is RACE. I would at least get an intake and dp if you decide to use the red mode often. Hope this helps and if you have any more ?'s, just ask.

Best regards,

-Mike
Do you know how much boost it adds in each mode and is it noticeably different from the stock tune?

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Yes, it's easily noticeable from stock, even the yellow map. I believe it's 2lbs. per map. but this is just an estimation.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
64 Posts
I recommend the scorcher hands down. You can feel it! I have a friend with the JB4 on his N and on the default map 1 i'm going to say that i feel the scorcher on race setting feels a little more aggressive then the JB4 on map1.
If you are someone who wants to just plug in your tune then forget about it, just drive around and have a good time, then the AFE is the way to go. But if you plan on making adjustments and making custom tune maps then the JB4 or Rev6 has it beat there. It just matters what you want to do with your N, but i have no regrets.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I recommend the scorcher hands down. You can feel it! I have a friend with the JB4 on his N and on the default map 1 i'm going to say that i feel the scorcher on race setting feels a little more aggressive then the JB4 on map1.
If you are someone who wants to just plug in your tune then forget about it, just drive around and have a good time, then the AFE is the way to go. But if you plan on making adjustments and making custom tune maps then the JB4 or Rev6 has it beat there. It just matters what you want to do with your N, but i have no regrets.
Do you drive it in RACE Mode often or what mode do you use for daily driving. I’m looking for more speed all around and I have upgraded spark plugs an intake, snorkel, and I will have a catch can soon.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
@Ghost

What catch can are you using? What spark plugs are you using with Scorcher? Are you running (orange) mostly?

Thanks,
I use a Mishimoto catch can made for the 1.6 Veloster. It works GREAT! This was the only one available when I was looking. It was back in 2019. For plugs I am using the HKS-M45XL, gapped at .026. I mostly use the stock tune in custom with everything set to sport + except the steering and suspension. Those are on normal. I only use the Scorcher sometimes when I feel like a spirited drive. I drive mostly highway. I have a 33 mile commute and 27 miles of it are on the highway. I have NO regrets buying it. I would not use the red race mode on the Scorcher and race mode together on the Hyundai tune unless you have a DP and intake. I feel it's a little too much if you don't have those. If you have any more ?'s, just ask. Be happy to help.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
276 Posts
I use a Mishimoto catch can made for the 1.6 Veloster. It works GREAT! This was the only one available when I was looking. It was back in 2019. For plugs I am using the HKS-M45XL, gapped at .026. I mostly use the stock tune in custom with everything set to sport + except the steering and suspension. Those are on normal. I only use the Scorcher sometimes when I feel like a spirited drive. I drive mostly highway. I have a 33 mile commute and 27 miles of it are on the highway. I have NO regrets buying it. I would not use the red race mode on the Scorcher and race mode together on the Hyundai tune unless you have a DP and intake. I feel it's a little too much if you don't have those. If you have any more ?'s, just ask. Be happy to help.

Best regards,

-Mike
Thank you GHOST!!!! THIS HELPS A LOT.

-JE

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Thank you GHOST!!!! THIS HELPS A LOT.
No problem. Oh I forgot, I have NOT fouled out the plugs either. The Scorcher is a great value for the money. I'm cheap so this is why I took a shot at it when Afe released it. I did go and research the Stinger places and it got good reviews from them. This really made my mind up on it to be honest. When I bought mine it was only 320 bucks.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do you drive it in RACE Mode often or what mode do you use for daily driving. I’m looking for more speed all around and I have upgraded spark plugs an intake, snorkel, and I will have a catch can soon.
I leave it in race mode all spring and summer long , only changing settings through the drive modes of the car on the steering wheel and the car runs like a champ the whole time. Plugs are needed for race setting though, but i use the NGK plugs with the .022 gap which is 1/3 of the price of those HKS plugs, and they work fine but only last 15k miles. During the winter and fall i switch the scorcher to orange mode (sport) but only because i live in california and the formula of gas changes for winter. and i notice the engine starts to retard it self unless i add octane booster. if I add octane booster to the winter formula gas the engine runs fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts